DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal overload error

rscheff

Reactions
I have the Mini and have had it for about a year. I recently (yesterday) received an error msg. saying the there is a gimbal overload, check to see that gimbal can move freely. The gimbal could be moved, via the controller, in all directions. I landed the drone in my hand and I could feel a slight vibration and hear a faint humming. I touched the gimbal and the vibration and humming stopped and the msg. was gone. As soon as I put the drone back up the msg. came back. I have repeated this procedure 5 or 6 times and the results are always the same. Without taking the drone apart I checked the compartment for dirt or any foreign objects, nothing, I also checked the movement of the gimbal just by touching it while it was off and everything moves freely. Anyone have some ideas?

@rscheff it could possibly be some dirt or dust has got into one or more of the gimbal motors causing them to jam slightly ,a servo motor will vibrate if there is any restriction to movement under load ,try a can of air or a air puffer to blow any dirt or dust out of the gimbal ,but what ever you do dont use WD 40 or other similar product as this will just increase the chances of debris from become stuck in the motors and could damage the windings

I will try that although I did just blow into the cavity but probably not enough force. It has been real dry where I live so I guess there is a good chance when landing it could stir up some dust.

Reactions: old man mavic
Well that did not work. I tried 6 times still same msg. "Gimbal motor overload". Also another error msg. that I just caught a glimpse of. Right on take off said reached maximum power... and I did not see the rest.

I have DJI Care and I am 2 weeks inside of a year but I have heard some horror stories about people not getting a replacement for 3 months or more and they find reasons not to honor the replacement. I have crashed several times and had to fix the drone so I have had to take it apart. I often joke with my kid that my drone has more epoxy than plastic. I have a feeling that this will void the contract.

I have the Mini and have had it for about a year. I recently (yesterday) received an error msg. saying the there is a gimbal overload, check to see that gimbal can move freely. The gimbal could be moved, via the controller, in all directions. I landed the drone in my hand and I could feel a slight vibration and hear a faint humming. I touched the gimbal and the vibration and humming stopped and the msg. was gone. As soon as I put the drone back up the msg. came back. I have repeated this procedure 5 or 6 times and the results are always the same. Without taking the drone apart I checked the compartment for dirt or any foreign objects, nothing, I also checked the movement of the gimbal just by touching it while it was off and everything moves freely. Anyone have some ideas?
Did you ever get this solved?
I'm having the exact same problems - noise/vibration that stops when I lightly touch the gimbal, and random "Gimbal Motor Overload" warnings when flying.

Did you ever get this solved?
I'm having the exact same problems - noise/vibration that stops when I lightly touch the gimbal, and random "Gimbal Motor Overload" warnings when flying.
I had the DJI insurance and I returned the drone and they sent me a new one. Never solved the problem.

I had this error on two flights the other day. Powered off the mini2 but the problem persisted. Next day did a gimbal calibration and was able to fly ok, even in sport mode. It's only a little more than a month old and is running the latest firmware. I'm hoping that is the end of the problem.

Good luck, but from I understand the problem it is small particles getting into the unit. Unless you have got them out you will continue having the problem.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121