DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Going to Mexico March 2022 - does the Mavic PRO 2 come with me or stay home?

Lokinator

Reactions
Hi

Hope all is well. The forum has never let me down and thank you.

I am leaving for Mexico for family vacation at the end of March to Cancun Mexico. Thinking I want to take my MP2 .......I do have my 107 but this is just for pleasure. I have looked it up and a few say you cant fly in Mexico unless ur a MX citizen?? I went to the Bahamas and had to preregister last year but overall no problem - understanding that is not Mx.

Any idea should it stay or should it go???

Thanks
Bob

As of 2021 no drones are allowed to be brought into Mexico for any reason. Also you may not fly a drone anywhere in Mexico if you are not a citizen of Mexico. If you Google “Bringing a drone into Mexico on vacation” you will get the full story.

As with any other subject involving “laws” in Mexico, it will depend on where in Mexico and which side of the bed the law enforcement folks got up on that particular day. I have recently been in Sonoyta and Puerto Penasco and not had any issues. The Sonoyta trip was an off road race that had several L.E. individuals present and two drones in the air around them. My view on Mexico? I tend to ask myself if I can afford to live without what someone there decides I shouldn’t have.
I‘ve not visited the area you mentioned, so I can’t help there.

Reactions: basyok
Thank you very much Starz. The document link you provided is pretty clear about recreational flying in Mexico.
I too will be heading into Mexico next month, to Rosarito on the coast of Mexico's Baja California peninsula.
Given that I will be flying an MA2 recreationally I think this item from the document is pretty clear ...
  • Micro UAV: UAVs in this category weigh 2 kilograms (4.4 pounds) or less. Micro UAVs can be flown without authorization from the AA, but if used for commercial activities they should have third party liability insurance, among other conditions. They can be flown up to 400 feet above ground level and no more than 1,500 feet from the operator within the visual line of sight.
Needless to say it might be good to have this document handy as well when you're there.

Some reading material.
That website is maintained by volunteers. The information isn't complete and it's not official. Here's what they say about non-citizens flying drones in Mexico.

Foreign Operators​

Contact the AFAC for specific rules and regulations.

As of 2021 no drones are allowed to be brought into Mexico for any reason. Also you may not fly a drone anywhere in Mexico if you are not a citizen of Mexico. If you Google “Bringing a drone into Mexico on vacation” you will get the full story.
"As of 2021 no drones are allowed to be brought into Mexico for any reason."

Do you have an official source for that?

Google will definitely turns up lots of un-official sites, but I've found nothing authoritative. And I found nothing in the AFAC regulations about a drone ban.

I am going to keep looking...I havent seen anything one way or the other that tells me definitivley. I am also going to contact the resort. I am not looking to fly it into "sacred" areas I was thinking it would be mostly overwater or from a sailboat. Maybe for the shark dive.....I am going to contact them Monday and will let you know what I find out

Getting into hot water in another country is a waay different matter. Brittney Griner found out the hard way when she brought a no-no into Russia. Some people in the US are above the law in a lot of ways. But once your past the border, you loose your stature, fast. I'm going to Mexico next month and would love to bring my mini2, but it will be staying home. Personally, I wish drones in Mexico were allowed, its a beautiful place. Good luck if you manage to get your wishes.

Smart advice. I think I am going to leave it at home. I fly both rec and professionally and although the footage is nice lugging it setting it, worrying about it etc I think I might just pass and leave it to the GO pro this time. Its almost like working on vacation....screw it I convinced myself it stays LOL!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929