DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Go4 App crash

HunterKiller

Reactions
My Apps been crashing mid flight. I have perfect reception and screen just goes black. The first time I panicked. Mavic 2 was literally 2 miles away in heavy foliage on a perimeter check of some property. I literally raced to its last location and searched through razor grass for 2 hours only to find it when I got home where it left from. Happened to me several times since then.

I TOTALLY believe it’s the App because I’ve found that I can still fly it blind. Yesteday when it happened I looked at the controller itself and could see the distance, RPMs and everything. I literally turned drone a little at a time and flew forward till I could see the distance was decreasing and flew back like that.

A couple times I actually closed the app and reopened It which is unnerving but i had full connection again and it was as if everything was fine. Any info is greatly appreciated. I’m a noob with a lot of terrifying drone experiences so far lol

the main two reasons for the app crashing and loss of picture are the cable from the RC to the device, or the device shutting down the app because its CPU cant handle the amount of info it is trying to process from the app, this will cause the device to overheat and crash, this can also happen if it is very hot and this will overheat the device as well,thats the good thing about the earlier mavic controllers you can still fly the drone easily using the info on the RC screen

the main two reasons for the app crashing and loss of picture are the cable from the RC to the device, or the device shutting down the app because its CPU cant handle the amount of info it is trying to process from the app, this will cause the device to overheat and crash, this can also happen if it is very hot and this will overheat the device as well,thats the good thing about the earlier mavic controllers you can still fly the drone easily using the info on the RC screen

Hmmmmm. Not the cable cause I used 2 different cables. Doubt it’s the CPU cause it’s an IPAD PRO that I use jus for flying the drone. But thanks for the replies. At a Loss

I was having grief like you and tried about 4 different cables . I now use a cable made by anker and make sure the cord port is clean . I have not had a Go-4 app crash in over two years now

Assuming you have a mobile phone, why not download go4 on the phone and try that? could narrow down the problem for you.
As well, try both the side port on the RC and the bottom port.

Go4 on a good device does not routinely crash (never for me actually to date). I am not familiar with iPad Pro devices (I'm an android guy) but is possible that is an older, slower device? I know people talk about iPad 5 and they work well but I dont remember anyone talking about a Pro model. But probably me not knowing apple products, sorry.

Assuming you have a mobile phone, why not download go4 on the phone and try that? could narrow down the problem for you.
As well, try both the side port on the RC and the bottom port.

Go4 on a good device does not routinely crash (never for me actually to date). I am not familiar with iPad Pro devices (I'm an android guy) but is possible that is an older, slower device? I know people talk about iPad 5 and they work well but I dont remember anyone talking about a Pro model. But probably me not knowing apple products, sorry.

I used my IPhone a lot on my drone when I first got it and then changed to the IPad without any issues. I’m gonna try and go back to the iPhone as u suggested and see what happens. I was wondering if I should uninstall App and reload it but I’d lose all tasks in my Waypoint Library right?

Another reason to fly with line of sight Thumbswayup
Is the device you are running Go4 on up to the job ?

lol. I’m a total Noob and thought“Line of sight” was literally that. From where I live in the mountains I can across the island and ocean to the horizon. Figure that’s what it meant. I still don’t know if it doesn’t. I figure they advertise this drone to go 5 miles so figure it’s ok to go 2.5. Learning as I go and it’s on a lot of land that I’m in charge of so I’m still kinda confused on a lot of this. I’ve ran my drone on both phone and IPad 4 a lot before without issues. This only recently popped up. Wondering if the crash in the brush has something to do with it.

lol. I’m a total Noob and thought“Line of sight” was literally that. From where I live in the mountains I can across the island and ocean to the horizon. Figure that’s what it meant. I still don’t know if it doesn’t. I figure they advertise this drone to go 5 miles so figure it’s ok to go 2.5. Learning as I go and it’s on a lot of land that I’m in charge of so I’m still kinda confused on a lot of this. I’ve ran my drone on both phone and IPad 4 a lot before without issues. This only recently popped up. Wondering if the crash in the brush has something to do with it.
The KEY point is Visual Line of Sight meaning being able to see and determine aircraft position, orientation, and heading. Not a speck on the horizon or a mere flash of light once in a while. If you can't see the aircraft how are you able to See & Avoid (Sense and Avoid in some writings) to stay clear of Manned Aircraft??????

Just because the manufacturer makes some outrageous claims does not mean Federal Regulations are going to abide by and ALLOW you to test such claims. Just like your car/motorcycle is probably capable of going a LOT more than the speed limit but I'd guess you mostly try to abide by that stated speed limit.

Reactions: old man mavic
My Apps been crashing mid flight. I have perfect reception and screen just goes black. The first time I panicked. Mavic 2 was literally 2 miles away in heavy foliage on a perimeter check of some property. I literally raced to its last location and searched through razor grass for 2 hours only to find it when I got home where it left from. Happened to me several times since then.

I TOTALLY believe it’s the App because I’ve found that I can still fly it blind. Yesteday when it happened I looked at the controller itself and could see the distance, RPMs and everything. I literally turned drone a little at a time and flew forward till I could see the distance was decreasing and flew back like that.

A couple times I actually closed the app and reopened It which is unnerving but i had full connection again and it was as if everything was fine. Any info is greatly appreciated. I’m a noob with a lot of terrifying drone experiences so far lol

You've not fully grasped how the system works.

• The Transmitter/Radio/RC is connected to the aircraft via a dedicated link regardless of the state of your viewing device and associated items.
  • The Tablet/Phone/Viewing Device is connected to the Transmitter/Radio/RC and not the aircraft directly so it's failure has no bearing on the manual control of the aircraft.
  • In the event of a Tablet/Phone/Viewing Device or App (DJI GO4 for example) or USB cable failure you still have FULL CONTROL of the aircraft. The caveat is you have to know how to fly the aircraft w/o the device and have it within Visual Line of Sight so you can determine orientation and safely fly the aircraft manually back to the landing point.

Remember the Viewing Device is for you and not actually controlling the aircraft during normal flights. Once the controller is connected to the UAS you can take the viewing device and turn it off or toss it in the river and you'll still have FULL control of the aircraft just no video feed and very little telemetry to work from.

This is one of the many reasons why we must always fly the aircraft within our VLOS. One of the few (so far) UAS to Manned Aircraft Incidents (I didn't say accident because it was not) was from flying BVLOS and losing connection to the aircraft. The UAS was flying way beyond VLOS and lost connection to the controller. It initiated an automatic RTH but unfortunately a Black Hawk UH-60 was flying in the area and the RTH path of the UAS impacted the rotors of the UH-60 and resulted in an emergency landing (SAFELY). The rotors of the UH-60 had to be replaced but thankfully no one was hurt.

Real good advice BIG.
I've had the very same thing happen several times recently and I'm using an older device (tablet) and older s/w. That, as it turns out, is the (ongoing) issue as I'm completing a re-install or older versions today- I had a conflict between s/w installed on my bird and what was on the tablet.
I'm using an older version DJIGo4 (2018) cuz my tablet works very well with it(not so much the newer versions). In a hurry one day heading out the door I quickly plugged in my table for charging and an "Update" came on- in my hurry I hit OK.
After several issues with the app crashing as above I realized and looked- I had the very latest issue on my tablet. Too much horsepower required for my little tablet.
Lucky for me in both instances I was flying in Intelligent Flight Modes (POI) and was able to allow the craft to continue flying and recording while I re-booted the tablet and regained communication enough to bring it home ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS