DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Go with the Zoom over the Pro

Soft7

Reactions
I received my Mavic Pro 2 today (along with a few other goodies) and had a chance to take if for a few spins. The camera is great with super color and clarity. However, I believe having a zoom will outweigh the increased camera quality for MOST users. Again, this is all a matter of preference but absolutely no zoom will probably drive me nuts.

Also, the CrystalSky is not updated for the Mavic Pro 2...yet. You can still fly the drone, just some of the features and functions do not work. At least they did not work for me.

I was able to synchronize the drone with the RE goggles with no issues.

For those on the fence, I just wanted to share an opinion from a Pro owner.

IMG_3310.JPG

Keep in mind between the Sensor size and the extra Megapixels you can do a lot of cropping to zoom in in post. I went with the Pro as well and haven't regretted it yet.
gsmarena_002.jpg

Keep in mind between the Sensor size and the extra Megapixels you can do a lot of cropping to zoom in in post. I went with the Pro as well and haven't regretted it yet.
gsmarena_002.jpg

I did read that prior to pulling the trigger. What software do you use?

Beginner shot taken today with Zoom. Download to phone, hit the wizard auto enhancer, that’s it!

No desire to sit and edit after shooting. Want to make a quick enhancement or two from iPhone and share. For me Zoom was the way to go. Appreciate your feedback from the other side :)

I agree, the zoom offers so much more for the average pilot. If you really want/need professional equipment, spend $6000 on an Inspire 2. Heck, my iPhone X takes great photos, I don’t need to spend for expensive lenses and a DSLR Full Frame camera, leave that to the professionals who strive for perfection, I prefer simlicity, professionals still need heavy use of “post” in order to deliver great results. No thanks.

Beginner shot taken today with Zoom. Download to phone, hit the wizard auto enhancer, that’s it!

No desire to sit and edit after shooting. Want to make a quick enhancement or two from iPhone and share. For me Zoom was the way to go. Appreciate your feedback from the other side :)

I got to do my maiden flight today with the M2P just in the neighborhood, nothing fancy.
DJI_0005.jpg

My thoughts exactly! I'm considering either a Zoom or a Pro. Will most likely go for a Zoom.

My brother and I are split. He's a photographer and uses drones as just another tool. He understands all that lingo; F-stop, white-balance, blah, blah, blah... Me, I like flying around taking pictures. He's going for the MP2 and I'm leaning towards the Zoom. But he too said that with the 1" sensor you can do a lot of post-production work to "enlarge" the image you want....

if you like still photography or shooting in low light/golden hour and enjoy colour grading in post then the go with the pro..
if you want to just shoot and upload for instant gratification or dont have the time for LUTs then go zoom.
I preferably like the sound of a 1 inch sensor but after a lot of research i have found the zoom to offer a lot more (cheaper also). 8bit rate @ 100mbs using H.265 is good enough for me..

I will probably wait for a price drop as my Mavic 1 Pro still serves me well.

gsmarena_002.jpg

Field of view isnt everything. Its perspective compression. You'll get a substantially different feel to the image filming at 48mm vs cropping into about 48mm.

That said, i ordered the pro (if they ever ship it) because for me the mavic 1 camera was by far the weakest part and the M2 zoom doesn't offer any improvements there.

With the improved "snap on" filters for the mavic 2 pro, I wonder if we'll see an optical zoom filter from a 3rd party. Kind of like how you have snap-on wide angle/macro/telephoto lenses for phones.

It wouldn't be user-controllable, but I could certainly see snapping on a telephoto lens for a specific shot

Went with the zoom. For the average quad flyer I think it's the way to go, but for the "shutter bug" I guess Hasselblad is the way to go. Next feature will be Hasselblad Zoom so it will satisfy all, Sure Not:) Most important they fly reliably.

Reactions: Ramjet
Im not a professional photographer or videographer. I bought the Zoom because it was cheaper than the Pro and I didnt need ultra professional results for my pictures and videos. So far, extremely pleased with it. Great subtle improvements over my MPP.

Do you mind post some pics? Taking a few pics and then zooming in on a specific area within the pic?

I’m just trying to get an idea on the zoomed quality vs the cropped quality.

Thanks

Do you mind post some pics? Taking a few pics and then zooming in on a specific area within the pic?

I’m just trying to get an idea on the zoomed quality vs the cropped quality.

Thanks
I would love to but Fedex has not delivered my big boy toy yet. It's due by 4:30 pm but my confidence is low for the delivery. Just left INDIANAPOLIS, IN 6:48 am this morning, I'm in Fla. Very sorry I'm not able to assist you. If it's any help I did get a Mavic 2 Firmware update this morning at 10:01 am? Best of luck.

I ordered the Zoom based much on the same conclusions as others have reached. I'm kinda impatient and I don't really have time to sit around and do a lot of post work, so usually, I'm just looking for the best shots I can get quickly. So...I thought for me, that the Zoom would be the way to go. However, as I started thinking more about it, I started waffling :) I haven't even gotten mine yet (it's already shipped), but I'm thinking about returning it and getting the Pro. While I do agree that the Zoom is a nice drone and that the actual perspective effects cannot be fully accomplished or realized by simply "getting closer" all of the time, I just think that the better sensor (and likely better optics) on the Pro leave so much more capability to get shots in more environments (dawn, dusk, night, overcast conditions, etc.). The variable aperture and other items might let me fly and shoot scenes that I'd never attempt with the smaller sensor...

Why oh why did DJI have to do this!!! :) I think I could talk myself into either one and I can't afford both!

I ordered the Zoom based much on the same conclusions as others have reached. I'm kinda impatient and I don't really have time to sit around and do a lot of post work, so usually, I'm just looking for the best shots I can get quickly. So...I thought for me, that the Zoom would be the way to go. However, as I started thinking more about it, I started waffling :) I haven't even gotten mine yet (it's already shipped), but I'm thinking about returning it and getting the Pro. While I do agree that the Zoom is a nice drone and that the actual perspective effects cannot be fully accomplished or realized by simply "getting closer" all of the time, I just think that the better sensor (and likely better optics) on the Pro leave so much more capability to get shots in more environments (dawn, dusk, night, overcast conditions, etc.). The variable aperture and other items might let me fly and shoot scenes that I'd never attempt with the smaller sensor...

Why oh why did DJI have to do this!!! :) I think I could talk myself into either one and I can't afford both!
It is sometimes best to go with your initial instinct, you pulled the trigger on well thought use for you, don’t second guess your decision. I woulda shoulda will always cause you grief. It will cost you money to return and more money for the Mv2Pro. When you get the Mv2Pro you’ll get made that you can’t zoom in. If your a professional photographer and paid for your work go with the best possible equipment.
Why did Dji do it, so next year you’ll have to buy Mavic 2+Pro with Hasselblad zoom

Reactions: Ramjet and mcsenerd
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost