DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Goggles= Need help spending money

Hello, In the market for some goggles I’m getting mixed reviews on YouTube, I have the Mavic Pro 2 and I won’t be racing just filming and having fun. Are the white goggles sufficient or would I get more distance out of the racing goggles any advice please......

You won’t get better distance from the RE edition. In fact it sounds like there have been issues for some people using the RE Edition with the Mavic 2.

DJI actually has some refurbished units availible. I was gonna get these before I decided I was too poor and already bought too much drone stuff and ski equiptment(my other, even more expensive hobby)

If you haven’t used goggles before, I recommend you find a way to try before you buy. Many people love them, many hate them and many people actually get sick using them. For some they won’t stay on their head (including me) because the back of the head is to flat.
If it’s just about spending money, you can never have enough batteries.

The goggles were a HUGE waste of money for me. I bought them as a package with my M2P from DJI. I got them as a way to fight the sun. I found them comfortable and the video is very nice. Why then were they a waste? because they range is super limited using the goggles.

I couldn't take my drone out further than 800 meters at best. The video cuts out as well as the radio signal. Its ridiculous. I did several tests. With my old iPhone plugged into the controller and no goggles I was able to get out to 3000m easily (probably could have gone further). Put the goggles on and range is suddenly limited badly. Having the goggles on even causes the iPhone to start tripping out. It says signal lost (for the radio too, not just the video!!). Its very scary.

Here are some threads about it:
Mavic 2 Pro and goggles range
Mavic 2 and Goggles RE - Working for a short range only

If you want more info just google it and you'll see reports of this.

That being said, if you plan to keep the drone close, definitely consider the googles. Its a really pleasant experience as long as you don't fly very far away.

EDIT: Shoot, I should have mentioned, this is with the RE goggles, not the white ones. I'm not sure if the older white goggles suffer from the same issue.

Reactions: NoScreenNamesLeft
The goggles are forsure a really great experience. I feel more comforatae flying with the goggles because it’s easier to judge distance and I feel more aware of my surroundings and therefore have more control. Just get the white ones the appeal the RE edition is primarily that you can use them with non DJI drones too

RE goggles are a complete waste of money. Nothing but an expensive paper weight. DJI needs to address the situation and fix the issues with them. Very disappointed with them.

Reactions: tleedom
I have the M2Z and the Goggles RE and have had great experiences with them. Compared to other goggles that I've tried, the overall experience with the DJI Goggles is far better. The FOV, head tracking, OSD and ease of use is second to none, at least in my experience in the consumer market. The range isn't as good as it is with the controller alone however I've only tested this in a suburban environment with lots of WiFi routers broadcasting around me. Most recently I was able to travel 2500 ft across 2 neighborhoods with full 1080 video before the video had any loss of signal. I turned my head toward the direction of the M2Z and video came right back. I expect better results @ 720 in 2.4Ghz mode.

I have the white ones and have never had an issue. I usually hand them off to someone else to watch. They are the only way that I know of to control your gimble right and left. Pretty amazing.

Hello, In the market for some goggles I’m getting mixed reviews on YouTube, I have the Mavic Pro 2 and I won’t be racing just filming and having fun. Are the white goggles sufficient or would I get more distance out of the racing goggles any advice please......
Have you thought about the VLOS issue without a spotter when using goggles? No such problem when using Epson Moverio BT-300 glasses. Expensive, but I'm impressed with mine that I've had for the past few weeks.

Love vs hate...it's a classic

I have the white version, and really enjoy using them. However, I have the MP1

Range has never been an issue with the MP1

Have you thought about the VLOS issue without a spotter when using goggles? No such problem when using Epson Moverio BT-300 glasses. Expensive, but I'm impressed with mine that I've had for the past few weeks.
Hello Scuba, yes I have looked into it Epson’s they are the Cadillac of goggles. No doubt they are the best but need to come down in price first for this cowboy.

There is another option.
I use the Viper goggles. These goggles are a mirror type that hold your phone and you have a crystal clear view of your phone screen and Go4 in a goggle VR view. The beauty is you can remove the silicone side mask and still have side vision and remove the clostaphobic feeling but still have a shaded clear view of your screen. They come with own 2.4 diverseity receiver but just swap out with your phone. (upto 6 inch phone size)

NZ$ 211.86 11%OFF | FXT VIPER Version 2.0 5.8G Diversity HD FPV Video Goggles with DVR Built-in Refractor for RC Drone Quadcopter FPV Accessoriess

Reactions: alanwa007
It's got to be something. It's hard to imagine DJI restricting the M2P when the MP1 has never had an issue.
I have the mp1 mz2 and rarely fly without my RE goggles for me there's no experience like it and have never had range issues I think I'm one of the lucky ones when I read some of the threads about them I'm lucky being in Australia easy to get away from everything everyone this morning flew 5.5 km away clos 1080p all the way got a RTH and let it come home it gets the adrenaline going never thought I could sit in the cockpit of the mz2 at these distance's. Good luck with it and safe flying.

I have the mp1 mz2 and rarely fly without my RE goggles for me there's no experience like it and have never had range issues I think I'm one of the lucky ones when I read some of the threads about them I'm lucky being in Australia easy to get away from everything everyone this morning flew 5.5 km away clos 1080p all the way got a RTH and let it come home it gets the adrenaline going never thought I could sit in the cockpit of the mz2 at these distance's. Good luck with it and safe flying.
As far as I've seen it is only an issue with the M2P

Reactions: TR Ganey
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+