DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Glitching Video

B2loud

Reactions
Hi everyone, new to the forums and drones

So I'm currently having problems with a DJI mavic pro and getting something done about the problem I am having

I have uploaded a picture of what I am getting.

I purchased the drone and the first flight was awesome, on screen picture and recorded video was perfect.
the weekend after i took it out and the on screen picture and video had a few glitches in it just rnadomly, I thought maybe it was the wind or how far away it was from me.
Next time i took it out a couple weeks later the picture on screen and video is just a pixelated mess of frozen and unusable.

I have tried downgrading, upgrading and even old apk files of the goapp

I sent it back to where I bought it from, he took it out and found no issue. Item was returned to me and we decided it must be my phone

Went out and purchased a Samsung S5 as it was the cheapest on the supported list. Same thing happens and I have now tried it on 3 different phones all with the same result.

Tried to calibrate the drone and it froze half way through this and I had to disconnect it by usb, tried again and the same happened again.

It has now gone back to the distributor locally and their response was "the cap was not removed holding the gimbal" I mentioned it was removed on all flights as it sends warnings across the screen if you don't take it off and they have come back again to say that will be the issue and are returning it to me.

The local shop said they tried it in store and couldn't find a fault.

I am assuming the last 2 times it was not actually flown to make the problem happen maybe?

As a side note I have tested in 4 separate locations all with the exact same errors.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be the issue or what I can do or try? All i want is a drone that I can use.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• dji.JPG
    dji.JPG
    317.7 KB · Views: 32
The same thing happened to me. It worked OK one day and not the next. Turns out that Go 4 automatically updated to version 4.1.18. I installed 4.1.15 and it has been rock-solid since. Using Galaxy Tab A tablet with no other apps running and in airplane mode. I also turned off auto-updating so it won't happen again. I am not saying to roll-back all the way to .15 but you can try installing one version earlier than what you have now to try to fix it.

Before you bother changing Go 4, it would be interesting to find out what device and Go 4 version the shop connected to. Since it is a local shop perhaps you can show them what happens when you connect.

The same thing happened to me. It worked OK one day and not the next. Turns out that Go 4 automatically updated to version 4.1.18. I installed 4.1.15 and it has been rock-solid since. Using Galaxy Tab A tablet with no other apps running and in airplane mode. I also turned off auto-updating so it won't happen again. I am not saying to roll-back all the way to .15 but you can try installing one version earlier than what you have now to try to fix it.

Before you bother changing Go 4, it would be interesting to find out what device and Go 4 version the shop connected to. Since it is a local shop perhaps you can show them what happens when you connect.

Thanks Mossiback. I have actually tried that and still the same thing. I did as much googling as I could before hand and tried what I had read. Funny thing is it worked in wifi mode when i tried it a month or so ago also. Haven't tried wifi mode now though, but it made me think it might be the data between rc and drone, I have tried the bottom and side usb on the RC also.

Yeah if it's still happening when it comes back today or tomorrow I plan to go in and show them whats happening so hopefully we can work it out.

I have been thinking maybe its overheating as its been 28+ degrees celcius even into the 30s when I have been testing, the fan does work but the drone is getting really hot. After it failed calibration and froze when the fan kicked in it made me think this could be an idea. It has been cooler lately so we will see maybe. It might explain why they haven't had it this problem especially if they are trying it inside a building maybe with AC.

Just thought I would ask here in case someone can point out something I am doing? I'm usually great with technology and troubleshooting as its a big part of my job also haha.

Hi everyone, new to the forums and drones

So I'm currently having problems with a DJI mavic pro and getting something done about the problem I am having

I have uploaded a picture of what I am getting.

I purchased the drone and the first flight was awesome, on screen picture and recorded video was perfect.
the weekend after i took it out and the on screen picture and video had a few glitches in it just rnadomly, I thought maybe it was the wind or how far away it was from me.
Next time i took it out a couple weeks later the picture on screen and video is just a pixelated mess of frozen and unusable.

I have tried downgrading, upgrading and even old apk files of the goapp

I sent it back to where I bought it from, he took it out and found no issue. Item was returned to me and we decided it must be my phone

Went out and purchased a Samsung S5 as it was the cheapest on the supported list. Same thing happens and I have now tried it on 3 different phones all with the same result.

Tried to calibrate the drone and it froze half way through this and I had to disconnect it by usb, tried again and the same happened again.

It has now gone back to the distributor locally and their response was "the cap was not removed holding the gimbal" I mentioned it was removed on all flights as it sends warnings across the screen if you don't take it off and they have come back again to say that will be the issue and are returning it to me.

The local shop said they tried it in store and couldn't find a fault.

I am assuming the last 2 times it was not actually flown to make the problem happen maybe?

As a side note I have tested in 4 separate locations all with the exact same errors.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be the issue or what I can do or try? All i want is a drone that I can use.

Thanks everyone!

I had this same kind of problem on my drone phone, when I first started using it, it worked fine then something happened and it wouldn't work right on the phone, video was choppy, laggy, etc.. It turned out my phone had updated the OS and it was using more processing power and ram to run. I rooted the phone and installed slim rom and now it worked great again.. Samsung has a ton of bloatware on their phones and it is risky to root and remove it. Can you try a factory restore on your original phone and see if it starts to work again? Would you be ok rooting and installing a custom rom? If so look into slim rom or dots. I am sure you are thinking no way but it worked for me... On another note, is the seller an authorized DJI dealer? You could call DJI if they are.

What is the original phone you used before you got the samsung?

For DJI GO 4, I run the Nov 2 2017 release because it runs a lot better on older phones.

Did you try putting the cable in the lower port instead of the side port?

I had this same kind of problem on my drone phone, when I first started using it, it worked fine then something happened and it wouldn't work right on the phone, video was choppy, laggy, etc.. It turned out my phone had updated the OS and it was using more processing power and ram to run. I rooted the phone and installed slim rom and now it worked great again.. Samsung has a ton of bloatware on their phones and it is risky to root and remove it. Can you try a factory restore on your original phone and see if it starts to work again? Would you be ok rooting and installing a custom rom? If so look into slim rom or dots. I am sure you are thinking no way but it worked for me... On another note, is the seller an authorized DJI dealer? You could call DJI if they are.

What is the original phone you used before you got the samsung?

For DJI GO 4, I run the Nov 2 2017 release because it runs a lot better on older phones.

Did you try putting the cable in the lower port instead of the side port?

Hi Jaysrmc thanks for the advice,

Original phone was a Meizu M5 note which worked perfectly first flight then got progressively worse. I then tried my factory reset Meizu M3 note that only had the go app on it, then sent it away and they decided it must be the phone so I looked on their compatibility list and picked the S5 was it was the cheapest and I wasn't 100% convinced it was a phone issue so didn't want to go wasting money. this S5 is factory reset with only the go app installed and exact same issue as the other 2 phones.

I have tried both ports with exact same results

I did try running I think 4.1.15 version? It was an older version as i had read that can be the problem on the M5. I was going to try 4.1.10 on the S5 tonight.

The fact my first flight was perfect on my M5 and a week later it was choppy and a week after that it was unusable then i downgraded to the go app older than before i bought the drone and it didn't go away makes me think something else is going on also maybe?

I'm not interested in going out and spending $800 + on a new phone to make this work if it does turn out to be a phone issue when it is listed as working on an S5, plus it worked on my first flight on my phone which is what confuses me. Its not just on the screen either its all recorded video.

The difference between the M3 and M5 is only the outside of the phone from what i know but hardware is the same ( I broke the screen on the m3 so bought the m5 ) so trying the factory reset M3 should be the same. they run the same firmware and everything. 3gb of ram also.

Just to add they are an authorised dealer but phoning them isn't really an option the closest would be Australia and is a $1.50 or so a minute to call. I did start on their live support but to be honest I'd rather have it fixed locally now that I have put so much time into trying so many things.

Last edited:
Hi Jaysrmc thanks for the advice,

Original phone was a Meizu M5 note which worked perfectly first flight then got progressively worse. I then tried my factory reset Meizu M3 note that only had the go app on it, then sent it away and they decided it must be the phone so I looked on their compatibility list and picked the S5 was it was the cheapest and I wasn't 100% convinced it was a phone issue so didn't want to go wasting money. this S5 is factory reset with only the go app installed and exact same issue as the other 2 phones.

I have tried both ports with exact same results

I did try running I think 4.1.15 version? It was an older version as i had read that can be the problem on the M5. I was going to try 4.1.10 on the S5 tonight.

The fact my first flight was perfect on my M5 and a week later it was choppy and a week after that it was unusable then i downgraded to the go app older than before i bought the drone and it didn't go away makes me think something else is going on also maybe?

I'm not interested in going out and spending $800 + on a new phone to make this work if it does turn out to be a phone issue when it is listed as working on an S5, plus it worked on my first flight on my phone which is what confuses me. Its not just on the screen either its all recorded video.

The difference between the M3 and M5 is only the outside of the phone from what i know but hardware is the same ( I broke the screen on the m3 so bought the m5 ) so trying the factory reset M3 should be the same. they run the same firmware and everything. 3gb of ram also.

That is better than my drone phone...

ok, lets check with @Thunderdrones and see if he has come across this.

Try to go down a version from the 4.1.15. Also when you are piloting, put the device in airplane mode. See if that helps.

Place the mavic on the ground don't take off or anything, just see if you can get video. Calibrate Gimbal, in the settings there is a HD icon and I think you can change transmission settings there...

Want to eliminate DJI Go as the problem?
Download Litchi and see if you get the same issue make sure DJI go is not running. Litchi is 24$ but you can return for a full refund within a couple hours. I would do it within 1 hour on the play store. I find litchi is much less CPU intensive.

Do you know anyone with an IOS device you can try?

It could always be a problem with the Antenna on the controller or the MP. Stay within 5 feet of the MP with video on and walk away from it, does it get worse? At what distance does it degrade? Inspect the controller as well to make sure the Antenna feel secure. Any damage to the front feet of the MP? That is where the Antenna are on the quad.

Have you had a hard landing or anything that could cause any damage?

If all this fails to work, I would point back to the Mavic but I might be missing some steps so we will wait for @Thunderdrones and see if he has any suggestions.

That is better than my drone phone...

Try to go down a version from the 4.1.15. Also when you are piloting, put the device in airplane mode. See if that helps. I will try 4.1.10, Yes I have tried the phones in airplane and not, makes no difference sadly

Place the mavic on the ground don't take off or anything, just see if you can get video. Calibrate Gimbal, in the settings there is a HD icon and I think you can change transmission settings there...

Placing drone on ground and not taking off yields choppy/lagging/frozen video, when i take off its even worse. I will try calibrating gimbal again tonight and adjusting the transmission settings, everythins is on default currently

Download Litchi and see if you get the same issue make sure DJI go is not running. Litchi is 24$ but you can return for a full refund within a couple hours. I would do it within 1 hour on the play store. I find litchi is much less CPU intensive.

I purchased Litchi before i returned it the first time to try eliminate the go app and its the exact same.

Maybe, I will see if i can find any of my friends. Personally if i can only get it to work on an expensive phone i will be legally returning it for a refund sadly :/

It could always be a problem with the Antenna on the controller or the MP. Stay within 5 feet of the MP with video on and walk away from it, does it get worse? At what distance does it degrade? Inspect the controller as well to make sure the Antenna feel secure. Any damage to the front feet of the MP? That is where the Antenna are on the quad.

Happens at any distance. Today I was standing under a foot away and it was happening. The drone and controller both look brand new, its barely left my bedroom to be honest.

Nothing at all, I use the app landing every time and have not flown anywhere near trees or anything it could hit, Its realistically had 4 flights, 3 within the space of a couple hours when i first got it which were just an up and down in my front yard to show my flatmates, the second was a decent flight around my bosses house and every time since then has just been taken off to see if what I changed fixed the video.

If all this fails to work, I would point back to the Mavic but I might be missing some steps so we will wait for @Thunderdrones and see if he has any suggestions.

Point back to mavic?

Thank you for all this advice :) I honestly wish it was just something simple so I could use the thing, its coming to the end of summer here and I bought this specifically to use at events over summer and I haven't been able to use it once for any of them which really sucks to say the least haha.

I know sounds funning try a different sd card

I know sounds funning try a different sd card

Thanks, I'll see if i can find one :) I may have one stashed in a drawer somewhere maybe, i never use them and don't own any digital cameras or anything. The one I have is the one that came with the drone pre-installed.

Wouldn't hurt to relink the remote to bird and reformat the card you have.

Wouldn't hurt to relink the remote to bird and reformat the card you have.

I have reformatted the card, as i thought maybe it was causing issues, but I'll try re-pairing shortly when i get home also :)

Try to go down a version from the 4.1.15. Also when you are piloting, put the device in airplane mode. See if that helps. I will try 4.1.10, Yes I have tried the phones in airplane and not, makes no difference sadly

Placing drone on ground and not taking off yields choppy/lagging/frozen video, when i take off its even worse. I will try calibrating gimbal again tonight and adjusting the transmission settings, everythins is on default currently

I purchased Litchi before i returned it the first time to try eliminate the go app and its the exact same.

Maybe, I will see if i can find any of my friends. Personally if i can only get it to work on an expensive phone i will be legally returning it for a refund sadly :/

Happens at any distance. Today I was standing under a foot away and it was happening. The drone and controller both look brand new, its barely left my bedroom to be honest.

Nothing at all, I use the app landing every time and have not flown anywhere near trees or anything it could hit, Its realistically had 4 flights, 3 within the space of a couple hours when i first got it which were just an up and down in my front yard to show my flatmates, the second was a decent flight around my bosses house and every time since then has just been taken off to see if what I changed fixed the video.

Point back to mavic?

Thank you for all this advice :) I honestly wish it was just something simple so I could use the thing, its coming to the end of summer here and I bought this specifically to use at events over summer and I haven't been able to use it once for any of them which really sucks to say the least haha.
I don't think buying a iPhone is the solution, I was just suggesting to try as a troubleshooting steps to eliminate the phone or any phone for that matter as being the problem. If we can do that we can get u enough ammo to return it

Point back to mavic?

Oh and it's beginning of summer here... Won't be able to fly except early morning in Arizona.. I believe my mavic will melt at 115f.

I don't think buying a iPhone is the solution, I was just suggesting to try as a troubleshooting steps to eliminate the phone or any phone for that matter as being the problem. If we can do that we can get u enough ammo to return it

Got ya :) I just meant a new phone to make the drone work isn't ever going to be an option for me as it's just not worth it, living in NZ means things are overpriced to begin with haha. Where I sent it they said they all have iphones and it worked on the iphone. So it makes it sound like a phone issue but everyone else can use a S5 so there's no reason I shouldn't be able too :)

Oh and it's beginning of summer here... Won't be able to fly except early morning in Arizona.. I believe my mavic will melt at 115f.

Is it ever not summer temps there? hahaha. The hottest we ever get here would be 35c maybe a couple times over the whole summer. 28+ is hot for us lol.

Our winter only lasted 1 month... lol...

1 month? haha. That feels like how long our summer lasts.

So i was busy last night but managed to get 4.1.10 installed and by just standing the drone beside me i didn't see any video lag / glitches / issues. So I'll take it in the air at lunch today :) I must not of gone back so far in versions last time i did this. a Little annoying though that I may not be able to update as I know they do release new features from time to time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+