DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good morning, good afternoon and goodnight!

MAVIC_2_YTS

Reactions
...Depending on where in the world you are located.

New Mavic 2 Pro owner located in beautiful Northern Ontario (Canada). For those who also live in Ontario, no, I don't mean Barrie, Orillia, Etc... Timmins to be exact. I stumbled across this site while "googling" for drone information and as a first time drone owner (just picked up a Mavic 2 Pro a couple of days ago) thought this would be a great place to hangout.

I've come to learn that as of June 1st, 2019 it's a great time to be a drone owner in Canada (heavy on the sarcasm) with the introduction of new laws, regulations and licensing. With that in mind, my M2P is still "mint in box"

1566573444920.png

as I take time to familiarize myself with said laws, regulations and obtain my license which I was able to complete yesterday (shout out to my trusty co-pilot Google).

1566573482594.png

I'm still waiting on Amazon and Best Buy to deliver a few more goodies (Fly More Kit, Landing Pad, Etc...) before I peel back the cellophane on the M2P but in the meantime I am trying to learn as much as I can to prepare me for my maiden voyage. To date, my photography / videography tools have been an assortment of Nikon bodies & glass, as well as the GoPro family for Waterfowl hunting footage. The M2P will be a great addition to the arsenal while also offering a fun / hobby while not in the field.

I look forward to participating in the forum discussions soon, as well as sharing my first flight experience / photo's.

Talk soon!

Welcome to the forum MAVIC_2_YTS

But this
" I'm still waiting on Amazon and Best Buy to deliver a few more goodies (Fly More Kit, Landing Pad, Etc...) before I peel back the cellophane on the M2P "

o_O I couldn't do that, it would be in the air at the first opportunity ;)
Get it out of that box and have some fun.

Welcome to the forum MAVIC_2_YTS

But this
" I'm still waiting on Amazon and Best Buy to deliver a few more goodies (Fly More Kit, Landing Pad, Etc...) before I peel back the cellophane on the M2P "

o_O I couldn't do that, it would be in the air at the first opportunity ;)
Get it out of that box and have some fun.

I know, I know, it's a weird OCD (CDO?) thing where I always need to wait until I heave everything, and then start unboxing Etc... Most of it came in today, and I just gave the Canadian government another $5 to register the drone (requirement) The last pieces should be here sometime Monday so weather depending Monday afternoon / Tuesday should see the first flight.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Reactions: MAVIC_2_YTS
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

...Depending on where in the world you are located.

New Mavic 2 Pro owner located in beautiful Northern Ontario (Canada). For those who also live in Ontario, no, I don't mean Barrie, Orillia, Etc... Timmins to be exact. I stumbled across this site while "googling" for drone information and as a first time drone owner (just picked up a Mavic 2 Pro a couple of days ago) thought this would be a great place to hangout.

I've come to learn that as of June 1st, 2019 it's a great time to be a drone owner in Canada (heavy on the sarcasm) with the introduction of new laws, regulations and licensing. With that in mind, my M2P is still "mint in box"

View attachment 80197

as I take time to familiarize myself with said laws, regulations and obtain my license which I was able to complete yesterday (shout out to my trusty co-pilot Google).

View attachment 80198

I'm still waiting on Amazon and Best Buy to deliver a few more goodies (Fly More Kit, Landing Pad, Etc...) before I peel back the cellophane on the M2P but in the meantime I am trying to learn as much as I can to prepare me for my maiden voyage. To date, my photography / videography tools have been an assortment of Nikon bodies & glass, as well as the GoPro family for Waterfowl hunting footage. The M2P will be a great addition to the arsenal while also offering a fun / hobby while not in the field.

I look forward to participating in the forum discussions soon, as well as sharing my first flight experience / photo's.

Talk soon!
Hey there, fellow Ontarian here. Looked at getting my drone license last week. It looked intimidating!!! Was it as difficult as people are saying? Did you pre study much..... or could the required answers be found quickly online!?!?

Hey there, fellow Ontarian here. Looked at getting my drone license last week. It looked intimidating!!! Was it as difficult as people are saying? Did you pre study much..... or could the required answers be found quickly online!?!?

Hey! What part of Ontario are you reporting in from? I took the test with zero prior knowledge and or studying. I figured it was $10, and if I failed, then I'd do some studying. Actually, I take a bit of that back, I did familiarize myself with the Canadian laws (so I had a basic understanding of what I was allowed to do found here and here).

The test itself, to be honest, is not RPAS centric, I get the impression that we went from "we currently have nothing, but we need to do something" and that "something" was very few RPAS related questions, and for the rest we'll use actual content from pilot school. There were questions related to cloud formations, icing at high altitudes, radio communications with ATC, how aircraft wings work to loading aircraft and centre of gravity affecting stability, Etc...

There are 35 questions and I scored a 97.14% (one question wrong). The RPAS related questions themselves were either 1) straightforward and required common sense or 2) Referenced from the generally available Canadian laws

For the rest, I was able to get by with Google.

Lastly, I will say that there is a youtube'r by the name of Don Joyce "Don Drones On" and he has study material on his channel for both basic (found here) and advanced (found here) certification.

Oh, and don't forget, after you give the government your $10 for the license, you also then have to give them another $5 (per drone) to register them.

I hope that helps!

I challenged the test this morning and passed. I guess there’s must be more than one test. The questions were extreme in my opinion. There were no questions about icing or cloud formations or how aircraft wings work. The questions went deep into aviation! I was stressed after answering the first question! Then by half way through I was thinking I didn’t have a chance of passing but I did.....yippee! Took me around 25 of the allotted 90 minutes to complete. Nice to fly legally again. BTW I registered my Mavic Air as well. Placed the registration # and my ph# on the AC. I think I’m a roll model citizen now ;).

I challenged the test this morning and passed. I guess there’s must be more than one test. The questions were extreme in my opinion. There were no questions about icing or cloud formations or how aircraft wings work. The questions went deep into aviation! I was stressed after answering the first question! Then by half way through I was thinking I didn’t have a chance of passing but I did.....yippee! Took me around 25 of the allotted 90 minutes to complete. Nice to fly legally again. BTW I registered my Mavic Air as well. Placed the registration # and my ph# on the AC. I think I’m a roll model citizen now ;).

Congrats!!!

From what I read, there is a bank of questions available so the test while at some point would be duplicated, the likelihood is minimal.

For fun, I challenged the Advanced exam, I didn't even finish in time let alone pass. That one I will have to study for.

yep my first question was concerning a map (confusing as hell) of the controlled airspace around Pearson in Toronto. I panicked

Well, the last of gear arrived today! I might actually take the plunge tonight and peal the cellophane off!

- Mavic 2 Pro
- Mavic 2 Fly More Kit
- Mavic 2 Intelligent Flight Battery
- Mavic 2 Low-Noise Propellers
- Sandisk Extreme Plus 32GB Memory Cards
- iPhone 8 Plus
- STARTRC Drone Landing Pad
- Transport Canada Drone Pilots License
- Transport Canada Drone Registration

I know the Fly More Kit comes with 2 extra batteries, and the low noise propellers, however at time of order I was undecided on the kit and ordered a battery and propellers separelty. Upon further review, I decided to go with the kit only to find it was to late to cancel my order. Rather than return it for a refund I thought what's the harm in one more battery and an extra et of propellers and decided to keep them.

I have a work provided iPhone 6S with a battery health that only allows it to charge to 63% and dies very quickly with any extended app use. With that in mind, I wanted something with a bigger screen, better battery life and ultimately a better camera that I could also use when not attached to the controller. I was able to grab a new iPhone 8 Plus for next to nothing with my current bundled provider so went that route.

For apps, I'm running the DJI Go 4, Drone Pilot Canada, Live ATC, Flightradar24 & UAV Forecast.

FullSizeRender.jpeg
IMG_0009.jpg

Reactions: Stealthbomber
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo