DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good interaction with ranger today

Skerrabrae

Reactions
Was flying in a South Florida water management recreation area today where it is clear to fly in Kittyhawk and clear to fly in the sectional charts. There are posted rules preventing camping, motorized recreational vehicles, etc. but nothing about launching and landing UAS. I've flown here a few times without issue.

Today, on the ride out, I saw a district officer truck patrolling the perimeter but thought nothing of it since I was fairly confident I can fly there. I parked, walked the dirt path a mile out to my takeoff location and began my flight. When I was making my landing approach on battery number 2, I heard the distinct sound of a vehicle pulling up behind me and immediately predicted was what about to occur. I remained facing my MA2 as I brought it down for a hand catch but I knew, even without looking, that it was that same district officer truck I noted on the way in.

I turned after a successful landing and saw the officer exiting the truck while asking if I worked for the water management district. Of course I do not, so I replied and asked if I was allowed to fly here. He stated this area is for passive recreational use only such as hiking and cycling but no flights, paragliders, or drones are allowed. I mentioned I did ensure to check this location with charts and an FAA approved app but I was cooperative and packed up my gear. He was amicable about it and said he would check into it. He asked if I walked way out there and even offered me a ride back since it was a long walk. I got the impression he was being nice and not just trying to get me out.

About halfway through my walk back to my car, I hear the truck pull up behind me and stop. He gets out and asked if that was a "UAS". I replied it was and that I hold a part 107 and registered it with the FAA. He said he investigated the rules and let me know I was ok to fly there. We actually had a good 15 minute talk about drones, FAA airspace regs, and then to the history of the park and the wildlife within.

He was a really nice guy and I appreciated that he determined to research the rules and find me again to update me. Typically people tend to report the negative experiences so I wanted to relate a positive experience. From me, I give a 5 star review to South Florida water management districts.:cool:

Thanks for posting your positive experience. I’m sure thier are way more than negative but folks just don't post about those. ?

Good to hear. I've had a lot of dealings with rangers in the US and the majority are okay or even better than okay. And that's generally true of wildlife staff anywhere. The exceptions are in the national parks that get many millions of visitors - lots of whom are dumb - so they get jaded.

Reactions: Prop Wash
Was flying in a South Florida water management recreation area today where it is clear to fly in Kittyhawk and clear to fly in the sectional charts. There are posted rules preventing camping, motorized recreational vehicles, etc. but nothing about launching and landing UAS. I've flown here a few times without issue.

Today, on the ride out, I saw a district officer truck patrolling the perimeter but thought nothing of it since I was fairly confident I can fly there. I parked, walked the dirt path a mile out to my takeoff location and began my flight. When I was making my landing approach on battery number 2, I heard the distinct sound of a vehicle pulling up behind me and immediately predicted was what about to occur. I remained facing my MA2 as I brought it down for a hand catch but I knew, even without looking, that it was that same district officer truck I noted on the way in.

I turned after a successful landing and saw the officer exiting the truck while asking if I worked for the water management district. Of course I do not, so I replied and asked if I was allowed to fly here. He stated this area is for passive recreational use only such as hiking and cycling but no flights, paragliders, or drones are allowed. I mentioned I did ensure to check this location with charts and an FAA approved app but I was cooperative and packed up my gear. He was amicable about it and said he would check into it. He asked if I walked way out there and even offered me a ride back since it was a long walk. I got the impression he was being nice and not just trying to get me out.

About halfway through my walk back to my car, I hear the truck pull up behind me and stop. He gets out and asked if that was a "UAS". I replied it was and that I hold a part 107 and registered it with the FAA. He said he investigated the rules and let me know I was ok to fly there. We actually had a good 15 minute talk about drones, FAA airspace regs, and then to the history of the park and the wildlife within.

He was a really nice guy and I appreciated that he determined to research the rules and find me again to update me. Typically people tend to report the negative experiences so I wanted to relate a positive experience. From me, I give a 5 star review to South Florida water management districts.:cool:
Well done. I always offer to stop flying even if i am sure I have the right to fly. It sticks in the craw sometimes, but gives the hobby a good name I think.

Rangers are people too! If people are not typically A-holes to them, they won't be back. They are simply doing their job.

Having good conversations goes a long way to helping ALL droners. You don't even have to be flying to walk up to one and start a conversation about the area and such. At some point you can mention you fly drones and get their perspective. I try and talk to ones I find in National Parks, just for some good conversation and talking about wildlife and such. They DO appreciate it, as too many times they are made out to be the Bad Guys, when in reality it's the jerks who create the issues. I live near the Smoky Mountains and go fairly often (don't fly) to see the elk, bears, deer, and other wild animals we do have. They have signage posted everywhere to not get within 50 YARDS of the wildlife. Yet, what do I see on EVERY SINGLE trip. Folks trying to get that hugging the animals neck selfie or their young children running around screaming within 10-20 yards. I cringe every time - yet this is what these folks deal with on a DAILY basis.

Most really so appreciate people talking to them to learn more and even thanking them for what they go along way. So, give it try.

Great to know as Im cerified and have flown down here without issue. Never approached by a ranger though.

Agree with the common sense approach and good to hear of the courteous conversation on both sides. As both a drone pilot and law enforcement officer I can appreciate how this was handled by each of you. And tlswift58-just live on the other side of the mountains from you. We definitely have some scenic wonders to fly in around here!

Just to clarify, even if FAA says it's OK to fly, that just means you can be in the air over there. Local regs can still restrict takeoff, landing and operating on that property.

Passive recreation? If they mean no external power, paragliding would qualify.

If it is considered a wildlife refuge there may be notes on the sectional about recommended minimum overflight rules. As long as you weren't harassing animals you're OK. But if someone decides that the recommended 2000 ft note is a rule, that's going to open a can of worms. There's also the possibility for restrictions on ground operations, which seem to be all over everywhere and not subject to FAA regulation. That will probably change over time as more pilots get BVLOS waivers.

Great to hear that, I had a similar experience at Red Rock Canyon... the ranger just watched me for a while, I kept watching my remote and kept an eye on the drone... and told the ranger I would return the drone, and then I could speak with him... he said "no need, sir, I'm just watching" I told him no problem... finished my canyon run and came back. I landed and was changing the battery. He asked what kind of license is required to operate my drone. I told him that I fly Primarily for commercial purposes but that it is pretty easy to register and get qualified to fly for recreational purposes. He asked what kind of "chopper" as he called it, I gave him the model (A2S)... he said well thanks... this looks like something fun for me to do with my son.

Sometimes we think the worst about rangers and other LEO'S who are just doing their jobs.

We all need to be ambassadors for our profession or hobby, there are too many fools ruining things for the the majority of safe and respectful pilots.

There is always more than one side to a story. We hear a LOT about the negative side, but not-so-much regarding the positive side. Thanks for flipping the coin, so-to-speak, to show us there are and can be 'good side' stories out there. As many here alluded to, a lot depends on how we respond to a Park Ranger or other LEOs.

I've been out numerous times over the last month taking drone shots with the Mini 2 for the purposes of a competition. In the course of that I've been approached several times by members of the public. Every encounter was positive and the people were curious and just wanted to ask questions. Even the guy whose dog was jumping up and down barking at the drone (which was about 30ft in the air at the time) laughed and said 'he doesn't know what it is, that's why he's barking'. I think that with the advent of small light drones like the Mini 2 which can be flown in more areas where people are likely to see them are slowly winning the battle, and that the more people get used to them the less they'll feel drones are being used to spy on them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair