DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal stuck/overload help! Mavic Air 2

hellshalligan

Reactions
Hey guys,
Having some issues with the gimbal for a unknown reason. It did not crash or have a heavy landing. I did put a DJI filter on for a hyper lapse sunset which it was working fine. The next day, I fire her up and the gimbal is stuck. I did have some sandy take offs, in which I read it could be sand stuck somewhere. I have tried compressed air to clean and remove everything, to which the camera now twitches on start up and goes to gimbal overload. Any suggestions on how to rectify this issue??
Thank in advanced!

Hey guys,
Having some issues with the gimbal for a unknown reason. It did not crash or have a heavy landing. I did put a DJI filter on for a hyper lapse sunset which it was working fine. The next day, I fire her up and the gimbal is stuck. I did have some sandy take offs, in which I read it could be sand stuck somewhere. I have tried compressed air to clean and remove everything, to which the camera now twitches on start up and goes to gimbal overload. Any suggestions on how to rectify this issue??
Thank in advanced!
Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.

what exactly is stuck? Pictures may help.

The gimbal is trying to work but keeps getting stuck. You can hear it screaming trying to work. But it just won’t commit to fully operation

It will twitch left to right a few times, then become stuck. It it acting like something would be stuck but I have no clue how to remove it.

Did you by chance install the filter with the drone turned on? I did that with my variable and it really screwed up the video. It was pointed off to the side and it also shook for a period of time. Plus, the props were slightly in sight in sport mode. The gimbal behaved normally the next flight with the variable removed and a DJI filter installed. I'm not sure what to think about the variable.

I did install the filter with the camera on. I have since removed it. But no change in action yet. Still all the same. I’ve tried cleaning it over and over again. It also started right after is installed new firmware. So hoping DJI can have an update again soon to see if that helps.

I did install the filter with the camera on. I have since removed it. But no change in action yet. Still all the same. I’ve tried cleaning it over and over again. It also started right after is installed new firmware. So hoping DJI can have an update again soon to see if that helps.

I'm afraid you may have damaged your gimbal when you installed the filter with the drone turned on. The problem isn't the filter itself, it's when you installed the filter. You were unavoidably applying mechanical force onto the camera, which is automatically trying to point in a given direction because the drone is powered on and that's what it does by default. (That's how it provides image stability as the drone flies about). Thus you probably overloaded the gimbal motors... I fear that's not something that can be rectified by software updates.

Reactions: Thomas B
I've flown my Air 2 three times since the filter incident and It's been perfect..I had only nudged the filter setting a zip....zero force I thought..in fact I didn't realize that I had not turned off the battery until I went to turn it on and it was already on. I'm thinking that it only had to re-calibrate it's self before the next flight. I think I dodged a bullet.
Did you calibrate the gimbal with the Fly app? there is an auto and a manual setting. You probably did but I didn't notice in your post.

The only thing I can think to try is... reset gimbal direction by pressing the function button twice.
I’m hoping not but who knows how to tell. It will say gimbal stuck. But with a little help it will move, but then go to gimbal motor overloaded. The camera will twitch left to right like its trying to work but then settles at a slightly off angle and goes back to stuck. If it’s in overload, I can get a full calibration but it doesn’t help any.

I've flown my Air 2 three times since the filter incident and It's been perfect..I had only nudged the filter setting a zip....zero force I thought..in fact I didn't realize that I had not turned off the battery until I went to turn it on and it was already on. I'm thinking that it only had to re-calibrate it's self before the next flight. I think I dodged a bullet.
Did you calibrate the gimbal with the Fly app? there is an auto and a manual setting. You probably did but I didn't notice in your post.
I have been able to calibrate yes, but only if the gimbal is in “overload”. It won’t calibrate if it’s stuck. It’s very strange. Starting to think shipping it back to DJI is my only option :/

Reactions: hiflyer201
Starting to think shipping it back to DJI is my only option :/
Yeah I agree...it's a little painful having to wait, but the process goes pretty smoothly once they say they're sending the shipping label. You'll have a perfect drone in the end..

So after further inspection I’ve found what I think may be the problem. It doesn’t look right to me. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 22D8FF39-4795-4B34-B2BF-63E5885F3992.jpeg
    22D8FF39-4795-4B34-B2BF-63E5885F3992.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 43
  • 7EF7D9CC-36CC-48D2-962D-A6A55451C047.jpeg
    7EF7D9CC-36CC-48D2-962D-A6A55451C047.jpeg
    954.8 KB · Views: 44
Did you manage to fix the issue? I have the same problem but not yet began to physically investigate it.
So after further inspection I’ve found what I think may be the problem. It doesn’t look right to me. Thoughts?

Hey Stevo_b, I ended up sending the unit to DJI. Seeing as it was only 3 months old with no damage and such, DJI covered the repair under warranty. They told me it was the “Gimbal axis arm module”. I’m not sure exactly what that means but it would had been a $35 piece.

Hey guys I’m having the same problem with my recently acquired air2 s.
I did have a smash crash but the gimbal worked and calibrated fine multiple start ups afterwards.
This is what it does…
Are we able to post videos on this forum?
thanks guys
Pic below are msgs I’m constantly getting when starting the drone and DJI app up

Attachments

• 426C26A9-6B93-4B0F-9C3A-A136FBB90C84.png
    426C26A9-6B93-4B0F-9C3A-A136FBB90C84.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Hey guys I’m having the same problem with my recently acquired air2 s.
I did have a smash crash but the gimbal worked and calibrated fine multiple start ups afterwards.
This is what it does…
Are we able to post videos on this forum?
thanks guys
Pic below are msgs I’m constantly getting when starting the drone and DJI app up
So I ended up contacting DJI when I had the same problem. I did not have the care package at the time. But the issue was covered and they fixed it in a timely manner and I didn’t have to pay a penny. I never found out why it did it. My assumption was that I powered the drone on accident with the gimbal cover was on. I would try to reach out to DJI.

Reactions: skitzn

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11