DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Hiccups?

Citizen Flier

Reactions
I was capturing video in a windless area yesterday. Flying forward, I start turning slowly to the right & simultaneously directing the gimbal downward for an overhead shot. There's a very noticeable "hiccup" in the video sequence -which I am guessing was gimbal related. While flying in light fog recently, the gimbal got "stuck" in the extreme downward position for the duration of the flight. Full movement was restored when tested a day later. Seems like a possibility these malfunctions are somehow connected. I have not crashed this unit.

I often see slight hiccups in many drone videos. I'm never sure whether this is an electronic flaw -perhaps buffer related- or mechanical. I originally suspected a mechanical error, but there's a jitter aspect to the video that seems like a capture error.

I also have a 3 motor gimbal steadicam for my DSLR, and that exhibits the occasional hiccup or lurch typically when turning. I'm guessing that certain motions tend to stress gimbal motors. I have my M2P gimbal movements set very slow, and I try to avoid any sudden movements, esp. for video. I suspect this might require a trip the the DJI Doctor.
Below is a link to a short clip with the "hiccup". It is an industrial area, so perhaps there was some type of RF interference? (I did not receive any alerts to that effect)
Any thoughts on known factors, or suggestions? Thanks.

Reactions: Gindra
I was capturing video in a windless area yesterday. Flying forward, I start turning slowly to the right & simultaneously directing the gimbal downward for an overhead shot. There's a very noticeable "hiccup" in the video sequence -which I am guessing was gimbal related. While flying in light fog recently, the gimbal got "stuck" in the extreme downward position for the duration of the flight. Full movement was restored when tested a day later. Seems like a possibility these malfunctions are somehow connected. I have not crashed this unit.

I often see slight hiccups in many drone videos. I'm never sure whether this is an electronic flaw -perhaps buffer related- or mechanical. I originally suspected a mechanical error, but there's a jitter aspect to the video that seems like a capture error.

I also have a 3 motor gimbal steadicam for my DSLR, and that exhibits the occasional hiccup or lurch typically when turning. I'm guessing that certain motions tend to stress gimbal motors. I have my M2P gimbal movements set very slow, and I try to avoid any sudden movements, esp. for video. I suspect this might require a trip the the DJI Doctor.
Below is a link to a short clip with the "hiccup". It is an industrial area, so perhaps there was some type of RF interference? (I did not receive any alerts to that effect)

@Citizen Flier ... please make the video public

That is usually related to when you hit the range limit. Happens to me all the time. The camera starts this "hiccup". How far away were you when tis occurred?

I have a Mavic 2 Zoom and had the same issue. Replaced the gimbal, even worse. I then replaced it with a pro camera. That was bad also. Back to buying a zoom camera on ebay. Terrible, would not stay steady more than 3 seconds. Returned it, bought a 2pro camera and after 2 flights, seems flawless. I would have bet the house it was a drone issue, but I think the mavic 2 pro/zoom gimbal is a serious issue that is under reported

That is usually related to when you hit the range limit. Happens to me all the time. The camera starts this "hiccup". How far away were you when tis occurred?
IT HAPPENED TO ME 200FT AWAY, 100 FT UP...

I'm on my 4th gimbal...this is an issue that is more prevalent than people realize. I never had issues with Mavic air but the 2 which I otherwise love, has given me fits with gimbal issues...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent