DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Goggles for Mavic Mini (and others)

GerdS

Reactions
As DJI actually offers no support for flying the Mavic Mini with goggles and even Litchi developers cannot promise any support because of their dependency from DJI's SDK I have looked around for other options (no, a tablet with HDMI output is no option for me) and found the "XIMMESE Visor X", which takes a standard smartphone with any app running and no need for VR support.

Unfortunately these goggles are only designed for indoor usage and are lacking any protection against light entering from the sides or from top behind the front mirror.
So I have designed sun shields for 3D printing which will effectively minimise that problem. The shields can be attached to the goggles without modification and can be removed for transport.
I have already tested with the DJI GO4 app and it can be operated by either a handheld Bluetooth controller or by Google's "Voice Access" app. The DJI Fly app should behave similar. Ensure that brightness is set to a high level and automatic adaption is turned off.

For connecting the phone on distance to the Mini controller you will need a standard MicroUSB OTG cable which plugs into the left (and only) USB port of the Mini controller. At the other end you can plug in a standard USB cable matching your phone's connector, e.g. its charging cable.
Ideally you buy an OTG cable with 90° connector and also a standard cable with 90° connector to your phone.

I found this OTG cable set and this cable with USB-C connector which works fine with my Mate 20 Pro.

The STL files can be downloaded from Thingiverse.

IMG_20191107_082934.jpg IMG_20191107_082839.jpg IMG_20191107_082812.jpg IMG_20191107_085115.jpgDJI_0482.JPGDJI_0483.JPG

Last edited:
Had my first flights today with the Mini. After feeling safe with it I flew 2 batteries with using my goggles. Works as expected!

I also took off from my hand and also grabbed it out of the air instead of landing. As "landing protection" is always enabled on the MM you just need to grab it from front side and then keep the thrust stick down until the motors will stop.
It's quite easy to do when using a lanyard for the remote.
DJI_0005.JPG

Reactions: Pete Mitchell
Looks cool, has anyone thought of a way to connect a second phone and put that in a VR headset?

phone1 > attached and connected to remote
phone2 > porting phone1 screen with a split screen for vr headset.

idea is to let someone else get first person view.

I'm currently using a heavily modified version of the MERGE VR headset. It's made out of high density foam, and the dual lens set up it comes with for VR purposes are designed to be easily removable for cleaning purposes, so that makes the headset VERY easy to modify for use with the Mavic Mini without any stressful search and rescue operation on forums. You can also re-install these dual lenses even after all of this heavy modification, and still get the VR use intended for this headset, to watch 360 VR youtube videos or other VR content.

Basically you'll need to convert it to a single lens. Optimally, if you want the image to be slightly magnified, you can use what is called a Fresnel lens. It's the same material used in old school projectors. It is a plastic sheet with grooves on one side that magnifies whatever is on the other side, but only when the lens is held a few inches away, making it great to use for this purpose. The only issue is, the sheet is not good at focusing the image for you when you are wearing the headset, due to your eyes being so close to the lens. You're going to need to make some modifications.

My modifications list:
1. Cut a nose indentation in the fresnel lens, for easier installation of the lens.
2. Use raw Ski Goggle frames or glue foam spacers on the goggle frame section that rests upon your face while wearing, to focus the image.
3. Cut a small box out of the upper right inner frame portion leading to the phone screen (easiest to use a pen style razor blade) in order to view the battery life. (optional)
4. Remove the inner lens central spacer leading to the phone screen. (You can use scissors for this and then a normal razor blade for cleaning up)
5. Remove small central spacer in the lens canal to make way for fresnel lens. (optional: You can always avoid this step by cutting gaps in the lens for these spacers.)
6. Remove the two curved phone supports on the back wall (where the back of your phone would rest) to provide extra room for image focusing due to fresnel lens usage.
7. YOU MUST HAVE AT LEAST A 2ft VIDEO DATA CABLE. I use Type C, so I bought a 2ft Micro USB to Type C cable. It MUST be compatible with the drone's data requirements. I made this mistake by buying a normal Micro to Type C cable, which didn't work, then a Type C Female to Male extender, which didn't work either.
To help guide you to what you'll need to be looking for, this worked for me: Amazon.com: Compatible Micro USB to Type C Right Angle Video Data Cable for DJI Mavic 2 Zoom/Mavic 2 Pro/Mavic Air/Mavic Pro/Mavic Pro Platinum/DJI Spark: Computers & Accessories

Pricing:
2ft Micro USB to Type C Video Data Only - $6.79 USD
10"X7" 3x Magnification Fresnel Sheet (two) - $6.49 USD
MERGE VR Headset - $39.99

Steps 3 and 5 are entirely optional. The drone will give you full screen warnings about battery life when it's lower than 20%, but for longer distances you'll want to see battery life.
As for the central spacers for the dual lenses that come with the headset standard, they provide a guideline for when you re-install the lenses, but the lenses have pre-determined holes for the posts that hold them in, so they already center themselves. Those spacers are not necessary for the purpose we are looking to use the headset for, and to get optimal view, I recommend at least removing the top spacer so the fresnel lens can remain undisturbed across the entire top edge.

This isn't entirely perfect, but it worked for me, and honestly with how hard it is to accomplish an FPV goggle for the Mavic Mini that looks mildly professional, this does the trick for a very budget price. The image may also not be perfect, but it is clear enough to be worth while, at least for me. I guess the best way I could describe it would be as if you were flying a Mavic Mini using an old cathode ray TV. The image is clear enough for you to enjoy what you are looking at. Knowing that the drone is still recording in 2.7k and taking clear video and pictures, it honestly doesn't matter how clear it is for me at $34 for the headset. Comparatively, $34 for FPV that works just fine, when there is no goggle on the market compatible for the Mavic Mini right now, is great. I'm sure somewhere down the line we'll get some, but they're probably going to be $300+ for them, and I'm likely going to stick with my set up because why "buy another drone" to fly FPV?

--just a btw, the image quality is clearer in person, given you keep the lens clean. That's just sample photos--

Attachments

• 0419200842.jpg
    0419200842.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 67
  • DJI_0157.JPG
    DJI_0157.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:
@SavageCabbage Interesting solution but ofcourse single lens VR headset and a longer datacable is basically what we need. I recall seeing a thread about this here on the forum.

Update: this is the thread I was looking for:

Last edited:
Reactions: raulmavic
@SavageCabbage Interesting solution but ofcourse single lens VR headset and a longer datacable is basically what we need. I recall seeing a thread about this here on the forum.

Update: this is the thread I was looking for:

I'm author of previous thread. I keep flying Mavic Mini using my modified Quanum V2 Pro FPV googles. It's an amazing experience, very inmersive. You have to try it...

@raulmavic great solution to FPV flying. Ive been looking for a single lens headset but I find it harder than expected. Simply googling "single lens VR headset" doesn't give one much to go ahead with.

Reactions: raulmavic
@raulmavic great solution to FPV flying. Ive been looking for a single lens headset but I find it harder than expected. Simply googling "single lens VR headset" doesn't give one much to go ahead with.
Thans a lot for your possitive comments.

Some years ago was easy to find lot of "boxed" FPV single lens googles built in light foam. Quanum, Eachine,... lot of brands.

Maybe you can try second hand market ?

R.

Thans a lot for your possitive comments.

Some years ago was easy to find lot of "boxed" FPV single lens googles built in light foam. Quanum, Eachine,... lot of brands.

Maybe you can try second hand market ?

R.

Yes definitely, I might even try my luck on aliexpress.

Hello everyone, I just created an account to reply to that topic.
I just wanted to say that i spent around 6 hours today (thank you confinement) trying to find a headset for my Mavic Mini.

So I started with searching "single lens vr headset" in Europe, no success. I looked for "Monoscopic VR headset" "Old generation VR headset", nothing.
After understanding that i wouldn't find that relic of the past, I started looking for an "xImmerse VR Visor X" but all the stocks were empty. I tried my luck on eBay and a person who tried to sell it a few months ago, without success. She didn't reply to my messages.
Then I searched in 5 different languages (I'm in France), but just found a shady italian website. Some websites in appearance have the product but it's sent from China. I can almost confirm that all the available Visor X are in China.

Then i looked for variations of Visor X: I typed "AR headset smartphone" "smartphone glasses" "amplifier smartphone" and many many other things but again, everything's in China and the reviews are bad. Except for the " FIIT VR AR" headset, which is worth 25€ on aliexpress, and available in some european countries.
Concerning the Quanum and Eachine or FPV single lens boxes, i couldn't find anything, but thank you raulmavic for your posts, it's been a goldmine of info for a beginner like me.

To conclude, right now I have the choice between a lower fabric FIIT AR VR headset that would come in two weeks and an xImmerse visor x found on Gearbest, that would come in a month. I'm still hesitating between the two of them, but thanks to GerdS, his review and his blueprints for the visor, I think that i'm gonna head for that ximmerse visor x. There are more videos and articles about it on google anyway.

I don't know if I can put the links to buy the products here, if needed I can add them. I know we're a lot of people willing to try FPV!

Anyway thank you again GerdS and as well raulmavic for your topics, it's been really helpful!
Cheers,
Tonton

Edits: added some info and changed the syntax

Last edited:
Yes that's the FIIT AR VR headset, i found it as well. The problem is the sun blockers indeed, plus i think that the design isn't as good as yours, the x immerse

And i had a question, if you're just using sun glasses and putting brightness at maximum on the phone, is the sun blocker still mandatory? thank you!

I like the idea of the Visor X. Ill definitely look for one.

There is an app called Screen-stream for android (probably tens of apps that do this) that basically streams from smartphone to smartphone, computer or other device using IP. I reckon that this would allow you to keep your phone connected to the RC to control flight mode etc while using the second device for VR. I would however expect a few milliseconds of lag.

I do not have a single frame VR headset but ill try Screen-stream and DJI Fly app in a few hours.

Reactions: Tonton
And i had a question, if you're just using sun glasses and putting brightness at maximum on the phone, is the sun blocker still mandatory? thank you!
Yes they are mandatory. Wearing sun glasses doesn't help at all. Even more worse than full sunlight onto the display are the reflections or the sun shining onto only a part of the display.

There is an app called Screen-stream for android (probably tens of apps that do this) that basically streams from smartphone to smartphone, computer or other device using IP. I reckon that this would allow you to keep your phone connected to the RC to control flight mode etc while using the second device for VR. I would however expect a few milliseconds of lag.
Even if this sounds interesting, the lagging might be a bigger problem than expected, as the MM's Wifi transmission is already lagging a lot compared to e.g. OcuSync.
And a second active Wifi connecxtion near to the MM radio might have high influence on the connection to the drone, too.
But I will stay tuned to read your experience with it.

Thank you again GerdS!
Ajkari, I read some topics about mirroring the android to another android, and well the issue is the latency (a full second sometimes, so at 30km/h it's already 8meters of difference!) and as GerdS says, the interference with the controller has its effect.

In the end I'm going for the FIIT VR AR X, i don't trust packages sent from China mainland atm. They're just gonna get lost at some borders due to sanitary issues. So I prefer having the certitude of receiving a less quality product but more foldable as you said. I'll have to ask my sibling on how to design and print the sun shields for that product haha!

Edit: Meh I think that i'm chickening out. I don't trust the quality of that product. Found too many bad reviews. And I don't trust my craftsman skills at all haha. I'll wait for the release of Litchi for the Mavic Mini. DJI claimed to give the Mavic Mini SDK by april, and postponed to July. People are still waiting but it's better than nothing. In this way i'll just connect it to my Oculus Quest!

https://github.com/dji-sdk/Mobile-SDK-Android/issues/455 Look for comment from Michael DJI

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO