DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal not sitting correctly.

Cam Chorley

Reactions
Hi guys,

Ever since I’ve had my Mavic the footage just hasn’t looked right. The horizon is constantly slanted.

I have followed lots of online tutorials and DJI Customer Support have been useless.

I’ve tried adjusting the gimbal manually which does the trick until I pan and the gimbal seems tilted again.

I’ve also calibrated the gimbal, compass and IMU which still leaves the gimbal in the same tilted position.

Lastly I have tried pressing button on rear of smart controller to send gimbal to the straight down position and then again to bring it up to centre but it seems to think that centre is tilted.

Is there anyway to correct this or do I have a faulty unit? Never crashed the drone.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

(Image isn’t mine but shows roughly how the gimbal sits).

Attachments

• 8FA6D621-5C23-4BD4-9E6A-34F9B17CB975.jpeg
    8FA6D621-5C23-4BD4-9E6A-34F9B17CB975.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 70
Hi guys,

Ever since I’ve had my Mavic the footage just hasn’t looked right. The horizon is constantly slanted.

I have followed lots of online tutorials and DJI Customer Support have been useless.

I’ve tried adjusting the gimbal manually which does the trick until I pan and the gimbal seems tilted again.

I’ve also calibrated the gimbal, compass and IMU which still leaves the gimbal in the same tilted position.

Lastly I have tried pressing button on rear of smart controller to send gimbal to the straight down position and then again to bring it up to centre but it seems to think that centre is tilted.

Is there anyway to correct this or do I have a faulty unit? Never crashed the drone.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

(Image isn’t mine but shows roughly how the gimbal sits).

I have exactly the same problem with my M2P and returned it to DJI last week. I will let you know what the prognosis is.

Reactions: Lothman
Do let me know! Be interested to see if it’s worth contacting them again.
I received a email from dji today apparently it has a faulty right hand gimble arm sensor. They have dispatched a brand new (not a refurb unit ) to me today. I ran the new serial number through the serial number checker and it came back as being manufactured in mid May 2020. I have heard only bad things about Dji customer service but I am more than impressed with them. Thank you DJI.

On a side not I have ordered a new inspire 2 with the x5s camera and a whole load of goodies including 2 ultra brights a cedence controller, 8 batteries, ssd cards and a few other bits. Next on the list is a M600 pro and Ronin Mk to carry my black magic URSA mini camera.

Reactions: Thomas B
That is EXACTLY the problem I just posted about this morning!! Any suggestions on how to reach DJI specifically about this problem? Did you simply send them the same photo you posted here?

Many thanks!!

-Chris

Nope no pictures. Go onto DJI website and go to supports. Follow all the buttons to get through to online chat and tell them about it. They’ll run through some things to try and then sort out a case for you. They should send you the postage label a couple of days after the case is opened and then just drop off at a UPS collection point. Sent mine last Friday and waiting to hear.

I have the same issue. It seems like the gimbal is very very slow in reacting to changes in the M2P's level. I've included a short video showing this. The M2P is flying right-to left using only the right stick. You can see the gimbal slowly correct when the M2P starts or stops. When it stops at the end you can see it actually wobble slowly. It's like an inertial lag and the gimbal is damped in some viscous fluid. @Oldmanoftheworld: is this the issue you had?

It's good to hear that DJI is acknowledging this issue; I'll be contacting DJI Support after posting this note.

So, read this and thought....that sucks for those people. I had this issue and thought it to be resolved with the last firmware. Just went flying tonight and it’s definitely still an issue. Thanks for this post. I’ll be following up with DJI.

Reactions: daasmangi
I have the same issue. It seems like the gimbal is very very slow in reacting to changes in the M2P's level. I've included a short video showing this. The M2P is flying right-to left using only the right stick. You can see the gimbal slowly correct when the M2P starts or stops. When it stops at the end you can see it actually wobble slowly. It's like an inertial lag and the gimbal is damped in some viscous fluid. @Oldmanoftheworld: is this the issue you had?

It's good to hear that DJI is acknowledging this issue; I'll be contacting DJI Support after posting this note.

Just opened my case with DJI support. This took two phone calls. The first call the guy I got told me to switch to Sport mode and if that solved the issue then just leave it it sport mode. It made me laugh but I tried it anyway. No joy, but I wasn't expecting any.

The second call got me a person who really seemed to understand. He created the case and went over all of the terms and conditions to ensure I understood them as well. DJI certainly needs more people like him. The shipping label should be here in two days and standard turn around looks to be two weeks. I'll add another two weeks just for grins.

I have a similar issue, when flying side way my gimbal tilts, so i have to wait a few seconds for it to relevel it self before I can take a photo.... very frustrating
Cheers
Daasmangi

So, read this and thought....that sucks for those people. I had this issue and thought it to be resolved with the last firmware. Just went flying tonight and it’s definitely still an issue. Thanks for this post. I’ll be following up with DJI.

I’ve been hearing the same thing. For months now.

Just contacted DJI and they said they couldn't diagnose or do anything until I sent a video showing the cockeyed gimbal alignment. That's a pain!

Just contacted DJI and they said they couldn't diagnose or do anything until I sent a video showing the cockeyed gimbal alignment. That's a pain!
i sent mine back. they ask for proof of purchase. i used a copy of my invoice and that worked fine. i also included a detailed written description of the problem. i made a small video that demonstated the problem, posted it on youtube and included the link with the problem description.

i received an email when they received the package, when they began the problem diagnosis, when they determined the resolution, when the repair had been completed and when the package was shipped back.

they said the part replaced was the Mavic 2 Pro Gimbal Axis Arm Module (RH) but provided no further detail. their emails described the process as repair, flight test and quality assurance check. the package was shipped back yesterday and is due in the next few days.

i can't complain about this; they did what they said they would do. the proof of the pudding will be to see if the problem is truly gone when i get the unit back.

That’s exactly what the problem was with all 3 of mine, in the end I contacted the company that supplied the drone as it was still under warranty. They tried to say as the original one was replaced by DJI the warranty was no longer valid (new drone had a different serial number) so I got our legal department to fire a few emails at them and they got the drone replaced again by DJI. The new one has been fine and keeps a perfectly level horizon unlike the previous ones.

A very very frustrating process with DJI replacing a faulty drone with a faulty drone that was replaced with a faulty drone. Every time was reported by DJI as right hand gimble arm module.

That’s exactly what the problem was with all 3 of mine, in the end I contacted the company that supplied the drone as it was still under warranty. They tried to say as the original one was replaced by DJI the warranty was no longer valid (new drone had a different serial number) so I got our legal department to fire a few emails at them and they got the drone replaced again by DJI. The new one has been fine and keeps a perfectly level horizon unlike the previous ones.

A very very frustrating process with DJI replacing a faulty drone with a faulty drone that was replaced with a faulty drone. Every time was reported by DJI as right hand gimble arm module.
tru dat... the serial number decoder i used on my original unit says 9 nov 2019 for the mavic and 30 oct 2019 for the gimbal. sounds to me like they got a batch of bad RH modules... a large batch. all of dji's emails make it sound like they replaced the RM gimbal module and i'll get my opriginal mavic unit back. we'll see. it's encouraging to hear that yours is now working as expected.

usp says my packge will be delivered wednesday, right at the start of a streak of 80% rain chance days... figures...

Mine says: build on: 24. September 2019. Pretty close build dates for units with the gimbal level issue.

I received my repaired Mavic 2 Pro today from the DJI service center in Grapevine TX. Their email to me stated they replaced the Gimbal Axis Arm Module (RH) but what I received was a completely new unit. The serial number decodes to 16 JUN 2020 and the gimbal serial number decodes to 15 JUN 2020. IT WORKS! Absolutely flat horizon no matter what I do! I had to activate it, link it to my controller and get yet another FAA ID, but hey... that's easy stuff. I was sweating it wondering if it would work or not. I have some jobs lined up and I'm eager to get into this having the horizon issue behind me.

MORAL: If you have the horizon problem send it back to DJI and follow their instructions to the letter. If they tell you to put your left hand on your right ear, do it. I really had no problems with this. They did everything they said they would and all it cost me was the $5 for another FAA ID.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121