DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal overload

kitzy

Reactions
I'm suddenly getting a gimbal overload warning. I've crashed it in the past but I've flown plenty of times since then. I've lost the ability for the camera to roll. It won't calibrate. It appears to try but it just twitches and eventually fails. I was able to manually roll it in the gimbal adjustment in both directions. After messing with it for a while in the house, it appeared to be working properly and calibrated. I put it away and attempted to fly this morning and it had the same problem. I never thought much about it before, but for sometime now it's had an intermittent, mostly annoying issue where after rolling, it wouldn't return back to center. Sometimes I would have to jerk it back in the other direction and then it would work fine again. I just figured it was glitchy technology. Now I'm thinking it possibly was the beginning of a bigger problem. I'm leaning towards the gimbal ribbon cable needing replacement. I'm not sure where to get one either. Any help is hugely appreciated.

I'm suddenly getting a gimbal overload warning. I've crashed it in the past but I've flown plenty of times since then. I've lost the ability for the camera to roll. It won't calibrate. It appears to try but it just twitches and eventually fails. I was able to manually roll it in the gimbal adjustment in both directions. After messing with it for a while in the house, it appeared to be working properly and calibrated. I put it away and attempted to fly this morning and it had the same problem. I never thought much about it before, but for sometime now it's had an intermittent, mostly annoying issue where after rolling, it wouldn't return back to center. Sometimes I would have to jerk it back in the other direction and then it would work fine again. I just figured it was glitchy technology. Now I'm thinking it possibly was the beginning of a bigger problem. I'm leaning towards the gimbal ribbon cable needing replacement. I'm not sure where to get one either. Any help is hugely appreciated.
I am having similar problems with my Mavic Pro after crash. Sent in for repair estimate and replacement of camera and gimbal was recommended at a cost of over $300. Hope Forum has suggestions for this problem.

I am having similar problems with my Mavic Pro after crash. Sent in for repair estimate and replacement of camera and gimbal was recommended at a cost of over $300. Hope Forum has suggestions for this problem.
I'm an impatient person, so about 20 minutes after posting this, I went and ordered a ribbon cable from Amazon. It should come today and I will hopefully open it up and replace it today or tomorrow.

I'm an impatient person, so about 20 minutes after posting this, I went and ordered a ribbon cable from Amazon. It should come today and I will hopefully open it up and replace it today or tomorrow.
I understand. My Mavic Pro is supposed to be returned today and I will be taking it apart to see what's going on with it. Good luck with yours.

Actually $300 for a new camera and gimbal installed doesn't sound too bad. Just sayin...

Sounds like the camera arm might be at fault its that or the ribbon you can get lots off spares off ebay
Give me a should if I can help

I replaced the gimbal ribbon cable. Started back up and now I don't have any image and the camera doesn't move at all. The gimbal settings, where you would find the calibrate gimbal option, are also missing entirely from the menu. I could see damaging the video cable but what are the chances I damaged the ribbon cable as well? Or maybe got a bad one and damaged the video cable.

New video cable and yet another new gimbal ribbon cable showed up today. Assuming I damaged both in the installation last time, I made sure to be much more careful this time around. Opening the camera up was a real pain but ended up not being too bad when I used a razor blade to get in the small seem and pry it open.

End result, I got my video feed back and the gimbal is recognized in the settings and moving. It appears to be functioning properly when. I move the drone around. However, auto calibration isn't working. It does nothing but sit at 5%. No movement whatsoever and eventually times out with a failure message.

It sounds like the same problem I had I replaced the ribbon and had same effect
I eventually found out it was one off the camara mount arms that was ever so slightly bent, I found a spare on ebay and replaced and haven't had any problems since everything works ok

I tried calibrating again and same problem. Stuck at 5% and seemingly never even tried to start the process. No movement whatsoever. However, moving the drone around with my hand the gimbal seemed to work properly. So I flew it anyway. Burned through a battery. Landed with about 35% left and figured I'd try again. It finally calibrated.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143