DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal issues, firmware issues Assistant 2 issues. HELP!

Joeang16

Reactions
I've been reading the forms for awhile now and have come to see that the majority of Mav flyers here, truly want to help. This is my first post, and heavy headed plea for help.
I've had my beautiful bird since April of last year, have logged over 300+ flights with only 1 misshap in the first 10 flights. I over compensated, due to the wind that day, as I was landing in between the backside of an apartment building and the fence behind it as the wind abruptly stopped. My bird hit the wall, got gimbal shakes, looked how to fix it, not the vibration board being jarred out of place. Week or so later finally fixed her. The gimbal motor connected to the camera face
Came loose from the brushless motor itself. Been beautiful skies since! Not one problem. I've updated when asked with not one glitch, until recently. I, for whatever reason, hadn't updated in like 2 months.

Day after update:
Gimbal shake followed by shake error.
Checked her out, NOTHING!
Day two: violently shaking, gimbal motor overload, error, check gimbal clamp, factory reset, fine for five minutes, take off and shakes.
Landed and now gimbal looks straight down and tries to calibrate, right, left, up then down left right and won't lift back up. Repeat.
Abnormal firmware, motor overload, check gimbal clamp.
Forms I've read have had lots of similar issues after update. DJI is no help because I fixed her the first time and broke warranty. Don't know what firm ware DJI assistant 2 recognized my Mav but doesn't show firmware version or update options. So I tried rolling back FW to .700 (thank you Dumbledore) can't backup FW due to failed IP (tried static IP, .43, no firewall nothing)
I flashed anyway. 5 minutes in assistant say 100% complete. I still waited 20 minutes turned on RC, connection is fine, I can still see through the camera, GPS mode and GIMBAL MOTOR OVER LOAD! Flex ribbon is fine but I'll change it anyway tonight. Just got out of work on my way to my Amazon same day delivery. Sorry about being long winded but my fiancee doesn't understand a word I'm talking about. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. And if you're in town, Hollywood, you can come as a guest of the Castle. Thanks in advance.

I’ve been having these gimbal issues as well (off and on) since last Sunday and seem to have figured out a solution however, the issues seem to keep coming back.

Here is what I’ve been doing to fix it (even if only temporarily)...

1) When I first got the “Overloaded motor” with no gimbal clamp on and the whole gimbal that won’t look up issue, I found that someone’s suggestion of turning the Mavic on while holding it on its side seemed to at least get it passed the error.

2) Without this next step though I found that I had to do step 1 each time I turned the Mavic on however, while still on (after starting holding sideways) I found that if I ran the Gimbal Auto Calibration (from settings) after, it seemed to (at least temporarily) solve my problem and the Mavic would start up and pass the usual start up gimbal calibration. Bam! I thought I had it fixed.

Unfortuanately after a test flight and things working fine, the next day I started having issues with the shake as you describe. I also had the Overload issue again and the trick above only worked after I also did the 3rd trick below as well.

3) To fix the shake issue I started pulling the little rounded tabs on the front of the gimbal base (with the rubber band type bouncy connectors) out past the Mavic frame and setting the back end up over the bracket thing that it usually sits under then sticking the front rounded tabs back under the frame.

I was then starting it up and turning it off (you’ll get “Abnormal Gimbal Shake” message if you leave it like that and fly which is what happened the first time I did this) THEN when the Mavic was back off I was putting it all back in it’s correct position (pulling the rounded front tabs back out so you can put the back of gimbal plate back under the bracket thing then making sure front rounded tabs are back under) THEN I’d start the Mavic back up and it would be fine (at least for some flights).

The shake did return again and I also had an issue that looked like the warping you get looking through gas or a mirage from heat (I’m guessing it’s some digital image stabilization issue?). Anyway, pulling the gimbal out and over then back in seemed to fix these gimbal issues numerous times. I’m pretty sure it even worked without the start up and turn off step while the gimbal back was above the little bracket at least once. Maybe something about just pulling the gimbal out and back does something?!?

Super odd but this has been working for me over this last week since I started having the issues in the first place. Still annoying that I continue to still have gimbal issues but I’m getting faster with the above and it DOES seem to get me flying and shooting again.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

I’ve been having these gimbal issues as well (off and on) since last Sunday and seem to have figured out a solution however, the issues seem to keep coming back.

Here is what I’ve been doing to fix it (even if only temporarily)...

1) When I first got the “Overloaded motor” with no gimbal clamp on and the whole gimbal that won’t look up issue, I found that someone’s suggestion of turning the Mavic on while holding it on its side seemed to at least get it passed the error.

2) Without this next step though I found that I had to do step 1 each time I turned the Mavic on however, while still on (after starting holding sideways) I found that if I ran the Gimbal Auto Calibration (from settings) after, it seemed to (at least temporarily) solve my problem and the Mavic would start up and pass the usual start up gimbal calibration. Bam! I thought I had it fixed.

Unfortuanately after a test flight and things working fine, the next day I started having issues with the shake as you describe. I also had the Overload issue again and the trick above only worked after I also did the 3rd trick below as well.

3) To fix the shake issue I started pulling the little rounded tabs on the front of the gimbal base (with the rubber band type bouncy connectors) out past the Mavic frame and setting the back end up over the bracket thing that it usually sits under then sticking the front rounded tabs back under the frame.

I was then starting it up and turning it off (you’ll get “Abnormal Gimbal Shake” message if you leave it like that and fly which is what happened the first time I did this) THEN when the Mavic was back off I was putting it all back in it’s correct position (pulling the rounded front tabs back out so you can put the back of gimbal plate back under the bracket thing then making sure front rounded tabs are back under) THEN I’d start the Mavic back up and it would be fine (at least for some flights).

The shake did return again and I also had an issue that looked like the warping you get looking through gas or a mirage from heat (I’m guessing it’s some digital image stabilization issue?). Anyway, pulling the gimbal out and over then back in seemed to fix these gimbal issues numerous times. I’m pretty sure it even worked without the start up and turn off step while the gimbal back was above the little bracket at least once. Maybe something about just pulling the gimbal out and back does something?!?

Super odd but this has been working for me over this last week since I started having the issues in the first place. Still annoying that I continue to still have gimbal issues but I’m getting faster with the above and it DOES seem to get me flying and shooting again.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
Thank you so much. I will try it out as soon as I get out of work! I hope it works, even if it just temporary. I can't help but wonder in it had to do with the update though.

It’s very possibly related to updates I think. I had just done the “Precise Fly Safe Database” update the night before having my first issue and there was another update just a week later too. Let me know if you have any luck.

It’s very possibly related to updates I think. I had just done the “Precise Fly Safe Database” update the night before having my first issue and there was another update just a week later too. Let me know if you have any luck.
Just to update, and once again thank you for your advice and input.

I finally put my Mav back together tonight (This being the third time I've taken her apart after changing the ribbon cable) to try out your method to at least get a hope flight. Instead I methodically went through all the gimbal connections (Magnifying glass and all) and made sure connections were sold, free of glue or any other debris that could be obstructing the the signal to the gimbal. Used rocket to blow any and all dust free before connecting and and all the relays, and then waited additional 30 minutes before preceding. Finally I decided to start her up and find out what's up. Didn't know if I wanted an RC start up or plug her up to the assistant 2 for a refresh of the latest update. With Mav plugged into laptop (win 10) and phone to RC (android galaxy s8+) then immediately unplugged my Mav from the laptop because I instantly thought let me do the RC connection and see if the go app sides to update again. Lo and behold a task to update firmware because abnormality to peripheral devices.
Gimbal went through it's normal starter process put its head facing straight down and then all of a sudden look straight up and forward the apps that I had Campbell Shake but there was none I need to hear the motors inside of the camera focusing at all so I said that I am you need to be calibrated that it was calibrating it and not to move it again and started updating sorry. 44% download updated recalibrated her and she works fine at least the gimbal does it is responsive it finally passed in calibration and went past 5% thank God! The only other extra thing that I did was that yesterday,when I was taking her apart, I kind of pryied the arm of the gimbal a little bit because that's where I felt a lot of the heat coming from other than that put it back together. Also know there was nothing wrong with my other ribbon cable because I checked for continuity with my multimeter took a long time but it was fine. I don't know if it was RI initiating the firmware or making sure that there was no debris but just to let you know she is working fine gimbal is straight looks like I'm ready to fly tomorrow I hope the same goes for you thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas