DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal not staying level during flight

Jaydawgx7

Reactions
I've found a few old threads for this issue but nothing recent... I'm having an issue where my gimbal is not staying level with the horizon during flight. At this point, I've factory reset the drone, refreshed the latest firmware, re-did the IMU cal, compass cal, and gimbal cal. I have adjusted the gimbal manually via the app while it was sitting on a level surface to make it exact... While flying, the horizon usually starts off perfectly level, then ends up with a pretty large angle. It's not the biggest deal in the world, but it kinda ruins my sunset hyperlapse videos. I can't imagine this is normal even when the wind is pretty strong because the gimbal can angle quite far. Any one else seeing these issues? Is there anything else I should try, or is this something I should try to have it replaced under warranty for? I've attached a screenshot to show how bad the angle is sometimes. There was only a slight breeze during this flight

Attachments

• Gimbal.png
    Gimbal.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 53
there are several reasons that will cause this type of problem forgetting to remove the gimbal guard can cause an issue, debris in the gimbal motors causing friction,damaged control cables from the camera board it being in a crash the list goes on the only real way to be sure is to get it to a recognised repair shop they should be able to diagnose the problem

there are several reasons that will cause this type of problem forgetting to remove the gimbal guard can cause an issue, debris in the gimbal motors causing friction,damaged control cables from the camera board it being in a crash the list goes on the only real way to be sure is to get it to a recognised repair shop they should be able to diagnose the problem

Thanks for the reply. This Mavic is only ~10 days old and has not been in a crash nor should it be dirty. I also noticed this behavior on the very first flight. It's odd, it will start off level, then randomly just tilt and stay there for a while. A few minutes later it may or may not level off again. It just doesn't seem right so I'll probably try and have it replaced as I'm also having an issue with not being able to silence the RTH beep with the power button (even with a full battery) and the drone behaves erratically when it's landing on it's own and i try to slightly adjust the location hit my landing pad.

Thanks for the reply. This Mavic is only ~10 days old and has not been in a crash nor should it be dirty. I also noticed this behavior on the very first flight. It's odd, it will start off level, then randomly just tilt and stay there for a while. A few minutes later it may or may not level off again. It just doesn't seem right so I'll probably try and have it replaced as I'm also having an issue with not being able to silence the RTH beep with the power button (even with a full battery) and the drone behaves erratically when it's landing on it's own and i try to slightly adjust the location hit my landing pad.
no worries sounds like you received a faulty unit hope you get it sorted

Not sure how bad your horizon is tilted, but it will never be perfect. Compared to my P3, the M2 is quite good.

to save making a new thread, I thought I’d tag into here.

I have an issue, where my M2P camera is always pointing slightly to one side. It makes it look like I’m always slewing along, rather than going in a straight line.

Is there a way to correct this? I tried a gimbal calibrate.

to save making a new thread, I thought I’d tag into here.

I have an issue, where my M2P camera is always pointing slightly to one side. It makes it look like I’m always slewing along, rather than going in a straight line.

Is there a way to correct this? I tried a gimbal calibrate.
you did sit it on the ground "level" then calibrate?

With the Phantom gimbals, sometimes one of the motors would get out of alignment. I think the symptom usually was that it wouldn't complete initialization. Perhaps that's the issue here with the yaw motor and arm.

It seems to be panning of the camera. The drone is flying ‘true’

it is admittedly worse if I’m flying into any kind of side-wind. Not enough to really alter the drones AoA majorly, though.

It seems to be panning of the camera. The drone is flying ‘true’

it is admittedly worse if I’m flying into any kind of side-wind. Not enough to really alter the drones AoA majorly, though.

I haven't played with it much to know how it reacts/resets, but you can move the gimbal left/right/up/down during flight by dragging your finger on you phone display in the direction you want it to face. Maybe try manually making it face truly forward and see if it retains that position.

As for my original issue of the gimbal not staying level, I had my MP2 replaced by the vendor. Wasn't worth dealing with issues with a 10 day old drone. DJI wanted me to send it in for repair. No thanks, don't want a brand new expensive drone repaired or exchanged for a refurb...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll