DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal movement throwing compass error

KaiservonPoopChute

Reactions
Hello fellow mavic pilots. I have this strange issue with the recent version of DJI Go where moving the gimbal toward either extreme (30, -80 to -90 degrees) throws a compass error. Specifically, the app tells me to either move the aircraft or recalibrate the compass. If I adjust the gimbal away from either end point the compass error goes away. I do not expereince this issue while using Litchi. The mavic flies normally and does not exhibit any other odd behavior. I performed a gimbal calibration but the problem still exists. Any ideas and is this something I should be worried about despite this issue not appearing in the Litchi app?

I'm having gimbal and compass problems after the last upgrade software.

Not as you are only when gimbal in extreme position but all the time in flight. Email to dji and they are taking it back. Good luck with it.

Have you done a compass calibration?
I have not but only because finding a suitable place in a big city to perform a compass calibration is a bit difficult. I'm going to find a field somewhere where I can perform a calibration but I find it odd that it only happens at either extreme of gimbal movement.

I live in a big city, and as long as I am are away from most metallic objects it should calibrate just fine. I never turn on my Mavic from inside the car, it always gives me a compass error.

I find it odd that it only happens at either extreme of gimbal movement.

Yes, that's odd. The gimbal is an integral part of the drone, so gimbal movement should not affect it, but in your case it does. It could be the silver stranded video cable throwing the compass out of whack when you rotate the gimbal because the cable changes position during the gimbal pitch movement, but who knows. Let us know after you calibrate the compass.

Yes, that's odd. The gimbal is an integral part of the drone, so gimbal movement should not affect it, but in your case it does. It could be the silver stranded video cable throwing the compass out of whack when you rotate the gimbal because the cable changes position during the gimbal pitch movement, but who knows. Let us know after you calibrate the compass.
Thank you for your replies Thunder. I'm going to take it to a park this afternoon and recalibrate the compass. I'll report back with my findings.

Something I failed to mention but want to add is that the error does not appear in any of my flight logs on Airdata. I went through every flight where I experienced this issue but the error does not appear. I'm still going to perform a compass calibration but I wanted to add this bit of information.

I'm facing this same issue, take hundreds of attempts to a successful calibration.
so disappointed

I recorded the error, you can see bellow
(it's in portuguese)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters