DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good News

tca

Reactions
A couple of months ago I posted on here about Drone flying in my 55+ gated golf community and that the board was looking at it.....

Some of the residents "did not" want drone flying at all. One person wanted NO drones allowed at all....another one wanted the drone fliers to call the office "every time" there were going to be flying and give them their name....FAA ID number....home / cell number and where you would be flying....another suggested that the drone fliers give the office a card with their name....address....phone number.....FAA ID number.........after a few meeting it was decide that drone fliers would give the office... a card to have on file with their name....address....home / cell number.....FAA ID number .........when this was decided the attorney for the development advised the board that they could do this BUT he was NOT going to put it in the by-laws because he didn't think it was LEGAL to make the drone fliers [ home owners] do that.

All the drone flyers said "this is fair".

So this is where it is at now.....

A couple of months ago I posted on here about Drone flying in my 55+ gated golf community and that the board was looking at it.....

Some of the residents "did not" want drone flying at all. One person wanted NO drones allowed at all....another one wanted the drone fliers to call the office "every time" there were going to be flying and give them their name....FAA ID number....home / cell number and where you would be flying....another suggested that the drone fliers give the office a card with their name....address....phone number.....FAA ID number.........after a few meeting it was decide that drone fliers would give the office... a card to have on file with their name....address....home / cell number.....FAA ID number .........when this was decided the attorney for the development advised the board that they could do this BUT he was NOT going to put it in the by-laws because he didn't think it was LEGAL to make the drone fliers [ home owners] do that.

Why not suggest a coffee morning for people to come around and have a look at your Drones and how they work ... Show off some of your photography & videos ... It might be that you'll get a bit more support if your neighbours get to see what all the fuss is about.

Why not suggest a coffee morning for people to come around and have a look at your Drones and how they work ... Show off some of your photography & videos ... It might be that you'll get a bit more support if your neighbours get to see what all the fuss is about.
...and reassure them that you drone is not “spying” on them.

You can give them that information if you’d like but only the FAA can regulate flight operations in the US. It sounds like your community is attempting to regulate lawful flight operations, an authority reserved solely for the FAA.

You could write a letter to the FAA explaining what they are trying to do and they’ll straighten them out.

What State are you in? This is flat out illegal here under Utah State law and others,

Reactions: Drgnfli
You can give them that information if you’d like but only the FAA can regulate flight operations in the US. It sounds like your community is attempting to regulate lawful flight operations, an authority reserved solely for the FAA.

You could write a letter to the FAA explaining what they are trying to do and they’ll straighten them out.

What State are you in? This is flat out illegal here under Utah State law and others,
If the problem is solved why stir the pot? Seems nothing to be gained. Don’t really think FAA will contact them, do you?

If the problem is solved why stir the pot? Seems nothing to be gained. Don’t really think FAA will contact them, do you?

Well if the problem is solved then the problem is solved and it’s up to the OP if that’s the case.

I personally don’t take too kindly to the idea of someone imposing on my right to liberty or even the idea that someone thought they could do so without the specific authority to do so. Especially if it’s illegal to do so.

Maybe I’m just being Utahn but there are enough rules and regulations in place by the federal government. We don’t need more from neighborhood associations.

Well if the problem is solved then the problem is solved and it’s up to the OP if that’s the case.

I personally don’t take too kindly to the idea of someone imposing on my right to liberty or even the idea that someone thought they could do so without the specific authority to do so. Especially if it’s illegal to do so.

Maybe I’m just being Utahn but there are enough rules and regulations in place by the federal government. We don’t need more from neighborhood associations.
I fully concur with all you say. Of course, HOAs are known before home purchase and like deed restrictions HOA membership usually travels with the property. It’s the reason I bought in a small community with no HOA.
That said, OP has one to which he is legally bound.

I live in a golf community with an HOA. I went on the golf course when no one was on it and shot video of a few holes from the tee box to the green, and then showed the results to some of my golfer friends. They all love them and thought that they should be on the community website. Now I have buy-in from the golf pro and the starter, and even the head of maintenance clears his people off if I need to shoot a hole. The community gets nice video, and I add to my portfolio. And I have fun doing it. Everybody wins.

I live in a golf community with an HOA. I went on the golf course when no one was on it and shot video of a few holes from the tee box to the green, and then showed the results to some of my golfer friends. They all love them and thought that they should be on the community website. Now I have buy-in from the golf pro and the starter, and even the head of maintenance clears his people off if I need to shoot a hole. The community gets nice video, and I add to my portfolio. And I have fun doing it. Everybody wins.

Sounds like a win-win situation to me!

I fully concur with all you say. Of course, HOAs are known before home purchase and like deed restrictions HOA membership usually travels with the property. It’s the reason I bought in a small community with no HOA.
That said, OP has one to which he is legally bound.
I disagree, give them an inch they take a mile. It appears to me they are trying to do something they are not allowed to do especially if it is not in their bylaws their attorney stated that clearly so obviously it's not something they can actually enforce and if they do try I would think at best they can only enforce a takeoff or Landing within their HOA area. All of that being said it is a good policy to try to get along so if you're okay giving them the information I see no problem with that and anything else you can do to further good harmony with your fellow neighbor's.

Meanwhile these same people are posting everything about themselves on social media including where they are on vacation while there homes are vacant.
My guess is that the over 55 community doesn't post like younger America does. And I don't mean that disparagingly. I've been a member of that community much longer than I like to admit.

Reactions: Former Member
My guess is that the over 55 community doesn't post like younger America does. And I don't mean that disparagingly. I've been a member of that community much longer than I like to admit.
Yea, wonder when schools will have course in blogging during K-12, like the ones I had to take to learn proper ways to write business letters, etc. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: CJH92474
I live in an association and I've made the association president aware of the fact that I have a drone. But that's where it stopped. It's none of the association board's business if or when I'm flying my drone. The association doesn't control ANY of the airspace above the association property. Period.

Mark

Here we go again...the OP reports on a good outcome through negotiation and the same old hotheads pop up.

I'll repeat...it's not all about acting to the limit of the law, consideration for others will go a long way and help stop the laws becoming more strict.
It also makes the world a nicer place to live in.

Here we go again...the OP reports on a good outcome through negotiation and the same old hotheads pop up.

I'll repeat...it's not all about acting to the limit of the law, consideration for others will go a long way and help stop the laws becoming more strict.
It also makes the world a nicer place to live in.

Ok, I'm one of the "hotheads!" People (non-droners) need to learn more about our hobby! Most only complain &/or call the cops but they don't know anything about the FAA controlling the sky - they just want drone flying STOPPED. I've had cops & mean neighbors stop by attempting to tell me what I can & can't do but they don't know diddly. These folks need to catch up to the twenty-first century!...IMHO...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike