DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Goggle choice? w/ RC Pro/ A2s: realizing I don’t need VRx, just a cable

pchaps

Reactions
New here. First new thread. I’m getting A2s with RC Pro, driving from B&H on Thursday! Was looking at DJI fpv googles then realized I would use HDMI output from controller so the googles don’t even need to have video receiver. I wear glasses (extremely near sighted), and would ideally like to have goggles that I could wear OVER my glasses so I could quickly look at monitor at a glance etc. then go back to goggles. I’ve been using the search function here but it mostly leads to DJI goggles with built in video receive modules, which I don’t really need. Did I get that right?

I think that fit over glasses is really important to me initially at least. Then good quality to see what I am capturing in video. In short, I don’t need an over-the-top immersive experience — just see my shots clearly as I’m flying.

I have budget for that best within reason, but I’m a farm/ranch guy and like the best bang for the buck.

Glasses and goggles are a pain but I literally have a big/wide head. there are or were corrective lenses made for these goggles, I don't remeber if they are genuine DJI or aftermarket things.
Plus you may have to come up with DIY padding to get the goggles to be a good fit on your head.
However, to remain legal, you likely need a spotter when wearing goggles so think carefully.

Reactions: pchaps
I don’t think the current DJI FPV goggles will work as you describe, you need the original white (post #2) or later RE (racing edition) goggles, both now no longer made by DJI
Obsolete, but maybe some countries still available new, or as mentioned found 2nd hand sometimes.
I use TE with older Spark drone with cable, and of course with the M1P with occusync connection.
Later occusync not compatible.

Glasses and goggles are a pain but I literally have a big/wide head. there are or were corrective lenses made for these goggles, I don't remeber if they are genuine DJI or aftermarket things.
Plus you may have to come up with DIY padding to get the goggles to be a good fit on your head.
However, to remain legal, you likely need a spotter when wearing goggles so think carefully.
Thanks. I prefer to avoid the DJI diopter insert corrective lenses, and wear my glasses inside the goggles, if possible. I do fine with adding padding and have a spotter.

I don’t think the current DJI FPV goggles will work as you describe, you need the original white (post #2) or later RE (racing edition) goggles, both now no longer made by DJI
Obsolete, but maybe some countries still available new, or as mentioned found 2nd hand sometimes.
I use TE with older Spark drone with cable, and of course with the M1P with occusync connection.
Thank you. For the original white, and the later RE racing edition, can the battery be easily user-replaced? I will check out the RE. All new to me.

Thank you. For the original white, and the later RE racing edition, can the battery be easily user-replaced? I will check out the RE. All new to me.

Not sure about battery replacement, that's in the headband and possibly just a 1s or 2s lipo.

Not even what they use, if lipo (probable) or other type, but I do notice my RE (and I assume the original white) goggles don't auto discharge or lose charge like drone batteries.
I can go to use the goggles 3 months since last use, and if they were near full charge when left, they will be same level.
Very often I'll just pop them on charge anyway, in case a short belt on that will balance any cell issues, but most times the lights don't even do the normal flashing charging thing, they just stay non lit.

Have owned them for a few years, but rarely use them, usually just let others wear them for the FPV experience while I fly as normal.
They still seem to hold their charge very well (up to 6 hours use) and if I use them for say an hour flying out say 4 batteries, then I just put them away and charge again when next thinking I'll get some use from them.
When doing trips I think I'll use them, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, either way end of day will just leave them as is.

The original DJI goggles have HDMI-in and still have the most immersive FOV of any that I've tried, and the highest resolution screens. The downsides are the size and weight and lack of optical adjustability. However, you can buy aftermarket corrective lens and/or wear glasses under them.

Reactions: gcopter1
Not sure about battery replacement, that's in the headband and possibly just a 1s or 2s lipo.

Not even what they use, if lipo (probable) or other type, but I do notice my RE (and I assume the original white) goggles don't auto discharge or lose charge like drone batteries.
I can go to use the goggles 3 months since last use, and if they were near full charge when left, they will be same level.
Very often I'll just pop them on charge anyway, in case a short belt on that will balance any cell issues, but most times the lights don't even do the normal flashing charging thing, they just stay non lit.

Have owned them for a few years, but rarely use them, usually just let others wear them for the FPV experience while I fly as normal.
They still seem to hold their charge very well (up to 6 hours use) and if I use them for say an hour flying out say 4 batteries, then I just put them away and charge again when next thinking I'll get some use from them.
When doing trips I think I'll use them, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, either way end of day will just leave them as is.
Thanks for the additional information. I am reading more about the original DJI and Racing Edition RE. It appears that the battery is built in to the headband as you mentioned. Further, it is not user-serviceable. I wonder if anyone has found a way to crack the headband and replace the battery, or remove it and add an external one? That is a major consideration. I found a like-new v.1 (white) DJI goggle here, but worry about battery condition.

The original DJI goggles have HDMI-in and still have the most immersive FOV of any that I've tried, and the highest resolution screens. The downsides are the size and weight and lack of optical adjustability. However, you can buy aftermarket corrective lens and/or wear glasses under them.
Thank you! That surprised me pleasantly that you said that they are immersive! I watched a few YouTubes and realized how big and bulkly the DJI white and DJI RE are. Still, it would work for me as I am pure utilitarian. If I could find a way to replace the battery or McGuyver an external battery, I would buy that mint DJI v.1, or look for the RE. I will find out more about the Racing Edition (black) -- are they better in terms of image quality compared to the original white ones?

Thank you! That surprised me pleasantly that you said that they are immersive! I watched a few YouTubes and realized how big and bulkly the DJI white and DJI RE are. Still, it would work for me as I am pure utilitarian. If I could find a way to replace the battery or McGuyver an external battery, I would buy that mint DJI v.1, or look for the RE. I will find out more about the Racing Edition (black) -- are they better in terms of image quality compared to the original white ones?
Following.

However, you can buy aftermarket corrective lens and/or wear glasses under them.

If you need the corrective lenses . . . a little more info

DJI made their own corrective lenses for the white and RE goggles, but I suspect they are probably no longer available.

This company makes good lens correctors, perhaps better than DJI made, and have read many good reports on them here on the forum . . .

Some just wear light frame smaller size magnifying readers and get by fine (1.5x, 2.0x).

The battery.
I think you are overthinking / over worrying regarding that.

In the 4 years I've owned mine, or 5 years reading this forum, I can't recall a thread about a goggles battery going on anyone.

If the goggles you are looking at are in good condition, lightly used, the battery will most likely be perfectly fine for many years.

The RE goggles have a very marginally better latency than the white, but the average user just won't be able to pick anything there.

Every time I see this thread I read "Google" and wonder what we're searching for. :p

Almost every time I type googles goggles, I very often type googles by mistake . . . SEE ?!

DJI made their own corrective lenses for the white and RE goggles, but I suspect they are probably no longer available.

This company makes good lens correctors, perhaps better than DJI made, and have read many good reports on them here on the forum . . .

Some just wear light frame smaller size magnifying readers and get by fine (1.5x, 2.0x).

The battery.

In the 4 years I've owned mine, or 5 years reading this forum, I can't recall a thread about a goggles battery going on anyone.

If the goggles you are looking at are in good condition, lightly used, the battery will most likely be perfectly fine for many years.

The RE goggles have a very marginally better latency than the white, but the average user just won't be able to pick anything there.

Almost every time I type googles goggles, I very often type googles by mistake . . . SEE ?!
I have some of those corrective lens inserts - they work well.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Thanks, now I see the RE model in black. Those may be my best bet. The kicker is that the battery is likely sealed in the headband and and therefor not easily user-serviceable. That’s a hurdle that I may not care to cross as I want a user-replaceable battery. If you know of anyone who has hacked/cracked/McGuyvered a battery placement in the original DJI white or the later black RE’s, please point me to the tutorial as I can’t seem to find one.

The battery.

Tell me about it. I’ve been boggling google goggles all day long :) Thanks for the info and link for the corrective lenses. Also, thanks for insight into the battery life and model differentiation as there is indeed a pair of white goggles available locally here and the seller claims they only tried them briefly 3x. I may haggle with them and see if we can strike a deal.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut