DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good morning! A less than Newbie here!

Jeff A

Well Worn Member
Reactions
I believe I joined this forum about 2 1/2 years ago. I was ready to buy a drone at that time but It didn't happen then, as the money I had saved for the project went elsewhere. Well the itch that I had then has not gone away.

I have never flown a drone or an RC Aircraft. I did race 1/8th Scale gas powered road racing cars for a few years. I am a retired Professional Pilot which may help me somewhat in this new venture considering the regulatory and airspace issues that Drone Pilots are facing in the near future.

So, at this time I am considering either a Mavic Air or a Mavic Pro or Platinum. I'm hoping there are those here that have experience with both and can share their history with me. All of the online and YouTube comparisons seems to favor the Air. My concern with the Air is ACTUAL range and run time. Also, with the Air communicating via Wi-Fi, I worry about interference. Some of you may chuckle about me having these concerns but I have no experience to draw on here. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Fire away!

Start reading in those sections then ask what you want in which ever model you decide on in that section.
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

So, at this time I am considering either a Mavic Air or a Mavic Pro or Platinum. I'm hoping there are those here that have experience with both and can share their history with me. All of the online and YouTube comparisons seems to favor the Air. My concern with the Air is ACTUAL range and run time. Also, with the Air communicating via Wi-Fi, I worry about interference. Some of you may chuckle about me having these concerns but I have no experience to draw on here. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Fire away!
Welcome to the forum (belated).
Most favor the Mavic Air (MA) over the Mavic Pro (MP) because of price and price alone. Quality is nearly equal (if not better) because the MA records at a higher bit rate.

A few things to consider; if you are in an urban environment then WIFI plays a big part in signal strength but its not a colossal factor. Flight time is the other big one. The MA just doesn't give you enough flight time for complex maneuvers like time-lapse videos and way-points maneuvers. Extra batteries do not help in this case.

So . . . if you can handle the price of the MP or MPP then that's the way I'd go. You get everything the MA can offer but better range, connectivity, stability and flight time. Mind you; the MA is no slouch! It is more than a capable bird and can do what you need it to do (if) the above mentioned qualities and not necessary. Hope this helps pilot . . .

Hi Effects - I was in your situation a little over a year ago and looked at the Air, Pro, and Platinum and ending up getting the Mavic 2 Pro. It is my very first drone. It is probably more than I need but I wanted to get something I could grow into in terms of photography potential and it flys like a dream. It has Occusync 2, which is probably the most solid connection and most resistance to interference. The last things I considered was that I only get to live once and I couldn't take it with me so why not enjoy it to the max. Of course, it depends on if you can afford it and in my case being able to convince my wife that I “needed” it.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum (belated).
Most favor the Mavic Air (MA) over the Mavic Pro (MP) because of price and price alone. Quality is nearly equal (if not better) because the MA records at a higher bit rate.

A few things to consider; if you are in an urban environment then WIFI plays a big part in signal strength but its not a colossal factor. Flight time is the other big one. The MA just doesn't give you enough flight time for complex maneuvers like time-lapse videos and way-points maneuvers. Extra batteries do not help in this case.

So . . . if you can handle the price of the MP or MPP then that's the way I'd go. You get everything the MA can offer but better range, connectivity, stability and flight time. Mind you; the MA is no slouch! It is more than a capable bird and can do what you need it to do (if) the above mentioned qualities and not necessary. Hope this helps pilot . . .
The Urban environment is exactly what I worry about. Comcast Wi-Fi is in abundance here as I am just south of Sacramento. I have an AT&T Cell tower 750' from my front door. That cell tower is in a park where I would like to practice. I have no idea of the effect these two things would have on the Mavic Air.

I'm looking at refurbed MP's and the price is pretty close to the Air. There is little difference so I have taken price out of the equation. Thank you fore your thoughts on this.

Hi Effects - I was in your situation a little over a year ago and looked at the Air, Pro, and Platinum and ending up getting the Mavic 2 Pro. It is my very first drone. It is probably more than I need but I wanted to get something I could grow into in terms of photography potential and it flys like a dream. It has Occusync 2, which is probably the most solid connection and most resistance to interference. The last things I considered was that I only get to live once and I couldn't take it with me so why not enjoy it to the max. Of course, it depends on if you can afford it and in my case being able to convince my wife that I “needed” it.

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for your input on these drones. I have one problem with what you have said. What does the word "Need" have anything to do with this conversation?? :)

Thank you for your input on these drones. I have one problem with what you have said. What does the word "Need" have anything to do with this conversation?? :)
it could have something to do with the fact,that at our age we" need" something to do other than sitting at home listening to the wife and watching womans programs on the TV ,and not forgetting we are all big kids at heart

Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.... from another old gaseous emission.
@Effects ... whatever you get DL the full DJI manual, most are 60-70 pages and read it... might even aid your decision process.
I have downloaded the manuals for the Air & the Pro and have been reading. Thank you for your reply.

Like everyone has said, the Air is a very capable drone and you will enjoy flying it for sure. The biggest down side is flight time. Forget the official "up to 21 minutes" flight time - you will start with up to 16 minutes (max) and get progressively lower as your batteries age.

we should have our own forum entitled
Old we may be, passed it we are not
all i know is that flying my drones keeps me active and is a great excuse to get out in the fresh air and we have the one commodity working people don't have and that is time to do it

Welcome to the forum.
I'm in my retirement countdown and this is my retirement plan (along with dancing). Aerial imagery for fun and profit. Right now it's fun but I hope to make some profit as well.
I did get my Part 107 Certification which meant I was learning something entirely new. The learning hasn't stopped: regulation changes/interpretations, image recording and editing, practicing flying skills, etc.
Have fun.

Reactions: Camino Ken
So, at this time I am considering either a Mavic Air or a Mavic Pro or Platinum. I'm hoping there are those here that have experience with both and can share their history with me.
I own both. I'd keep the Mavic Air if I could only have one. The build quality is better and interference is a non-issue for most people.

As for comparing them, you can compare the major specs side-by-side here:

DJI Consumer Drone Comparison

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada