DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal lock

Jim_bo

Reactions
Is it really necessary to keep the gimbal lock on when not in use? It is such a pain taking the cover and lock off every time I simply want to start up the mavic, but I hate seeing the camera bounce around if I don't have the lock on.

You should put the gimbal lock back on before transporting your Mavic anywhere. If you're just going to sit your Mavic on a table at home, then you don't need to reinstall the gimbal lock.

I agree with Jim_bo, putting that gimbal lock back on takes about 90% of my pack up time. Is there a trick to doing it quickly and without pushing the camera around?

Just wait a few months and third party fancy gimbal locks will be on the market :)

I agree with Jim_bo, putting that gimbal lock back on takes about 90% of my pack up time. Is there a trick to doing it quickly and without pushing the camera around?

I just lay the Mavic on its back and while holding the camera with my fingers from my left hand I slide the lock on with my right. Takes about 5 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I agree it is not that difficult, you do take the dome off before you fly anyway right? As said if you are not transporting it or moving it around a lot you probably don't need it but if you think any shock could come to the Mavic I would take the few seconds to put the clamp back on and avoid what could be a costly repair.

I have no issues doing as @ludeman mentioned and just flip the Mavic over and use one hand to hold the camera while inserting the clamp. When inserting the clamp make sure the camera is straight so that the tab is straight down and will slide into the cutout on the clamp. Also make sure the 2 tabs inside the clamp are going into the 2 open slots on the back of the camera as you are pushing the clamp in.

Reactions: ludeman
Is there a trick to doing it quickly and without pushing the camera around?
Follow my instructions here a few times in a row and you should be able to do it in about 3 seconds.

What about leaving the clamp on when powering up Mavic. For example offloading media via USB. Will leaving the clamp on damage the gimbal?

What about leaving the clamp on when powering up Mavic. For example offloading media via USB. Will leaving the clamp on damage the gimbal?

I would not recommend it, if you turn the Mavic on with the clamp in place you can hear the gimbal motors trying to work and the pressure on them cannot be good. I would recommend pulling the card out and copy media without turning on the Mavic. Saves some battery that way to.

Reactions: TheloniasMark
anytime you power on the Mavic, the gimbal lock need to be removed or you will get gimbal errors and potentially burn up the gimbal drive motor

Reactions: TheloniasMark
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143