DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal reset in flight

Saw this same behavior in another video recently. Seems it may become an issue to be concerned about.

Had this happen to me yesterday, freaked out, thought I threw a prop, until I saw the picture come back, and saw the gimbal doing its calibration. I think it happened shortly after I hit the record video button.

Winds were calm, and I was flying with barely any speed at the time, so the camera/gimbal was not jarred in any way. Never had a crash.

Hopefully this stays a rare occurrence, after the reset the flight was normal, didn't notice any other anomalies.

Had this happen to me yesterday, freaked out, thought I threw a prop, until I saw the picture come back, and saw the gimbal doing its calibration. I think it happened shortly after I hit the record video button.

Winds were calm, and I was flying with barely any speed at the time, so the camera/gimbal was not jarred in any way. Never had a crash.

Hopefully this stays a rare occurrence, after the reset the flight was normal, didn't notice any other anomalies.

On the one above winds were a bit on the crisp side but nothing crazy. I may have similar on another flight.

I experienced this glitch too. Will post video captured. I thought it was a bird attack!

Reactions: Member
I just experienced this as my first glitch ever in over 200+ miles, 100+ flights issue free. This was like 5 flights after the last & only firmware update ive done.

I too thought it was falling to the ground until the camera reset itself.

Now my camera slowly drifts to the left when over 50ft or so. Almost every time. And it seems my mavic flies with a slight leftward drift when i push forward on the stick. I did gimbal and compass calibrations and now it says my status is that i need to connect to pc or mac to calibrate my vision system.
I tried to download dji assistant on my mac but no luck. Having so many issuesi gave up before i broke my mac in fit of rage. Im a pc guy so i suck at macs and must be overlooking sumn obvious.

Anyway i need research this camera drifting slightly to left cuz i kno i read it in previous thread sumwhere

Hope i dont have to send it back

Oh ya fyi i got a compass redundancy error around the same time so that was actually the very first occurrence that caused me to calibrate the compass . Maybe a day later this gimbal error occurrd

Last edited:
I experienced this glitch too. Will post video captured. I thought it was a bird attack!

Me too! Video URL: ownCloud (password is brone).

I was just about to create a new thread but I think this is the same issue that I had a few hours ago. It freaked me out to say the least. I thought the aircraft was falling out of the sky when the gimbal reset. Not just the gimbal, but the camera too. Because when picture came back after this 'tilt', the camera was in the process of re-focusing and I had to tap 'record' again to continue the recording.

There was a second reset also, about a minute before finally taking it down (see video - password: brone).

Another interesting thing is that when I reviewed the flight video, there was no tilt, no re-focus, nothing, the video recording stopped before the reset. But luckily I have the 720p cached stream and though the aircraft didn't save the video to the SD card, it was still streaming during the tilt, it was in the tablet's cache and I don't have to wonder whether I was just imagining it. ;)

I think (based on the corner of my eyes) the remote was showing re-connecting to the aircraft all the time. It's like a soft reboot kept happening up there.

Additional info: I didn't get any high wind warnings. Many suspicious connection failures though.

Additional info #2: after the reset, and about a minute before landing, I lost control. I was watching the feed and the aircraft wasn't going anywhere for a while. I hit RTH and then cancelled it. This one may not be connected and could just be a signal issue. Next time I will be smarter hopefully, looking at the distance/altitude on the controller while moving the sticks.

Ps. I just bought a new Mavic not so long ago and did a firmware update. I have flown dozens of times with the previous Mavic and never have I experienced such a scare. I don't know whether I should send it back to fix or just wait for the next firmware upgrade (and then never upgrade lol). It's no fun flying worried all the time, so until I know for sure what caused it or that it has been fixed, I'm not gonna fly it :(

Last edited:
Here are the events as extracted from my flight logs by Airdata/HealthyDrones.
Mind you this camera/gimbal reset was more than 8 minutes in the flight.
What's more concerning is that there are no log entries between the 7 minute and 12 minute markers.
No recording to SD, signal lost after the reset, stopping camera, but still nothing to log? :confused:

Also, is that 'Mode changed to WiFi Reconnect' line normal?

warnings.jpg

The camera reset 3 times during the flight apparently. I know the only times I hit record was when it wasn't recording. The first one is expected obviously, but the rest? I don't think video recording should stop in case of RTH, a lost signal or anything like that.

camreset.jpg

Last edited:
Guys... How will you handle this? Do you send it back to fix? I'm leaning towards doing that but I don't want to discover that it was the wrong decision a day later (like it's pointless to do or could have been fixed some other way).

I tried the online customer support for the first time. Whoever was on chat was either high off his mind or deliberately not working. They said 'hi' twice, once after I explained the problem, and then they asked if I had shipped it to DJI (my question was whether I should send it to fix or if they knew of a solution to the problem).

Reactions: KiterTodd
I am going to send mine back. Ive had family stuff lately so i put my mavic on the backburner . But today i will call dji and have them fix it cuz it is doing a few new bugs since this issue occurred.

My camera is like permanently off to the left so its strange to fly forward cuz it feels like im looking at an 11 o clock angle instead of headup at 12oclock

Also the cam view still drifts slowly to the sides and also the craft moves leftward by itself when autobraking etc

Ive done the latest most recent update and calibrated sensors but it made no change to my situation

Its definately the firmware i downloaded cuz i had lots n lots perfect flights before this dangit

Ill report back soon

Mine is currently in Germany waiting for damage assessment. Meanwhile I bought another Mavic. Can't be without it. Of course the wind had to pick up and I haven't really been able to use it much since :)

I am so Happy!

I procrastinated and it paid off lol. I downloaded the update the just came out today and it totally fixed every single issue I was having and it is back to new again... or Better! Because now i have fixed wing mode which rolled out in this said update. Go Dji! They are so on the ball over there its stupid. Woohoo

Woohoo!!!!

I hadnt flown it but a few times since the gimbal issue on 3/21 so now Im back to going through all 6 charged batts each time out. I did about 2.5hrs of flying too make sure its really 'fixed'

Still all good. I can tell that it tries to start up with camera at angle still but then the new auto calibration on startup feature comes into effect and straightens it out before i take off. Works perfect. Ordering another controller today cant wait checkout dual mode

I am having the same problem. Tried calibration via DJI Go and Assistant, faster SD cards and have kept up to date with firmware. Still getting multiple resets per flight. When it resets, I can't control for a few seconds and the whole thing does a little jig. Often, when the reset completes, the horizon is tilted. This is really annoying. At least the Mavic stays in the sky.

Yesterday I did a little testing. It reset 4 times during a fairly long flight (16 min). Had to restart video each time. Then I took it for a 12 minute flight and just snapped some pics. No problems. Finally, I powered on indoors on a desk and recorded a video. I "flew" the drone by hand (may or may not have involved airplane noises) to give the gimbal something to do. 7+ minutes and no problem.

I've sent off an email to support and I'm mentally (and emotionally) preparing to send it in, but maybe someone has a quick fix.

I've had this problem occur on almost every one of my flights. It is a bit disturbing. Thought it was a bird strike the first time. Hope to find out the cause/fix.

Yeah. It was really annoying. I did an online chat with support and they suggested refreshing firmware (only thru Assistant since updating in Go App was somehow different) to latest, calibrate IMU and then gimbal. It did not work of course. So I sent it back.

Next day, support finally responded to an earlier email with the exact same suggestions with one additional step - reset camera. Maybe? @nicodamus maybe you could try the camera reset. Too late for me but if it works we can save others a big repair hassle.

Also, my unit was build Mar 7 according to SN decoder. When was yours built?

I'm having similar issues. Seems to occur most often when the file size hits the limit, or when I start recording. However, it has happened when neither of those are true. I've reproduced it indoors with the drone sitting on a table. So wind etc are not a factor for me. I've tried various cards. I had a 128GB card because I didn't read yet that 64GB was DJI's recommended upper limit. Using 64GB cards *seems* to have caused it to happen less frequently, but it's already infrequent enough that it's' more likely that nothing has changed.

My build date is Feb 10.

I am having the same problem. Tried calibration via DJI Go and Assistant, faster SD cards and have kept up to date with firmware. Still getting multiple resets per flight. When it resets, I can't control for a few seconds and the whole thing does a little jig. Often, when the reset completes, the horizon is tilted. This is really annoying. At least the Mavic stays in the sky.

Yesterday I did a little testing. It reset 4 times during a fairly long flight (16 min). Had to restart video each time. Then I took it for a 12 minute flight and just snapped some pics. No problems. Finally, I powered on indoors on a desk and recorded a video. I "flew" the drone by hand (may or may not have involved airplane noises) to give the gimbal something to do. 7+ minutes and no problem.

I've sent off an email to support and I'm mentally (and emotionally) preparing to send it in, but maybe someone has a quick fix.

Thats an interesting island-looking bit of land in your video....What/where is that??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo