DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal repair. Are you sure you want to try it yourself?

Former Member

Reactions
A couple of years ago, my deck looked a little worn, so I decided to try and save $700, and instead of calling a pro, I decided to take it on myself. I watched a Youtube video, and the guy had his done in less than 2 hours.

I went out and bought the stain, but the lady at Home Depot told me I need to sand it first. Oh, ok, so I bought a sander. No problem.

Fast forward 2 months, and I was still sanding the deck. Next came the stain, and that took another month.

So, my wife always reminds me of my Youtube debacle any time I want to fix something myself.

Youtube is great, but a man's got to know his limitations.

LOL! This is so true.

Home Remodeling and House Flip shows are as bad if not worse. They cram an entire house demo and rebuild into 1/2 an hour and make it look like anyone with a hammer can do it. Then post the cost of the home , dollars invested , and the profit . DING! Right there at the end superimposed over the video of a beautifully remodeled home that buyers are stepping over thier children to buy.

LOL! This is so true.

Home Remodeling and House Flip shows are as bad if not worse. They cram an entire house demo and rebuild into 1/2 an hour and make it look like anyone with a hammer can do it. Then post the cost of the home , dollars invested , and the profit . DING! Right there at the end superimposed over the video of a beautifully remodeled home that buyers are stepping over thier children to buy.

Yeah I agree. As much as I like to watch those shows, I hate them too because they make it look so easy. Yeah, sure, you can buy, renovate and flip a house in 90 days, if you have 100 contractors and unlimited money, and dont mind losing money on the house.

Reactions: mnis and BD0G
Professionally qualified electronic engineer. Why would I take the time, and buy the tools, to do something that other people have spent their time and money working out how to do in a properly organised commercial manner?

Unless it’s something that interests me, that’s different ;)

My ten cents :)

#1 Never despair ...
Almost everything that was created by human hands can be destroyed or repaired by human hands ...

But it depends on the hands, eyes and the mind!

You should ask yourself:
#2 Do I dare to do this work?
#3 Are there good sources with information and assistance?
#4 Can I open and close the broken device without damaging or destroying it?
#5 Do I know the nature of the defect?
#6 Can I pinpoint the defect exactly?
#7 Can I get an available original spare part as a private user without complications?
#8 How much can I actually save (time / money) if I repair something myself?
#9 Do I have all the necessary tools, and do I have enough routine in dealing with them?

#10 Finally ...
Do I know the potential risks in dealing with electricity and electronic components?

Many technical devices of our time are modular. In a nutshell, it's similar to LEGO, but the modules can be extremely tiny. You do not even need to know what a resistor or transistor is to replace components. Many components do not even need to be screwed down, one click and it is stuck. Soldering experience and basic knowledge of electronics are an advantage, but less and less often required.

In the service area there are often many spare parts for a single device, this fact makes repairs easier and faster.

But the most important thing is that usually technically trained and experienced people are in the repair service ...

#1 Never despair ...
Almost everything that was created by human hands can be destroyed or repaired by human hands ...

You should ask yourself:
#7 Can I get an available original spare part as a private user without complications?
#9 Do I have all the necessary tools, and do I have enough routine in dealing with them?

#10 Finally ...
Do I know the potential risks in dealing with electricity and electronic components?

Many technical devices of our time are modular. In a nutshell, it's similar to LEGO, but the modules can be extremely tiny. You do not even need to know what a resistor or transistor is to replace components. Many components do not even need to be screwed down, one click and it is stuck. Soldering experience and basic knowledge of electronics are an advantage, but less and less often required.

In the service area there are often many spare parts for a single device, this fact makes repairs easier and faster.

But the most important thing is that usually technically trained and experienced people are in the repair service ...

Well said. Overconfidence can be a nuisance.

Hmmm, a Lego Mavic...

Reactions: Thomas B and mnis

#1 Never despair ...

You should ask yourself:

#10 Finally ...

By the way, I always try to estimate the amount of my blood that will be spilled before the project is complete. If a project cuts, burns, or freezes me, I think twice about finishing it, and might hand it over to a pro..

Reactions: mnis
By the way, I always try to estimate the amount of my blood that will be spilled before the project is complete. If a project cuts, burns, or freezes me, I think twice about finishing it, and might hand it over to a pro..
Ha, you never know which genius has hidden a clip on a case part ... As so often the first time is the most exciting time. I'm more afraid to fall into such a trap than to eventually replace a gimbal :)

The path to the broken component is often the biggest problem. Creepy thoughts are constantly circulating...

For me alone: YES, I dare to replace a gimbal. But with so few words it's boring for me, because I like to learn your language by the way :)

Rob, I do not know your prices for repairs yet. But I'm almost sure, you could bring blood loss and pain into your calculations and your work would still be attractively priced :)

Reactions: Former Member
Good point. How much does a litre of blood go for in Germany? lol
If you donate blood to us in Germany and donate 0.5L to a well-chosen organization, then you get 20 Euro plus free drinks (non-alcoholic ... as much as you can drink) :)

For blood plasma you get twice that [emoji857]

If you donate blood to us in Germany and donate 0.5L to a well-chosen organization, then you get 20 Euro plus free drinks (non-alcoholic ... as much as you can drink) :)

For blood plasma you get twice that [emoji857]

What a great deal. Not sure they would want my old tired blood. Whoever got my blood would probably start to complain alot, and stay up all night like I do.

What a great deal. Not sure they would want my old tired blood. Whoever got my blood would probably start to complain alot, and stay up all night like I do.
1L at a time I would donate only if there are enough blood substitutes in my fridge :)

I'm petrified every time i have to even touch the gimbal cover, so i might give total replacement a miss lol..
..the dreadful irony is that the cover is so sprackly im probably going to need a replacement sooner rather than later..

Depending on what your lifelong career has been, taking things apart can give you an exciting feeling [emoji6]. The things we manufacture and build never ceases to amaze me, and understanding how it all comes together by disassembling sometimes is the only way to appreciate it. I think we need more people that still get this feeling of having tools in their hands.

I'm petrified every time i have to even touch the gimbal cover, so i might give total replacement a miss lol..
..the dreadful irony is that the cover is so sprackly im probably going to need a replacement sooner rather than later..

The cover is the easiest part to replace! Fear not. If you need help, just ping me here.

Reactions: mnis and Dronage
My first gimbal repair was a Phantom 4 Pro . The intimidation of it is what attracted me . At my age the old rope swing excitement is out of the question . Disassembling my first flying Swiss watch , knowing that I was responsible for it's successful return to the skys gave me that thrill .

The gimbal not holding center after parts replacement threw me a bit of a curve ball .
15 minutes of research , 20 minutes of disassembly and reassembly , and problem solved .
The thrill of success was intoxicating .

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots