DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Problems /overload errors...SOLVED

Enigma

Reactions
I swapped out my gimbal Cable(photos), now everything is perfect.
So why has my cable failed, the old cable photos show no obvious trauma.
No crash or heavy landings, but is damaged somehow.
The new cable appears more robust, and i did the folding very lightly. Also my installation seems more in alignment. So I'm guessingDSC_0057.JPG DJI quality control is s#&t.
Strangely the camera would still work with a bad cable, it slams around visciously, knocking everything, got the overload error, and calibration wouldn't work. Start up I would have to invert or 90 degrees fix,
BUT NOT ANYMORE, thank goodness

Attachments

• DSC_0055.JPG
    DSC_0055.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 116
  • DSC_0054.JPG
    DSC_0054.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 115
Also i have just found out that bending/folding ribbon cables to the extent of making a "crease" is not a good idea, in particular if there is constant movement/vibration over a lengthy time.
I think i had to do 4 folds/bends in the cable to install correctly, that is astonishingly bad engineering.
I now understand why some have no issues. Its all dependant on who folds your ribbon cable.

I swapped out my gimbal Cable(photos), now everything is perfect.
So why has my cable failed, the old cable photos show no obvious trauma.
No crash or heavy landings, but is damaged somehow.
The new cable appears more robust, and i did the folding very lightly. Also my installation seems more in alignment. So I'm guessingView attachment 16719 DJI quality control is s#&t.
Strangely the camera would still work with a bad cable, it slams around visciously, knocking everything, got the overload error, and calibration wouldn't work. Start up I would have to invert or 90 degrees fix,
BUT NOT ANYMORE, thank goodness

Any problems or advice installing the new ribbon?

Having the same issues you did (camera is fine but gimbal flips up and down, with overload and obstruction errors, cannot calibrate...) Ordered replacement ribbon with hopes it will fix the issue. Also ordered a transmission line cable in case the ribbon isn't the problem. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: HSK

Having the same issues you did (camera is fine but gimbal flips up and down, with overload and obstruction errors, cannot calibrate...) Ordered replacement ribbon with hopes it will fix the issue. Also ordered a transmission line cable in case the ribbon isn't the problem. Fingers crossed!
There are a few videos on YouTube with the procedure. Take a look and go through the process,l.

Be sure you have the correct tools, it's easy to create more damage in the process, be patient.
When folding, try not to crease too hard.
Only the ribbon cable controls the gimbal, the other cable is for the video feed.

Thanks for the support! I went ahead and replaced both the gimbal ribbon (what tedious feat that was!) and because I had already purchased a replacement, I installed a new transmission line cable. I was in there so thought it was worth the extra $30!

All problems fixed! Gimbal control is back, video feed is normal, and I am thrilled it all worked out. Excellent advice on having the correct tools...Thanks all!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair