DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

gimble goes out of adjustment during rotation

aneal321

Reactions
Hello all: My Mavic 2 Pro I have noticed if I hover and rotate left or right, the gimble gradually shows horizon tilted. I can readjust it during flight but it reoccurs if I continue rotating. I haven't noticed any other issues while flying or filming. No tilt up and down issues, does not seem noticeable if I am flying other maneuvers. Anyone else ever see this issue or have a solution. I did have a slight accident a couple of months ago while battery was getting low and it started to return home, got stuck in some leaves of a willow tree which snared the props, it fell about 20 feet to the grass seemed undamaged except for a slight space between the camera and frame on one side of the gimble. Gimble moves freely and seems to respond to movements needed otherwise. Thanks.

Reactions: Droniac
By any chance is the gimbal switched to FPV mode and you are turning the drone more side on to the wind? I would guess not but its a simple thing to check.
Have you performed a gimbal calibration?
Can you post a photo showing the 'gap'?

By any chance is the gimbal switched to FPV mode and you are turning the drone more side on to the wind? I would guess not but its a simple thing to check.
Have you performed a gimbal calibration?
Can you post a photo showing the 'gap'?
not in fpv mode the gap is not quite as wide as in the attached photo, I pushed it in a bit but it won't go further. I have not performed a gimble calibration in a while and I don't think I have done one since the crash. Thanks for your response.

Attachments

• gimble.jpg
    gimble.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 22
On seeing that photo my immediate thought was "oh 'sugar' ".
When you say you "pushed it in a bit" did you happen to notice whether the exposed portion of the innards sank into the arm or the camera?

On seeing that photo my immediate thought was "oh 'sugar' ".
When you say you "pushed it in a bit" did you happen to notice whether the exposed portion of the innards sank into the arm or the camera?
it seems to move into the arm. I was hoping it would "snap" back into place, but it doesn't. It returns to a position similar to the photo, not quite as pronounce. That photo was taken very soon after the crash I soon as I noticed the gap.

To some extent you might be in luck, that pivot is dismantleable. Attached are a set of photos that I took a while ago.
Unfortuntely the camera cable runs through the center of the pivot bearing so that pivot bearing can not be removed with out opening the camera shell, disconnecting the cable and removing the camera gubbins from the camera shell but you might be able to move the pivot bearing enough to see whether there is any damage.
BE CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE THE CABLE.
If a set of screws have been pulled out of, or through something, then the something should, ideally, be replaced. The best such damage would be if such screws pulled through the outer cover, as that cover can be removed without any additional dismantling.
I suppose you could alway simply glue screws back in place but that's not an ideal solution.
If screws have seemingly simply come undone then I'd be inclined to examine their threads and if possible the threads in their respective holes.

If you do dismantle the pivot post your observations before you start to rebuild the pivot, someone may offer solutions etc.

Attachments

• Under the cover.jpg
    Under the cover.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 6
  • inner cover removed.jpg
    inner cover removed.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 6
  • spacer screws.jpg
    spacer screws.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 5
  • inner cover - spigot view 1.jpg
    inner cover - spigot view 1.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 5
  • inner cover - spigot view 2.jpg
    inner cover - spigot view 2.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 5
  • inner cover and spacer together.jpg
    inner cover and spacer together.jpg
    627.6 KB · Views: 5
  • spacer screws and outer cover screw holes.jpg
    spacer screws and outer cover screw holes.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 5
  • spacer.jpg
    spacer.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 6
To some extent you might be in luck, that pivot is dismantleable. Attached are a set of photos that I took a while ago.
Unfortuntely the camera cable runs through the center of the pivot bearing so that pivot bearing can not be removed with out opening the camera shell, disconnecting the cable and removing the camera gubbins from the camera shell but you might be able to move the pivot bearing enough to see whether there is any damage.
BE CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE THE CABLE.
If a set of screws have been pulled out of, or through something, then the something should, ideally, be replaced. The best such damage would be if such screws pulled through the outer cover, as that cover can be removed without any additional dismantling.
I suppose you could alway simply glue screws back in place but that's not an ideal solution.
If screws have seemingly simply come undone then I'd be inclined to examine their threads and if possible the threads in their respective holes.

If you do dismantle the pivot post your observations before you start to rebuild the pivot, someone may offer solutions etc.
Thank you for taking the time to provide this excellent response and phots. I remember watching a video some time ago about repairing or replacing camera mount on gimble. It seemed fairly involved and I wasn't sure I wanted to delve that deeply because it is working and only needs occasional adjustment. I think I will start with calibration and work my way down the chain of possibilities. If I find damage to any of the interior parts, (if I go that far) where is the best place to find them? How does the outer cover of the arm come off? I don't have mine with me at the moment but I remember looking at it and thinking it seemed like there was a trick to getting the cover off to inspect or remove the screws. Thanks again for your time and detail.

It seemed fairly involved
dismantling the entire gimbal is, without doubt, a ROYAL PAIN in the derrier. All the more so because it is fiddly and the work space within the gimbal is very cramped and one is trying to not damage possibly fragile connectors and the cable.

But that pivot could, in 5 minutes, be dismantled enough to allow you to likely see the problem and it could, possibly, be done with the gimbal assembly in situ in the drone. However I think I would remove the gimbal from the drone, 6 screws and one cable disconnection and out it comes. If the scalpel (see below) snapped I wouldn't want a shard flying into the drone and it does give you more room to work.

Assuming you have the light, eyesight and screwdrivers ( I use a head mounted magnifier and light) the most difficult bit is likely getting the outermost disc/cover off. It prises off (I likely used a scalpel to lift one part of the edge and then worked the scalpel around the remainder of the circumference of the disc, I found 15 to 20 seconds of heat from a hairdrier (enough to make the disc warm/border-line hot to the touch) softened the glue /double-sided-tape? that holds it.

If you had to replace the actual bearing then things get more complicated but it would not need the entire gimbal stripping. Just the actual camera removing from its shell and the camera cable feeding through the centre of the pivot bearing.

Push any screws removed into a piece of foam or cardboard etc. as you remove them ( or store them) in such a way that you know where they came from.
I have these two youtubes in my browser history

Last edited by a moderator:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98