DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Not Working / Overload

cargun

Reactions
Hi,

I'm fairly new to Mavic & drones overall. I had a minor crash. The props were broken, apart from that everything seemed fine. I changed the props. I tried a flight, the Mavic flies just fine, my camera was recording, but a wobbbly/shaky image. I then realized my gimbal's back "anti drop hook" is also broken and the gimbal is not working at all. The flat cables seem fine [it was indeed torn], the gimbal is moving freely by hand, no physical damage seen other than the anti-drop hook, camera is working. No self test or the "gimbal dance" when turned on...

I also get an "aircraft motor overloaded. Check whether gimbal clamp is removed." alert.

What might be the problem and is there a rather easy fix?

Thanks,

Last edited:
I've dumbly crashed my Mavic indoors, from my balcony.

It flies, but I've got no image and the gimbal error like yours.

The black safety part has - don't know how- also broke as yours.

PLEASE HELP

Have the same issue. Minor crash indoors. No visible damage and no visible gimbal obstruction. Going to send to DJI. I have care refresh. We will see what happens. :/

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Well, unfortunately welcome to the club guys. :(
My camera is fully functional, yet the locak DJI service center (Istanbul, Turkey) told me that the gimbal and camera are replaced as a whole at around 400$ plus 1-2 hours service charge. I may get a new one, without the controller, to use the old as a donor.

UPDATE:
After my crash, my Mavic pro was flying just fine, the camera was working but there was heavy vibration and the gimbal was not dancing / moving at all at start-up or responding to the remote commands.
After being quoted a ridiculous amount (half the cost of the Mavic Pro) for a whole gimbal replacement I had three options:
  1. Order a new Mavic Pro from US at $999 through a visiting friend and eventually use the current one as spare parts supply. (You can consider tearing down and selling parts separately online as well, even buying extra ones to make money, you can make at least US$1500 from a US$999 investment, thanks to DJI's replacement parts & service pricing policy.)
  2. Wait for the flex PCB cable (P01788.10) to be available for sale as OEM.
  3. Wait for a gimbal replacement part to be available (buying a new Mavic might be smarter) at Cloud City drones: DJI Mavic Pro Gimbal & Camera, Original OEM Service Parts (US$279) or from RC Innovations DJI Mavic PRO - Gimbal & Cámara (€295) The gimbal & camera, is on sale at Ali Express as well, but fairly expensive at US$350, only to justify the DJI service centers' replacement parts price. DJI Mavic Pro Gimbal & Camera-in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
It's really nonsense of DJI to replace the gimbal & camera as a whole, when at least one of them is working fine and only a $40 flex cable is torn.

Fstop Labs had the flex cable listed for a time now, but it was out of stock, until this week. DJI Mavic Pro Gimbal Flexible Flat PCB Gimbal Ribbon Cable It's now in their stocks for $39.99. So for US Mavic Pro owners, go grab at least one now, even if you don't currently need it. Just keep it handy, as you'll probably need this most fragile Mavic part.

But last week I found it on Ali Express anyway and I ordered from there: (reverse image searching and code searching for spare parts always works wonders)
DJI Mavic Pro Gimbal Flexible Flat PCB GImbal Ribbon Cable-in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group It comes cheaper to Turkey than the Fstop Labs one (US$52.99 via USPS). As it's shipping (yes takes some time) included.

I had also broken the little L shaped bracket that holds the back of the gimbal in place which I found out that comes fixed to the gimbal vibration absorbing board:
DJI Mavic Pro drone accessories gimbal vibration absorbing board parts shock absorber damping frame bracket hanging plate panel-in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group So I ordered that part as well.

But I still was not sure whether the main issue was the torn flex cable. So today I torn down my Mavic's (top cover only), to inspect and remove my gimbal. This video was helpful:

My torn down Mavic:
IMG_6202.JPG IMG_6203.JPG IMG_6206.JPG IMG_6209.JPG

And yes, as you can see the flex cable was indeed torn. So, now I'm waiting for my mail to arrive, I'll replace both the vibration absorbing board and the flex cable when it comes. The total cost for me will be just US$64.36. And as soon as I'm done fixing, I'll order a spare set of both parts.

Have a nice & safe flight everyone.

Cem.-

UPDATE:
After my crash, my Mavic pro was flying just fine, the camera was working but there was heavy vibration and the gimbal was not dancing / moving at all at start-up or responding to the remote commands.
After being quoted a ridiculous amount (half the cost of the Mavic Pro) for a whole gimbal replacement I had three options:
  1. Order a new Mavic Pro from US at $999 through a visiting friend and eventually use the current one as spare parts supply. (You can consider tearing down and selling parts separately online as well, even buying extra ones to make money, you can make at least US$1500 from a US$999 investment, thanks to DJI's replacement parts & service pricing policy.)
  3. Wait for a gimbal replacement part to be available (buying a new Mavic might be smarter) at Cloud City drones: DJI Mavic Pro Gimbal & Camera, Original OEM Service Parts (US$279) or from RC Innovations DJI Mavic PRO - Gimbal & Cámara (€295) The gimbal & camera, is on sale at Ali Express as well, but fairly expensive at US$350, only to justify the DJI service centers' replacement parts price. DJI Mavic Pro Gimbal & Camera-in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
It's really nonsense of DJI to replace the gimbal & camera as a whole, when at least one of them is working fine and only a $40 flex cable is torn.

Fstop Labs had the flex cable listed for a time now, but it was out of stock, until this week. DJI Mavic Pro Gimbal Flexible Flat PCB Gimbal Ribbon Cable It's now in their stocks for $39.99. So for US Mavic Pro owners, go grab at least one now, even if you don't currently need it. Just keep it handy, as you'll probably need this most fragile Mavic part.

But last week I found it on Ali Express anyway and I ordered from there: (reverse image searching and code searching for spare parts always works wonders)
DJI Mavic Pro Gimbal Flexible Flat PCB GImbal Ribbon Cable-in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group It comes cheaper to Turkey than the Fstop Labs one (US$52.99 via USPS). As it's shipping (yes takes some time) included.

I had also broken the little L shaped bracket that holds the back of the gimbal in place which I found out that comes fixed to the gimbal vibration absorbing board:
DJI Mavic Pro drone accessories gimbal vibration absorbing board parts shock absorber damping frame bracket hanging plate panel-in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group So I ordered that part as well.

But I still was not sure whether the main issue was the torn flex cable. So today I torn down my Mavic's (top cover only), to inspect and remove my gimbal. This video was helpful:

My torn down Mavic:
View attachment 7795 View attachment 7796 View attachment 7797 View attachment 7798

And yes, as you can see the flex cable was indeed torn. So, now I'm waiting for my mail to arrive, I'll replace both the vibration absorbing board and the flex cable when it comes. The total cost for me will be just US$64.36. And as soon as I'm done fixing, I'll order a spare set of both parts.

Cem.-

UPDATE 2:
I already received my gimbal vibration absorbing board and replaced it already, I'm expecting the flex ribbon cable early in the week. I'll let you know when I fix it for good.
I discovered & ordered a much cheaper ($13.99) gimbal ribbon as well, to try just in case I need another one soon again.

UPDATE 2:
I already received my gimbal vibration absorbing board and replaced it already, I'm expecting the flex ribbon cable early in the week. I'll let you know when I fix it for good.
I discovered & ordered a much cheaper ($13.99) gimbal ribbon as well, to try just in case I need another one soon again.

UPDATE 3!!! UP & RUNNING!
Today, I received my flex ribbon and I replaced the torn one. It was a bit tricky to pass through the tiny holes of the gimbal, but it worked. I've seen my gimbal dancing again.
I fixed it! So with some patience and the required tools anybody can! I'll go fly now, right after I recharge my batteries. :)

UPDATE:

My torn down Mavic:
View attachment 7795 View attachment 7796 View attachment 7797 View attachment 7798

Cem.-

What is the name of this mount/clip? (see attached image below) I crashed my mavic pro and broke that clip/mount and keep getting this error Gimbal Not Working / Overload.

please advised.

thank you so much in advanced.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 109
  • 20170419_121654.jpg
    20170419_121654.jpg
    920.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Screenshot_20170419-111250.png
    Screenshot_20170419-111250.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 96
Hi,

It's called "gimbal back anti drop hook", it should be a separate part that is screwed underneath to the anti vibration board, but it also comes with the board.
You can find it 3D printed like this DJI Mavic Pro Gimbal Anti-drop Hook Bracket L-shape Tab 3D Printed Part | eBay
or together with the anti-vibration board.

Cem.-

What is the name of this mount/clip? (see attached image below) I crashed my mavic pro and broke that clip/mount and keep getting this error Gimbal Not Working / Overload.

please advised.

thank you so much in advanced.

Hi,

It's called "gimbal back anti drop hook", it should be a separate part that is screwed underneath to the anti vibration board, but it also comes with the board.
You can find it 3D printed like this DJI Mavic Pro Gimbal Anti-drop Hook Bracket L-shape Tab 3D Printed Part | eBay
or together with the anti-vibration board.

Cem.-

Thanks for the response Cem, Do you have an idea if I replace the "gimbal back anti drop hook" the error gimbal not working / overload will disappear?

Just bought it last month and I was thinking to open it up and try to use a crazy glue to connect the gimbal back anti drop hook and see if will work, or It's not a good idea that it might void the warranty?

any advice, thanks in advance.

Thanks for the response Cem, Do you have an idea if I replace the "gimbal back anti drop hook" the error gimbal not working / overload will disappear?

Just bought it last month and I was thinking to open it up and try to use a crazy glue to connect the gimbal back anti drop hook and see if will work, or It's not a good idea that it might void the warranty?

any advice, thanks in advance.

1. Can you control the gimbal? Is the gimbal dancing when you turn on? --> No flex ribbon damage.
2. Is the camera working? --> No metal camera cable damage.
3. In this case the only problem should be the anti-drop hook.

I first tried to fix my hook with a piece of credit card and some double sided Scotch VHB. But I realized my problem was that I also had a broken ribbon cable. Later, I ordered the anti-vibration board (together with the hook) with the flex ribbon anyway.

But I think you can first try to fix it with a piece of credit card and a strong double sided VHB Scotch tape (You don't have to open it up). If the overload continues you can order either the 3D hook or the anti-vibration board as a whole.

Best regards,

Cem.-

Reactions: Daptone
1. Can you control the gimbal? Is the gimbal dancing when you turn on? --> No flex ribbon damage.

I first tried to fix my hook with a piece of credit card and some double sided Scotch VHB. But I realized my problem was that I also had a broken ribbon cable. Later, I ordered the anti-vibration board (together with the hook) with the flex ribbon anyway.

But I think you can first try to fix it with a piece of credit card and a strong double sided VHB Scotch tape (You don't have to open it up). If the overload continues you can order either the 3D hook or the anti-vibration board as a whole.

Best regards,

Cem.-

Actually yours is a rather slanted break, mine was a more clean straight break. VHB may not have enough space to hold on to it. But just try, it's reversible. If you have the broken piece, definitely fix it with crazy glue. But you can work better if you open it up. (Not that difficult.) Otherwise just order the 3D hook, it's cheap, open it up, unscrew the broken hook and replace it. I'd say forget about the warranty. :)

1 .

Best regards,

Cem.-

1. When I turn on the gimbal is not moving at all, I carefully check the ribbon I can't see a sign of scratch or damage.
2. Camera is working properly I can take a Video and Photos.
3. I'll find a way put the piece of anti-drop hook. (see attached.)

I'll do you your advise first opening is not a good idea, I'll keep you posted.

tysm

-RJ

Attachments

• 20170419_201510.jpg
    20170419_201510.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
1 .

1. When I turn on the gimbal is not moving at all, I carefully check the ribbon I can't see a sign of scratch or damage.
2. Camera is working properly I can take a Video and Photos.
3. I'll find a way put the piece of anti-drop hook. (see attached.)

I'll do you your advise first opening is not a good idea, I'll keep you posted.

tysm

-RJ

wow it's hard to put it back using tweezers, I am about to open it and I noticed that on the other allen wrence screw it has a plastic covering the whole (see attached.) is that their sign once you remove that warranty will be void?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20170419_203002.jpg
    20170419_203002.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 69
wow it's hard to put it back using tweezers, I am about to open it and I noticed that on the other allen wrence screw it has a plastic covering the whole (see attached.) is that their sign once you remove that warranty will be void?

Thanks
I didn't have that plastic covering. I don't really care about the warranty. As they charge $400 to repair a $1000 gadget.

By the way, if your gimbal is not moving at all, your flex ribbon cable is definitely torn somewhere inside. It may not be visible from outside, mine didn't either. You'll see when you disassamble the gimbal.
So you have to buy the ribbon first. I'd suggest you buy both the ribbon cable and the anti-vibration board. I had the AliExpress links up in the thread.

Good luck,

I didn't have that plastic covering. I don't really care about the warranty. As they charge $400 to repair a $1000 gadget.

By the way, if your gimbal is not moving at all, your flex ribbon cable is definitely torn somewhere inside. It may not be visible from outside, mine didn't either. You'll see when you disassamble the gimbal.
So you have to buy the ribbon first. I'd suggest you buy both the ribbon cable and the anti-vibration board. I had the AliExpress links up in the thread.

Good luck,

Jeez wow $400, Yeah I didn't put the plastic too to cover it while flying.

what I did is I made a paper in between and tried it again... no avail, I can record a video and take a photo, still get this error gimbal motor overload.

I am opening it now. and see what's happening inside, I'll keep it posted.

I really appreciate your help.

Best Regards,

RJ

Attachments

• 20170419_221450.jpg
    20170419_221450.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52

Good luck,

Found the flex ribbon cable totally torn off, placing the order now.

20170420_165609.jpg 20170420_170209.jpg 20170420_170111.jpg 20170420_165855.jpg

Reactions: Mr Spock
Found the flex ribbon cable totally torn off, placing the order now.

View attachment 11135 View attachment 11136 View attachment 11137 View attachment 11138

Hello, were you able to fix it? Mine is having the same problem (gimbal not moving), i took it to a local repair shop and they said i have 2 torn flex cables. But they didnt have spare flex cables to fix so i just paid them for checking it out and im thinking about either sending it in or fixing it myself. Aside from the PCB flex cable that usually gets damaged, what other flex cable are they referring to? Should i open it up myself and post pictures for you to help me?

Please advise.

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Mavic & drones overall. I had a minor crash. The props were broken, apart from that everything seemed fine. I changed the props. I tried a flight, the Mavic flies just fine, my camera was recording, but a wobbbly/shaky image. I then realized my gimbal's back "anti drop hook" is also broken and the gimbal is not working at all. The flat cables seem fine [it was indeed torn], the gimbal is moving freely by hand, no physical damage seen other than the anti-drop hook, camera is working. No self test or the "gimbal dance" when turned on...

I also get an "aircraft motor overloaded. Check whether gimbal clamp is removed." alert.

What might be the problem and is there a rather easy fix?

Thanks,

Your ribbon cable is stuffed!! Get DJI to repair. Gimbal only has a six month warranty coz they know it's faulty!!

Hello guys!
After a couple of last flights I noticed some bounce in my video, as I was flying over the island and I did not pull out the sd card (64 gb) until I come Home, just watched the video cashe on my phone! I thought it was caused by various communication problems, seen before, the content of the card was usually clear. After I got home, I download content from the sd card, and saw the same thing, video is bouncing and twitches. Usually fly an autonomous flight using the Litchi app (which is great for waypoint, my favorite). After that I went to test the gimbal and camera on both apps Litchi and DJI go 4 app. I recently updated the software to the latest version on DJI go 4 app (09.09.2017). but the problem also appeared on the previous version also, so I beleve that is not the case. I noticed the same problem at both apps. I say, well obviously there is a hardwere problem. I would like to point out, my quad did not experience any drops, no crush at all, now i have 32 hours of flight time without a single incident so far! I always carefully put it in the bag (the original combo bag) always put gimbal clamp and gimbal cower! Of course, every time I go on flight I've take away the protection from gimbal, although there have been cases where I forgot, so I am familiar with that problem. to my misfortune, this time this is not the case. Further confuses me that the gimbal works perfectly on an autonomous flight ( Litchi Waypoint) and immediately after the program ends, the gimbal begins to shake and cant ewen control it. I'm not even able to control it by using the scroll wheel on rc, it remains stuck on top position.
Does anyone have an idea what could cause the problem!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smxrfyy