DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Screaming

Zonahawk

Reactions
Crashed in to muddy water, I thought all was well. Now my gimbal make a LOUD screeching noise on start up and will not complete calibration. It moves freely and doesn't seem to have debris in it. What could be causing the screech?? It sounds BAD!

Also doesn't seem to be focusing as well as before, otherwise functioning normally

Here a crummy video... is there a certain angle I can tape from to eliminate the sonar sound?

Here a crummy video... is there a certain angle I can tape from to eliminate the sonar sound?

Turn off the downward sensors and try shooting another video of the gimbal.

Even though the gimbal seems to move freely, there is probably some dirt/debris in the joints.

Last edited:
That sounds nasty. @Thunderdrones

Thanks for the mention CP.

Turn off the downward sensors and try shooting another video of the gimbal.

Yeah, another video would help without the clicking of the sensors.

In my experience, if any one of the motors is screeching, the motor assembly (at the least) will need to be replaced. Any error messages in DJI Go?

No error messages, unless I try to auto calibrate. Then it fails at 41% when camera is doing the side to side rotation. If a motor is bad, can it be replaced and how much do they generally cost? I've had this thing apart so I think I'll attempt a fix if it's possible.

I am not aware of anyone who has successfully replaced individual gimbal motors. You will have to replace the roll/pitch/yaw assembly. You should be able to salvage the camera, cables and covers.

Reactions: Former Member
Did you stop filming before it finished or does it now not complete initialization?

It has over time stopped during calibration sooner and sooner to the point where it now stops at this point and will not continue unless I manually move the gimbal myself. Short answer is no it will not complete initialization. I just removed the gimbal and am finding what appears to be dried dirty water (from my sweet underwater drone video in the mud puddle no doubt, I guess it didn't exactly survive). I've replaced the ribbon cable and the camera wire successfully before, but someone had mentioned never hearing of a motor replacement so I'm not sure what my options are? Is there someone out there that has the parts or is willing to fix? I wonder if giving it a thorough cleaning would remedy the motor? WAHHHHH my drone is once again shelved!

ANSWER = You need to replace just your mavic ribbon cable for the gimbal. This will fix it. It does this when you overload the gimbal motors and create a short in the wire. You may have left the gimbal clamp on a few times and don't want to admit it or crashed a few times putting stress on the wire or your are just really unlucky.
Here are the BEST videos on the web on how to do the work yourself.
Removing the gimbal video is this link.
Removing the gimbal ribbon cable video is this link.

I had the same issue and I fixed it.

Last edited:
If material has dried inside the motor, that could cause the issue. Likewise, a cable binding up could cause this. Verify that you have removed as much gunk as possible, and that your cable arrangement matches what is shown in the video. If it still fails, you have nothing to lose by soaking the motor assembly in pure water, blowing out with canned air, and drying over low heat (no more than 120 degrees F or so. After that, it's time for a new cable and/or gimbal.

ANSWER = You need to replace just your mavic ribbon cable for the gimbal. This will fix it. It does this when you overload the gimbal motors and create a short in the wire. You may have left the gimbal clamp on a few times and don't want to admit it or crashed a few times putting stress on the wire or your are just really unlucky.
Here are the BEST videos on the web on how to do the work yourself.
Removing the gimbal video is this link.
Removing the gimbal ribbon cable video is this link.

I had the same issue and I fixed it.
I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to disagree with you. A squealing motor or hot motor does not necessarily mean a bad ribbon cable in fact most times it means a bad gimbal motor assembly. A bad ribbon cable can be part of the problem but I have replaced his ribbon cable and it did not cure the problem I had to replace the whole gimbal motor assembly Because it had been under water.

Reactions: newguy
I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to disagree with you. A squealing motor or hot motor does not necessarily mean a bad ribbon cable in fact most times it means a bad gimbal motor assembly. A bad ribbon cable can be part of the problem but I have replaced his ribbon cable and it did not cure the problem I had to replace the whole gimbal motor assembly Because it had been under water.
You are right too. Sometimes it's the motors, but try the cable first.
I want to also say to everyone, be REAL CAREFUL installing ribbon cable because .... haha... I ruined a cable when installing it by pressing down on the places where it has stickers to help hold it in place and folding it too tight at the fold lines.
I know I had messed it up because the screech did not go away and the motors got really HOT. SO... I replaced the ribbon AGAIN and it was finally Fixed. Don't fold the ribbon cable too tight. you should only fold enough to get it to fit without getting in the way of the gimbals movement. Baby it! Use a feather to install it! joking about the feather but the cable is sooo thin that any kind of pressure on it WILL creat another short in the wire. Maybe it's worth it to you to try again. The cables are really cheap. Also if the motors are really ruined, I think you can replace the gimbal part (just the motors,) for 50 bucks.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll