DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gloves for cold weather flying

JoColon

Reactions
What are some good suggestions for a pair of glances that are warm enough for me to be outside in 20 degrees Fahrenheit or less. And that I can still use the touch screen display on my phone.

The PGYTECH photography gloves might be a good option for you. They are made for cold weather use, have fingertips that can touch mobile screens, and you can even pop your fingers through the tips if you want.

1547397420610.png

Reactions: buddb55
But are they warm enough? I am talking really cold weather like 20-0 degrees Fahrenheit

I haven't personally used them. In the video review above, the reviewer noted they are warm at 19 Fahrenheit (the temperature on the day he reviewed them).

I have the PGYTECH photography gloves buy have yet to try flying with them. Weather was too warm on the one nice sunny day and the other days were rainy and foggy. Still waiting to try them, but they feel pretty warm. I also have a pair of North Face etip gloves for flying in cool weather. Very nice and snug fitting with great tactile feel - almost like having no gloves at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRomine
What are some good suggestions for a pair of glances that are warm enough for me to be outside in 20 degrees Fahrenheit or less. And that I can still use the touch screen display on my phone.
I use a pair of Costco cheapies and stick a hand warmer packet in each.Helps a lot.

Reactions: StevenM
Thanks for the tip. Do you know if they are waterproof?
They are not (made of wool with nylon/metal threads in the palms/fingers for connectivity), but can take a good deal of snow before soaking up because of the grip layer on the inside of the hand.
I like them because most others I tried restricted my freedom and stick feeling so much, I found myself taking them off all the time anyway. These Mujjo's I can keep on and still work nicely with the drone/remote/sticks/screen. But they are for the same reasons not the warmest, I have owned but work OK down to about 20 F.

Added: I actually hike to the site with big ski gloves on to keep my fingers extra warm, then switch to the Mujjo's when ready to fly. ;-)
"

Last edited:
Reactions: MRomine and StevenM
They are not (made of wool with nylon/metal threads in the tips for connectivity), but can take a good deal of snow before soaking up because of the grip layer on the inside of the hand.
I like them because most others I tried restricted my freedom and stick feeling so much, I found myself taking them off all the time anyway. These Mujjo's I can keep on and still work nicly with the drone/remote/sticks/screen. But they are for the same reasons not the warmest, I have owned but work OK down to about 20 F.

"
Thank you very much for the quick feedback!

I was shooting a home this morning (outdoors) here on Cape Cod (US) in -5c/23f and my current gloves do not work with the touchscreen anymore. Upgrading and will give the Mujjo's a look.

Have a good one!

I think what you might be looking for is a good pair of photography gloves. Vallerret makes the best ones I've seen, and either the Markhof Pro 2.0 or the Ipsoot model if you need even warmer. They are merino wool lined and the index finger and thumb have pop off tops for using cameras, but they also happen to be perfect for drone flying. You can buy them at B&H in the USA but here is the manufacturer website (also free shipping to the USA):

Markhof Pro 2.0 Photography Glove

Ipsoot Photography Glove

They are $79 and $109 respectively which is not a bad price at all for a glove of those materials that will last many years.

I have gone through about 10 pairs of cheap-ish touchscreen capable gloves that are supposedly insulated, waterproof, windproof, etc. and my hands are always freezeing even around 0 Celsius (32F). I've returned them all. A quality glove like the above with a proper wool lining fares much better in my experience - I ordered a pair after much research. Forget all the cheap Amazon touch screen gloves like PGY, etc - I have tried so many like them and none of them are any good, at least in my opinion.

A good set of gloves is very important, especially since cold hands can affect your ability to fly properly.

Reactions: MRomine
I fly from inside my warm car, but the park I fly in keeps it within 1000 feet distance and I keep it under 400 feet high.

Along with the suggestions above, you could look at sporting goods stores for hunting gloves that have the ability to quickly expose a fingertip.

I've returned them all. A quality glove like the above with a proper wool lining fares much better in my experience - I ordered a pair after much research.
So, which brand did you end up going with? How well did they work?

So, which brand did you end up going with? How well did they work?

Vallerret Markhof Pro 2.0. Pretty much perfect for flying around +/- 0 Celsius, and some people claim to use them down to -15-20C which is probably a bit optimistic for the design (The Ipsoot would be better suited for those temperatures). I spend hours outside with my camera and my hands are always the first thing to get cold, so I got these. It's a bonus that they are also perfect for drone flying, and with the tacky grip you will never drop your controller. If you size them right you can get another thin merino or smart wool liner in them if you need the extra warmth without the bulk.

Ended up costing me $140 CAD after exchange and duties (I got them from B&H), but if you live in the USA they are a good deal at $80 IMHO.

I have the PGYTECH photography gloves buy have yet to try flying with them. Weather was too warm on the one nice sunny day and the other days were rainy and foggy. Still waiting to try them, but they feel pretty warm. I also have a pair of North Face etip gloves for flying in cool weather. Very nice and snug fitting with great tactile feel - almost like having no gloves at all.

NF should be giving those away for free with the size of that logo on the back of each glove. LOL

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S