DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Issues - VPS/IMU/Gimbal Calibration?

Citizen Flier

Reactions
I have had gimbal issues during the last 2 flights. In one flight, gimbal got "stuck" in downward position. In next flight ( 2 days ago) the SC screen prompted that gimbal was overloaded. (I had only a polarpro ND filter mounted). The unit would not fly. I ran the gimbal calibration, and gimbal function seemed restored. I made a test flight which went OK, until gimbal flopped to left about 45º off level. I flew back & ended flight.

Today I contacted DJI Support & was advised to Calibrate Vision System with DJI Assistant 2. But I was suddenly disconnected from the Tech Support phone call. I ran the Vision System calibration & passed. Gimbal appears to be in correct in horizontal position now. My plan is to run the Gimbal Calibration again from the smart controller, AND then IMU calibration. After that I plan to test the gimbal with a short flight. If any failures, I would contact DJI again & inquire about repair.

This drone has not crashed or been damaged. But it IS a replacement from a unit that crashed & was replaced under DJI Care. The tech I just spoke to explained that there is only a THIRTY DAY warranty on the replacement unit, which has expired. So I'm guessing that I would either have to pay for this repair or go to my DJI Care plan, which I would prefer to save for future crash coverage.

I'm still a fairly new user, and would appreciate any feedback from the experts here on this plan of action. Thanks!

I have had gimbal issues during the last 2 flights. In one flight, gimbal got "stuck" in downward position. In next flight ( 2 days ago) the SC screen prompted that gimbal was overloaded. (I had only a polarpro ND filter mounted). The unit would not fly. I ran the gimbal calibration, and gimbal function seemed restored. I made a test flight which went OK, until gimbal flopped to left about 45º off level. I flew back & ended flight.

Today I contacted DJI Support & was advised to Calibrate Vision System with DJI Assistant 2. But I was suddenly disconnected from the Tech Support phone call. I ran the Vision System calibration & passed. Gimbal appears to be in correct in horizontal position now. My plan is to run the Gimbal Calibration again from the smart controller, AND then IMU calibration. After that I plan to test the gimbal with a short flight. If any failures, I would contact DJI again & inquire about repair.

This drone has not crashed or been damaged. But it IS a replacement from a unit that crashed & was replaced under DJI Care. The tech I just spoke to explained that there is only a THIRTY DAY warranty on the replacement unit, which has expired. So I'm guessing that I would either have to pay for this repair or go to my DJI Care plan, which I would prefer to save for future crash coverage.

I'm still a fairly new user, and would appreciate any feedback from the experts here on this plan of action. Thanks!
Contact them and see if they force the use of DJICARE for their fictive drone. The PP filters work fine if attached properly (they have a video on it)... never a problem on my M2P in almost a year.

Reactions: Citizen Flier
As mentioned above, I calibrated the Vision System, and recalibrated the Gimbal. Am now Calibrating IMU. But the IMU calibration has been running for at least 30mins (3/5 is indicated) and there seems to be no change. The DJI tech told me IMU calibration can take 30mins -is that typical? Worried that it might somehow be "stuck". I am doing this indoors due to weather. Or should IMU Calibration be performed outside with no obstruction & a clear view for Sat/Nav?

Gimbal, Vision System & IMU Calibration seem to have resolved gimbal issue. Need to pay attention to specified orientation for IMU calibration, if errors, calibration will stall. Goes quickly if procedures followed correctly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada