DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Golden Hour Fly-throughs... CC's WELCOME!

Dan AISCF

Reactions
Site
www.aiscforlando.com
[EDITED TO ADD MEMBER SUGGESTIONS]

So, very recently decided to add a Mavic Air to our little fleet. Wanted it primarily as a tiny backup, that could get through tight areas, to add an extra element to client shoots. Sad thing is the dynamic range in the evening is nothing like on our bigger drones (specifically the Phantom 4 Pro). BUT, it could just be me and my minimal knowledge of this drone, so I'm still fiddling with it, needless to say. Anyway, thought I'd share this "fly-through" vid, filmed in Orlando during sunset.

Didn't colorgrade any, though... straight out of the camera, but would love some thoughts/suggestions (other than "COLOR GRADE IT", hahaha). How is the sound design? Mood envoking? Trying to get this little guy dialed in before using it for clients :) Thanks

Last edited:
1st off let me say I enjoyed your video. A couple of things that did catch my eye. One was the props(or the props shadow) in the video. The second was when the video jumped I wasn’t sure if that was on purpose or gimbal stuttering, it threw me. But like I said I liked the video especially the proximity flying.
Blue skies from SoCal

Reactions: Dan AISCF and DDS
I thought the fly throughs were great . Like the one backwards through the gap in the trees. I am extra sensitive to the bird sound effects because I’m working on a project with the same bird soundtrack you use in the beginning. Maybe just me but I would maybe turn the bird and bug soundtrack down a few notches.

1st off let me say I enjoyed your video. A couple of things that did catch my eye. One was the props(or the props shadow) in the video. The second was when the video jumped I wasn’t sure if that was on purpose or gimbal stuttering, it threw me. But like I said I liked the video especially the proximity flying.
Blue skies from SoCal

Thanks for taking the time out to watch the vid. In regards to the prop shadow, could you please give me a timestamp? My old eyes aren't what they used to be. I thought I had the camera facing down enough, except in the 1st section with the trees where I was hoping to look up enough to get some sun flare. In regards to the blinking, I actually added that to break up the monotony of the scene, flying over the Lake sign to the pier. Might be better just to remove it altogether, as I see it's not as smooth at it looks in the original source vid on my PC. I do appreciate the feedback. cc's can only make me a better operator and editor! Sending blue skies back at you from sunny Florida :)

I thought the fly throughs were great . Like the one backwards through the gap in the trees. I am extra sensitive to the bird sound effects because I’m working on a project with the same bird soundtrack you use in the beginning. Maybe just me but I would maybe turn the bird and bug soundtrack down a few notches.
Thanks hactick for your insight. Sorry about the Bird/bug track. I'll down the db's a bit. I appreciate the feedback. Will you be showing your project when done? I'd love to check it out.

[EDITED TO ADD MEMBER SUGGESTIONS]

So, very recently decided to add a Mavic Air to our little fleet. Wanted it primarily as a tiny backup, that could get through tight areas, to add an extra element to client shoots. Sad thing is the dynamic range in the evening is nothing like on our bigger drones (specifically the Phantom 4 Pro). BUT, it could just be me and my minimal knowledge of this drone, so I'm still fiddling with it, needless to say. Anyway, thought I'd share this "fly-through" vid, filmed in Orlando during sunset.

Didn't colorgrade any, though... straight out of the camera, but would love some thoughts/suggestions (other than "COLOR GRADE IT", hahaha). How is the sound design? Mood envoking? Trying to get this little guy dialed in before using it for clients :) Thanks

I liked every sequence except the first one because of the extreme flare from flying into the sun. Nice sound track. The shot of the couple walking on the boardwalk, a bit off center for the subject disturbed me a bit. Very scary to do that kind of flying through obstacles. You are braver than me.

Reactions: Dan AISCF
I liked every sequence except the first one because of the extreme flare from flying into the sun. Nice sound track. The shot of the couple walking on the boardwalk, a bit off center for the subject disturbed me a bit. Very scary to do that kind of flying through obstacles. You are braver than me.

Thanks for watching Dale, I appreciate it. Maybe if I color-grade the vid in the future, I can tone down some of that sun. I actually, for some reason, really wanted to capture its blinding intensity. That vision might not have translated too well, lol. For the couple, I might zoom a bit then move center in DaVinci or Premiere. I was trying to capture a lot in that shot (People, Bridge, Forground tree and Pier). I do appreciate the suggestions! In re: to the obstacles, from day 1 when I got my 1st Phantom 4, I always tried to "cut it close", but realized with a drone that size (and price), I wasn't going to cut it. With that go-through mentality, pushing the Air through tight spaces has been awesome. As I get more proficient, I intend to get better and more complex flythrough's... maybe hahaha. Thanks again for the cc's.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Overall, well done. A few clips were underexposed.
I appreciate you watching. I agree about the under exposed. I REALLY stuck to the Filter/Framerate/ISO/Shutter speed template for sure. I was a bit scared to mess with the ISO and Shutter, as I really wanted to capture some of the shots in my mind, one take. Now that I have them, I'll be doing more golden hour shoots and modifying those settings to see what actually works. I should invest in a field monitor that will read SD cards, so I can view footage on-site and adjust from there. Thanks for the cc's...

I appreciate you watching. I agree about the under exposed. I REALLY stuck to the Filter/Framerate/ISO/Shutter speed template for sure. I was a bit scared to mess with the ISO and Shutter, as I really wanted to capture some of the shots in my mind, one take. Now that I have them, I'll be doing more golden hour shoots and modifying those settings to see what actually works. I should invest in a field monitor that will read SD cards, so I can view footage on-site and adjust from there. Thanks for the cc's...
If you really like flirting with near crashes, maybe Skydio2 would be ideal for your work! Also, I believe that the Mavic 2 Pro has side sensors. (I don't own one but will have one soon). Regarding the off-center couple walking on there boardwalk, I'd do a key-framed zoom if that is possible in your software- I can do it in Premiere. Another thought- if you like star-burst effects, there are star-burst filters available for still photography but I'm not sure about their availability for Mavic Air.

Reactions: Dan AISCF
Great video! Golden hour is fantastic shooting time. The fly throughs look great and I agree with the comment on the off-center couple. But depending on your editing software that can be fixed post-shooting.

Not sure you really need a field monitor- just a laptop with SD card reader slot to open the files and view them on the run.

Not sure you really need a field monitor- just a laptop with SD card reader slot to open the files and view them on the run.
Lol, didn't even think of that. DOH. I have an Elitebook which fits right in my bag. Will do. Thanks for joggin' my memory, hahaha

Great video! Golden hour is fantastic shooting time. The fly throughs look great and I agree with the comment on the off-center couple. But depending on your editing software that can be fixed post-shooting.
Thank you much. I might take it through Davinci and fix it up some. Thumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fara