DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Going "pro" - which model, that has 4k/60fps that can be adapted for 80% over use best?

J3ffrey

Reactions
Have been a hobbyist for 10 years.. recently got some requests to do professional work. Did the license part, did my first real paid filming yesterday, with a mavic mini...

Spent all last night looking at water proof options.. I like the PowerEgg X, but something doesn't settle right with me about the company. Very few actual reviews with drone footage, cost, etc..

I am planning to do a TON of work that will involve flying over the water, sometimes in windy conditions, definitely in sea states with large swells (not breaking waves)...

Which model DJI would you go for if you were intending to make it suitable for landing on water? Yes I know I can insure it (and I will), but I would like to make this as easy as possible to recover and move on with the day. I did see the lifejacket option for the mini, but I am thinking that it may not have enough power to deal with higher winds.

On the flip side, I love the size and compactness of the mini, which is why I bought it in the first place...

I'd like to stay 1000 or under and do not mind buying used/reconditioned..

I have also owned a SwellPro waterproof drone and was VERY unimpressed with it, aside from its huge size.

Yesterday's flight was successful and as usual no issues due to prefight checks, etc... just would like to grab a 4k/60fps model that might lend itself to flying over the water..

Here are a few screen shots of the type of flying I plan to do... this was not a paid gig.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-26 6.59.31 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-26 6.59.31 AM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot 2023-01-26 6.59.16 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-26 6.59.16 AM.png
    4 MB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot 2023-01-26 6.59.06 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-26 6.59.06 AM.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Wind and the word mini may not be a good mix for what you describe.
Yes. That's what I'm here for - figuring out the best convo of investment, waterproofing, and model of DJI product OR another one that you all think is a better fit.

Check with @Phantomrain.org for information on wet suits for virtually any DJI drone

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I think the Best Set up is the Air 2S with the Wet Suit and the Rescue Jacket.

The Wet Suit will Protect you from the pouring rain an salt spray.
The Rescue Jacket will allow you a safe an Secure way of reaching up to grab the drone to get it back in the Boat as well as protecting it from sinking to the depths.

Screenshot 09-26-2020 14.21.14.jpg

Check out Phantomrain.org for all of our adventures with the Air 2S .
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water

I think the Best Set up is the Air 2S with the Wet Suit and the Rescue Jacket.

The Wet Suit will Protect you from the pouring rain an salt spray.
The Rescue Jacket will allow you a safe an Secure way of reaching up to grab the drone to get it back in the Boat as well as protecting it from sinking to the depths.

View attachment 159923

Check out Phantomrain.org for all of our adventures with the Air 2S .
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water
Thank you for chiming in - what's your experience with this setup as far as being able to fly into the wind as far as highest wind speed it can handle?

It's not that I intend to fly into 20+ mph wind, would just like to know what you've experienced.

There is a "used good" one on amazon for 660 with one battery and controller. That is a perfect price point for me to jump in on.

And 500 on ebay for a fly more.. DJI Air 2S Fly More Combo Drone Quadcopter - Grey (CP.MA.00000346.01) for sale online | eBay

This one on sale that you found is not an air 2S but an Air 2 so be careful with that.

This is the entire setup with the Air 2 in action in the Wind and both the Air 2 and Air 2S have been excellent flying over the water with heavy winds.

Reactions: zeusfl
This one on sale that you found is not an air 2S but an Air 2 so be careful with that.

This is the entire setup with the Air 2 in action in the Wind and both the Air 2 and Air 2S have been excellent flying over the water with heavy winds.

Ah! Thank you for pointing that out. I knew there had to be something up with that 500 dollar price. The whole point here is to upgrade to the best camera for a reasonable price point.. looks like the 2S has a much better sensor.

My Mavic 3 will do 20mph with ease and I think it can be fitted with a wet suit from phantomrain and I think he may also sell landing gear for water such that it won't sink even if it goes down.

Reactions: rickmurray1989
What are the downsides to going with the Mini 3 pro? Not asking because I am ignoring advice from you all. Wondering what puts the 2s or the Mavic 3 over the line of being better than the Mini 3 pro.. there are so many things to wrap your head around here.. I guess wind resistance with the wetsuits/water landing things attached are it? Looking for a little confirmation before hitting the buy button on a Air 2S

downsides to going with the Mini 3 pro
Wind would be better battled with an aircraft that weighs more than 250 to 300 grams and has bigger motors and swinging bigger props.
Just simple physics. I had the first mini when it was released and got rid of it very soon after discovering its shortcomings. I would not take another one even if it was FREE.

Got it. Okay the mini is out in all forms.. I thank you for all your advice.

A local friend has a Power Egg and is trying to convince me that it's the perfect craft for this venture. Of course he also has a NEW in box Wizard kit, with an extra battery, apparently he bought 2 a couple months ago for the same kind of business and the partner he wanted to work with ended up having a very bad car accident, which he hasn't recovered from yet.

The offer is meet up w/ him, try it out for a day out on the water, and if I want it he'll let it go for 750. He's a good friend of 20 years, and I just happened to mention that I was looking to get into his industry. When I say local, I mean within 3 hours, so he was excited to hear, since we of course are not in competing areas..

What do you think about that? I do like the design and think that the water proofing looks adequate AND the slight bonus of it being a hand held camera is nice too. I haven't looked into how the cameras compare, as I know 4k cameras can differ.

Any thoughts on that one? Looking to place an order for something by next Friday.

Just found this.. same price. Might just order, test them both out and keep the winner. I'm mostly concerned about the Power Egg having to have a clear shield over the camera.. can't imagine that helps image quality..

• Love
I think that is the golden ticket , great drone , good price and proven track record though out. and not having to worry about a $2500 Dumpter flight offers better sleep at night. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the water, an sleep nice.

Reactions: zeusfl
I think that is the golden ticket , great drone , good price and proven track record though out. and not having to worry about a $2500 Dumpter flight offers better sleep at night. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the water, an sleep nice.
Which one is the golden ticket? DJI or Power Egg ? Does the housing not cause any problem with the video ?

Which one is the golden ticket? DJI or Power Egg ? Does the housing not cause any problem with the video ?
The Air 2S is Legendary status for that price you found on ebay , Used all over the world from Tesla Solar labs to the NFL training camps to the Swiss Railways , where as the Power egg is a capable toy.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

the $1000 cap kind of limits your options, especially if you want to log a lot of minutes when you fly.

sounds like the Air 2S is in your wheelhouse. Better in the wind, apparently, than any Mini. You can find a FMC for under $1000

https://www.adorama.com/us1622565.html

DJI goes a little over your limit:

Buy DJI Air 2S (Refurbished Unit) - DJI Store

(that's about the same price at Drone Nerds)

I've ordered from all three places. They would all give me confidence although the shipping fro Adorama is the slowest

NewEgg seems to have the lowest price, and they are a great online source:

DJI Air 2S

Thank you. I grabbed one from the ebay link, with the 2 year warranty, I will rarely need more than 1 battery, I think, these are just going to be quick short jobs.... planning to be on site an hour or less, record for 20-30 mins and then call it quits.

Might pickup a second used battery just in case..

one from the ebay
Air2 S ?
Regardless of what you grabbed, one battery seldom keeps everyone happy.
You might see something you want to get some additional pictures of while your out doing your required task that doesn’t pertain to work stuff?
Glad you got it solved and good luck with the new adventure!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada