DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Protector Modification for Mavic Air 2

photogaff

Reactions
This brief demonstration video shows how the DJI Mavic Air 2 Gimbal Protector cover applies excessive forces to the rear of the camera gimbal when being placed on the drone. When you are out in various situations whilst using the drone, you may encounter unintended forces being applied to the gimbal and camera if the camera is not in a perfectly aligned position for the gimbal cover. This minor modification to the gimbal cover allows you to continue protecting the camera gimbal, yet giving a bit more freedom for the camera to travel into it's correct position.

The camera is stable and does not move much when this modification has been applied. For best results with the modification, the camera is fully rigid when the drone is stored in the flymore combo bag, camera facing downward in the bag.

This modification should improve the lifespan of the gimbal without excessive forces previously applied by the gimbal protector.

Thanks for watching!

NOTE: All contents shown are merely suggestive and I can take no liability or responsibility for damage or losses as a result of applying the modifications or attempting to follow the modifications shown in the video. The modifications are shown as a means of reducing potential longer term damage to the gimbal and to help you prolong the lifespan of your drone.

Thanks. Will consider doing it since is not the first gimbal protector modification I have done.

Reactions: photogaff
Thanks. Will consider doing it since is not the first gimbal protector modification I have done.

Great stuff, I'm curious to see how you find it. Hopefully it helps you out!

I'm finding it much easier to place the cover back on the drone, especially when I'm out on the ground. Previously I felt like I was about to break the gimbal, no matter how careful I was.

Awesome! In one if my comments in another thread I brought this issue up. This design is trying to constrain the camera in every direction, which is a good thing given the range if DOF (Degree of Freedom) in every direction. Unfortunately, in this design, the clip creates a spring force to constrain the camera, rather than acting as a physical barrier when the camera moves (little to no initial contact).

I was definitely considering something something of this sort. Now I know what to do exactly.

Thank you.

Awesome! In one if my comments in another thread I brought this issue up. This design is trying to constrain the camera in every direction, which is a good thing given the range if DOF (Degree of Freedom) in every direction. Unfortunately, in this design, the clip creates a spring force to constrain the camera, rather than acting as a physical barrier when the camera moves (little to no initial contact).

I was definitely considering something something of this sort. Now I know what to do exactly.

Thank you.

You're welcome! Let me know how you get on, curious to see the results

Would it be safe to say it's premature to assume it's going to cause gimbal problems?

If you put it on correctly I'd have to go out on a limb and say DJI made it precise for a reason. If it moves around after the mod, one could argue that will cause premature issues.

I just think of all the back roads and bumps mine will encounter over the course of the summer going up in the mountains and I'd want that thing locked and tight.

Will anyone make a gimbal cover that can. E flown with it on the drone?

Would it be safe to say it's premature to assume it's going to cause gimbal problems?

If you put it on correctly I'd have to go out on a limb and say DJI made it precise for a reason. If it moves around after the mod, one could argue that will cause premature issues.

I just think of all the back roads and bumps mine will encounter over the course of the summer going up in the mountains and I'd want that thing locked and tight.

It's fair to say that there's a tiny amount of movement, as opposed to zero zero movement.. However, if the drone is stored camera downward, it's absolutely rigid and doesn't move no matter how I shake it. I live in a very remote location and bumpy crappy roads are standard. It was something that crossed my mind but I'm quite satisfied with the result.

It gives me the flexibility to place the gimbal cover on without fear of inflicting accidental damage and with relative ease. I'm quite careful with my gear, I never damage, or modify my gear, but the tolerances of the gimbal clip were excessively tight for my liking.

The gimbal cover of the original Mavic Air was far more engineered and fit for purpose.. This was definitely a rushed afterthought and has a very flimsy cheap plastic construction, far below the standards I'd expect from DJI.

Last edited:

I probably wasn't detail enough in my explanation since I was just typing it off my phone (my apologies). So, to be clear, I agree with you 100%> This gimbal setup has way too much of angular freedom and I wouldn't want it jumping around during a transit. There are ways to do that:
1. applying a force on all sides to keep it in equilibrium
2. having physical constrains on all sides to prevent the camera from moving when disturbed

I would absolutely prefer the second option because the first option has the potential to do damage on the components of the camera even if there is a small installation error. If you already own the MA2, you would notice during installation, that, the camera (really the bellow springs that comprise the gimbal) experiences multiple jerks before the gimbal cover gets snapped on. Each jerk would result in the camera and gimbal components springing back to hit a physical stop, which overtime, imo, will definitely prove to be harmful to the setup. Personally, I don't want to do what is being suggested in the video, but I think it creates lesser damage on the cam setup while snapping the cover back on. I would really prefer if DJI recognizes this and releases an upgraded cover in the near future.

It's fair to say that there's a tiny amount of movement, as opposed to zero zero movement.. However, if the drone is stored camera downward, it's absolutely rigid and doesn't move no matter how I shake it. I live in a very remote location and bumpy crappy roads are standard. It was something that crossed my mind but I'm quite satisfied with the result.

It gives me the flexibility to place the gimbal cover on without fear of inflicting accidental damage and with relative ease. I'm quite careful with my gear, I never damage, or modify my gear, but the tolerances of the gimbal clip were excessively tight for my liking.

The gimbal cover of the original Mavic Air was far more engineered and fit for purpose.. This was definitely a rushed afterthought and has a very flimsy cheap plastic construction, far below the standards I'd expect from DJI.
Exactly my thoughts on this matter :)

Reactions: photogaff
I would prefer to buy a more suitability engineered gimbal cover than use the provided one in it's original state.. In the meantime, what I might do is actually use some of the foam that came in the original packaging (as there's plenty of it) and cut it down to a finely supportive piece which would slot in behind the gimbal, for long term storage or longer transits.

The mod works well enough for me for day to day use anyway, which is the important thing. It's more about making do with what I have to extend the lifespan.

I will bring it up with DJI in their forums, I haven't gotten around to this yet, but I suppose it's too late for any existing stock for the foreseeable future.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu