DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Giving footage to company for free

esm123

Reactions
Hi all,
I've taken some videos with my mavic of our company building (for fun at first), but the marketing group was interested in using the footage for internal uses as a promotional video. I will not be charging anything for it.. is that legal? I do not have a commercial license or 107 certification. I just fly the Mavic for fun.
Thanks!

It most likely would not be legal since the footage is being used for a commercial purpose. If you have any doubts, check with the FAA directly.

FAA has specifically addressed this and does indeed consider this a commercial activity regulated under Part 107.

Reactions: frankiez and RyanHT
FAA has specifically addressed this and does indeed consider this a commercial activity regulated under Part 107.
But the pilot isn't a commercial operator. No compensation is being provided for the footage. It would be the same as uploading the footage onto YouTube and them downloading it from there.

But the pilot isn't a commercial operator. No compensation is being provided for the footage. It would be the same as uploading the footage onto YouTube and them downloading it from there.
Uploading videos to YouTube is technically considered commercial use.
1) YouTube is using it to further enhance their business
2) There are advertisements on YouTube

The FAA can enforce these regulations at any time, and has already made an example of some YouTubers.

The FAA can enforce these regulations at any time, and has already made an example of some YouTubers.
I have a bunch of drone footage on YouTube. They're unlisted however.

When I was on the phone with the FAA when I was registering my drone, they said if I'm not selling the videos, it's not considered commercial. YouTube is fine however.

The FAA has made this crystal clear. Any imagery from a drone that "furthers the interest of a business" is considered commercial regardless of whether or not the person was paid.

If you didn't get paid it's not considered commercial.

I don't mean to be rude but this is absolutely, positively untrue. The FAA in numerous presentations, FAQs, etc has stated that being commercial has nothing to do with whether or not money changed hands. If it "furthers" a business in any way it is commercial. People may not like it, but it is how the FAA interprets it.

If you didn't get paid it's not considered commercial.

I attended a FAA session with 100 drone pilots, last Saturday in Arlington, Texas, and it was stated, any use of a drone, for free, even for a non-profit organization, is considered commercial use.

I attended a FAA session with 100 drone pilots, last Saturday in Arlington, Texas, and it was stated, any use of a drone, for free, even for a non-profit organization, is considered commercial use.

So me flying my drone around my pond and recording video is considered commercial according to your post.

So me flying my drone around my pond and recording video is considered commercial according to your post.
Yes, if the video is ever used for the betterment of any business. Marketing or whatever. No compensation doesn't negate the commercial classification as others have suggested here.

I'll only repeat what SteelFlyer has stated:
The FAA has made this crystal clear. Any imagery from a drone that "furthers the interest of a business" is considered commercial regardless of whether or not the person was paid.
If you fly around and video or take pictures of your. pond for your own use; it's a hobby and completely legal. Once you post it anywhere or give, even for no cost to business, whether non-profit or not, the FAA considers it commercial and you hold a Remote Pilots Certification and abide by Part 107

In Canada, use of drones by farmers is considered to be a commercial application because it provides a financial benefit to the operator/farmer. This is not hearsay. We were told this by Canada's foremost training facility, CCUVS.

In Canada, use of drones by farmers is considered to be a commercial application because it provides a financial benefit to the operator/farmer. This is not hearsay. We were told this by Canada's foremost training facility, CCUVS.
In the US, the FAA also considers use for farming and/or livestock commercial as well

Is it written anywhere?? Someone point me there please. I spoke with a few people at the FAA and said it would be fine but we all know an individuals interpretation is a problem. Looking for facts, and objective evidence of said fact as I don't feel like getting in trouble.

Is it written anywhere?? Someone point me there please. I spoke with a few people at the FAA and said it would be fine but we all know an individuals interpretation is a problem. Looking for facts, and objective evidence of said fact as I don't feel like getting in trouble.

I would not depend on every person within the FAA to know everything correctly or interpret it correctly... At the CES show I stopped by the FAA booth (right across from DJI and YUNEEC hahaha) and the guy I talked to was not very knowledgeable to say the least.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada