DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Give me a like if you feel my pain.

Mazdaman323lx

Reactions
So , youve checked the weather days in advance , booked a day off work , have your flying location researched . You've charged your batteries and controller the night before ,formatted your sd cards , made your lunch for the road trip ahead. Got up that day ,weathers perfect , put the drone bag safely in the car . Got in the car , driven 2 hours to the destination , Got out of the car , got the drone case out , unfolded the drone put your hand in you *** pocket to get your phone only to realise you left it on the kitchen counter back home. Could there be anything worse ?

So , youve checked the weather days in advance , booked a day off work , have your flying location researched . You've charged your batteries and controller the night before ,formatted your sd cards , made your lunch for the road trip ahead. Got up that day ,weathers perfect , put the drone bag safely in the car . Got in the car , driven 2 hours to the destination , Got out of the car , got the drone case out , unfolded the drone put your hand in you *** pocket to get your phone only to realise you left it on the kitchen counter back home. Could there be anything worse ?
Everything you said except the phone. At the site, I walked 1/2 mile, climbed down 170 steps to a waterfall and found I forgot my USB cable for my iPad. And it was winter! And I’m old!

Not to that degree..... yet, lol. I fly pretty close to home and have had to turn around a number of times to get something I forgot. The other thing I do is forget to turn something on. Set up an audio recorder on a tripod, turned it and the shotgun microphone on and got levels. Got the drone set up. Went back to the microphone and started the recording. Launched the drone and positioned it. The scene played out. Got home and started downloading files. OoooPs, never tapped record on the drone.

May I suggest using a check list before you fly?

The other day, after doing everything you did, I arrived at my shooting site and discovered I forgot my iPad. I use the iPad screen because it gives me a larger image for flying. Luckily, I was able to switch to my Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max and it worked out fine. I have a check list like an airline pilot, but I forget to check the check list!

In my early droning days, I have forgotten my phone and in more recent times have forgotten my iPad and used my phone like Dale D. At least once when I forgot my phone and didn't have the iPad, I flew without a screen device using only my remote controller watching the drone lights for status. All went well and was able to use some of the footage/pictures.

Reactions: Mazdaman323lx
The other day, after doing everything you did, I arrived at my shooting site and discovered I forgot my iPad. I use the iPad screen because it gives me a larger image for flying. Luckily, I was able to switch to my Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max and it worked out fine. I have a check list like an airline pilot, but I forget to check the check list!
Maybe it's my age, but I often get to a highly anticipated and hard-to-get-to site and discover the following; no cable release for a long exposure shot, no iPad, no cable for my iPad, spare props (infrequent),and other things that I forget right now!

I have done all of the following:

1) got to the location and realized I forgot my tablet. I was able to use my phone, so no big deal.

2) got to the location and realized that I forgot XD cards. Luckily, I wasn't far from home and was able to go get them.

3) got to location and realized I forgot everything. This was a boating trip and I had lots of things to take care of. I was saving the drone for last, but then forgot all about it and didn't pack it. It was too far away, so I didn't fly that day. This one really upset me because I was in a location I may never get back to and was with friends that I hadn't seen in 40 years. Oh well, live and learn.

I have done all of the following:

1) got to the location and realized I forgot my tablet. I was able to use my phone, so no big deal.

2) got to the location and realized that I forgot XD cards. Luckily, I wasn't far from home and was able to go get them.

3) got to location and realized I forgot everything. This was a boating trip and I had lots of things to take care of. I was saving the drone for last, but then forgot all about it and didn't pack it. It was too far away, so I didn't fly that day. This one really upset me because I was in a location I may never get back to and was with friends that I hadn't seen in 40 years. Oh well, live and learn.
I actually have a CHECK LIST but I forgot to check my check list.

I've done the very same thing more than once by deciding to put a little more charge on the phone then forgetting it.....bummer...you can fly the drone without the phone in the controller and I've done that just to see if it works. I just waited until I was pretty sure it had the home point..then just a up and down and around......I haven't tried to film anything.

Everything you said except the phone. At the site, I walked 1/2 mile, climbed down 170 steps to a waterfall and found I forgot my USB cable for my iPad. And it was winter! And I’m old!

Skimming through the replies I can relate to this scenario the most. To avoid it happening again I got myself a couple of cables, practically one for each to-go case for my drones. Now its simply making sure its stored correctly so next time I can grab-n-go.

Yea man, you could have forgotten something simpler like a cable or even a tablet mount. I felt it necessary for convenience to double up on everything so that each drone has its own dedicated equipment

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan

That’s on you. No sympathy here. Lol

It was y our wife's fault. She was talking and nagging you and making you crazy- couldn't wait to leave the house.

Flying a drone without a phone is fun.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
It was y our wife's fault. She was talking and nagging you and making you crazy- couldn't wait to leave the house.
Do ya know what your almost spot on , god love her she was only to happy to be rid of me , As I walked to the car , phone in hand , she called me back and insisted i get some of the granola bars she bought for me for the trip from the top shelf in the cupboard . I put the phone down to reach up (she's not as tall) and grabbed them and went on my merry way leaving said phone on the counter. Wouldnt mind but I hate Granola bars.

Reactions: Romulus Archibald
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie