DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Give me feedback on cinematic footage of small sailing school on the river

Very nice footage! My thoughts:

- It seemed to lack a central focus/subject. I assume that the subject is supposed to be the small sailing school, but I wasn't sure what to watch, the boats or the landscape. Framing could have been better.
- This is probably definitely me just being nitpicky, but some moves could have been smoother. The pan right at :15 ends a touch suddenly (though this may have been the gimbal - in my experience it moves a bit harshly, but I haven't fiddled with any settings on it either). The 1:10 transition to a strafe felt unnatural, as did the transition from the strafe to the push forward at 1:17. The pan left at 1:32 ended a bit harshly.
- This somewhat has to do with the above point, but the shots at :43-:49 and :54-1:02 both start from a standstill, then make their moves, and the first comes back to a standstill. They're a bit jarring as the viewer is used to these sweeping, dynamic shots, and then is shown these definite, static shots. Easy fix with some editing though - fix it in post!

I really liked the moving shot over the ducks at :51, I wanted to see more of that angle. I think it could have really benefited from continuing that shot and following the boat on the left. The last shot/outro while you push back while following the boats was very cool. Your pacing in editing is very good, it feels very natural with the music and you hit all the "beats" of it. All in all it's very nice, and my points are nitpicky stuff that I'm primarily noticing because it's all stuff that I'm improving myself on, so I tend to watch for it more.

Reactions: E90RAW
Very nice footage! My thoughts:

- It seemed to lack a central focus/subject. I assume that the subject is supposed to be the small sailing school, but I wasn't sure what to watch, the boats or the landscape. Framing could have been better.
- This is probably definitely me just being nitpicky, but some moves could have been smoother. The pan right at :15 ends a touch suddenly (though this may have been the gimbal - in my experience it moves a bit harshly, but I haven't fiddled with any settings on it either). The 1:10 transition to a strafe felt unnatural, as did the transition from the strafe to the push forward at 1:17. The pan left at 1:32 ended a bit harshly.
- This somewhat has to do with the above point, but the shots at :43-:49 and :54-1:02 both start from a standstill, then make their moves, and the first comes back to a standstill. They're a bit jarring as the viewer is used to these sweeping, dynamic shots, and then is shown these definite, static shots. Easy fix with some editing though - fix it in post!

I really liked the moving shot over the ducks at :51, I wanted to see more of that angle. I think it could have really benefited from continuing that shot and following the boat on the left. The last shot/outro while you push back while following the boats was very cool. Your pacing in editing is very good, it feels very natural with the music and you hit all the "beats" of it. All in all it's very nice, and my points are nitpicky stuff that I'm primarily noticing because it's all stuff that I'm improving myself on, so I tend to watch for it more.
Thanks for the comment,
I will try to focus on a central subject in a futur footage.
I usually fly my drone and use the images I have to make a film.
I should plan in advance the plans I want to make my film, this would simplify my treatment during editing.

Thanks for sharing. I though it was pretty good. The question I ask myself is what am I trying to say with the video. You are ostensible telling a story with your video. What story do you want to tell. What do you want people to know that they didnt previously. Like any story it can be boring to people (Im not saying your is). Many times when I watch my own videos Im a little bored. So I cut, et cetera. You used many of the techniques that make videos interesting.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent