DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal signal lost

Kexman

Reactions
Yesterday I performed my maiden flight with my new Mavic Pro.
Using my iPhone 7 as monitor everything went well the about 10 first minutes. Suddenly the gimbal signal was lost. All information related to the gimbal feed went down.
I had to land my Mavic and restart it by pressing the Mavic battery power button off and on again.
After this procedure, the signal from the gimbal was caught again an I had it's information plus a picture visible in my monitor again.

First I thought the error could be due to inconsistent firmware, so the first thing I did when arriving home, was to make sure the firmware was up to date.

After this I have been performing some ground tests (without flying) by starting my Mavic and my RC and making them to connect. The gimbal starts sending pictures to the monitor but after a few minutes the signal is lost again. The picture in the monitor disappears, features related to the gimbal cease to work. I can still manouver the Mavic motors via the RC though, so this funtion is not affected.

Has any of you pilots experienced this loss of gimbal signal ?

I am assuming when you say gimbal signal, you mean the video feed to your iphone7 ?
Try a different smart phone or tablet and/or use a different mini/usb connection cable.
I always use the USB on the controller to micro usb on my android sony experia, it is faultless.

Are you recording video when the signal is lost? If so, does recording to the microSD also stop?

Sounds like the "normal" flimsy cable connecting from RC to your phone.
If it is not plugged in correctly you will either lose all video or it will be intermittent.
It's a very dodgy connection.
I quickly did away with the lead and use the larger USB connection.
Make sure if you do that, you completely disconnect BOTH ends of the side cable.

I have experienced this many times when using a 64G card instead of my original 16G cars....

I had similar problems using the side USB connection. Since u moved to the bottom USB I have had no disconnects.

I am assuming when you say gimbal signal, you mean the video feed to your iphone7 ?
Try a different smart phone or tablet and/or use a different mini/usb connection cable.
I always use the USB on the controller to micro usb on my android sony experia, it is faultless.

Sorry for being a little unclear ... Yes, what I meant was the video feed is lost. I don't own any other connection cable than the one provided in the Mavic package, but I discovered the bigger USB connection and I will purchase a cable for that one immediately.

Last edited:
Are you recording video when the signal is lost? If so, does recording to the microSD also stop?

I'm both recording and not recording, when the video feed is lost, but most of the times I've actually been recording. The recording to the Micro SD card doesn't seem to stop, so it appears only to be the connection between the RC and the iPhone that is the problem.

Sounds like the "normal" flimsy cable connecting from RC to your phone.
If it is not plugged in correctly you will either lose all video or it will be intermittent.
It's a very dodgy connection.
I quickly did away with the lead and use the larger USB connection.
Make sure if you do that, you completely disconnect BOTH ends of the side cable.

Yes, it appears to be a bad connection between the iPhone 7 and the RC that is causing this problem.
I guess I have to make sure that the lightning end of the connection cable is firmly connected to the iPhone.

I performed some minor experiments during the today's flight and when the video feed was lost I flew home, and while the Mavic still was airborne, I disconnected the mini USB from the RC, and then when connecting it again, the video feed was up again.

I'll go for the solution with the larger USB. I will purchase a cable for that one.

Last edited:
I have experienced this many times when using a 64G card instead of my original 16G cars....

I experienced this problem at my very first, maiden, fight, using the 16GB card.
Today I bought a 64GB card, and flew for some time before this connection problem occured.
As I mentioned in an earlier reply above, my next step is to make sure the lightning/micro USB cable is firmly connected to the iPhone, but I guess the larger USB is the solution to this problem. I'll test that one as soon as possible.

Last edited:
I had similar problems using the side USB connection. Since u moved to the bottom USB I have had no disconnects.

You mean the big USB connection?
Yes, I'll have to try that one.
Thanks.

Last edited:
you can connect using a different method, more reliable in my experience.
As i mentioned, use the USB port underneath of the controller(NOT the LIGHTNING connection).

Got it.
But the large USB is instead of the micro USB, so I need a cable with a large USB in one end and a lightning connection (for iPhone) in the other end - right? :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+