DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Trouble

SKYGUY_88

Reactions
I'll try to keep this short, I was flying this evening when I noticed there was a slight tilt to my picture, I adjusted the gimbal roll, then recalibrated the gimbal. The mavic never finished the calibration, only froze with camera pointed at the ground.

It shows gimbal motor overload, gimbal blocked, check gimbal clamp errors. (Not at the same time)

I've tried resetting to factory from assistant, then downgrading to .800 which is where it and RC are currently at.

This machine has had a hard landing in the past and received an OEM shock board and FSlabs flat ribbon cable. Since then it has had 32 successful flights and was flying good until I messed with it.

Any suggestions would be great,

Last edited:
The ribbon cable needs replacing again. The folds in the cable limit it's life span. I've experimented with reinforcing the folds with silicon glue, so far no problems.

Reactions: SKYGUY_88
Thank you Enigma

Ribbon replaced 7/15/17, that's all the life they have?

I thought I was getting a good one, it seemed equal in quality to stock but I did put some pretty hard creases in it.

I have a video of its dance.
Disclaimer:
I left the sound in tact on the video because the movements cause a tiny squeal sound.
But the pinging of the ultrasonic gets loud.

My other MP doesn't make the squeal noise.

Yes, that looks very familiar.
Try Starting it up upside down sometimes remedies the problem, but it's not a proper fix.
When folding the cable, I try to avoid making a crease, more a curve, so the cable elements don't break over time. Then use the silicone glue to limit the movement of the bends.
Gimbal Problems /overload errors...SOLVED

Last edited:
Replacing the ribbon cable is not always the cure. The squealing might be coming from one of your gimbal motors which might have gotten damaged in the crash that you had even though it's been working fine since you replaced the last ribbon cable. After replacing this ribbon cable let us know if you still get the squeal. If so, it might be 1 of your gimbal motors gone bad.

Replacing the ribbon cable is not always the cure. The squealing might be coming from one of your gimbal motors which might have gotten damaged in the crash that you had even though it's been working fine since you replaced the last ribbon cable. After replacing this ribbon cable let us know if you still get the squeal. If so, it might be 1 of your gimbal motors gone bad.

I was curious about this, Is that something I can replace individually as needed (like if it is just the motor that tilts up and down) or does that require the whole assembly (all three) minus the camera?

I was curious about this, Is that something I can replace individually as needed (like if it is just the motor that tilts up and down) or does that require the whole assembly (all three) minus the camera?

If it comes down to just a damaged motor assembly, it can be changed out by itself. It's just alot of work because you have to disconnect every ribbon connector and both video connectors, then reseat them. Getting the camera barrel off of the motor assembly sometimes takes 2 sets of pliers, because sometimes the putty inside the camera barrel is as thick as glue and gets into the screw holes of the camera.

gimbal.jpg

It's good to know that the assembly can be repaired. I'm sure a cost comparison between repairing an assembly vs a whole new assembly will be the main deciding factor.

If it comes down to just a damaged motor assembly, it can be changed out by itself. It's just alot of work because you have to disconnect every ribbon connector and both video connectors, then reseat them. Getting the camera barrel off of the motor assembly sometimes takes 2 sets of pliers, because sometimes the putty inside the camera barrel is as thick as glue and gets into the screw holes of the camera.

View attachment 20137

So new ribbon didn't fix anything looks like I should try motor assembly next?

Is that the next most cost effective way to get her back in the air?

Replaced motor assembly today recalibrated everything and updated everything, took it out for a fly, everything performs nicely EXCEPT when I release the travel forward it veers off to the left as it slows to a stop, and when I release travel backwards it veers right.

Is this related to the gimbal or is this some other issue?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shandilya