DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good places to fly near Harrisburg, PA

MartinM308

Reactions
Anyone know any good spots from Harrisburg to York? New to the area and looking for come cool footage.

Railroad bridge over the Susquehanna just north of Hbg. ...longest stone arch bridge in the world! and always a lot of trains there. Good launch point at parking lot on west side of river, H.C. Schrauder riverfront access park (south side of Marysville Borough Maintenance Bldg on S Main St. I get up to Hbg. occasionally, would like to hear some good spots you have found to fly

Railroad bridge over the Susquehanna just north of Hbg. ...longest stone arch bridge in the world! and always a lot of trains there. Good launch point at parking lot on west side of river, H.C. Schrauder riverfront access park (south side of Marysville Borough Maintenance Bldg on S Main St. I get up to Hbg. occasionally, would like to hear some good spots you have found to fly

Really?

I've driven by that bridge a gazillion times. Are you going to be in the Harrisburg area Saturday? I'm going to be up that way and would love to go around and get some footage but I'm still a bit skittish about what's safe and fair game and what one should stay away from. I'd love if you could make yourself available and we go round and about a bit and get some footage.

Really?

I've driven by that bridge a gazillion times. Are you going to be in the Harrisburg area Saturday? I'm going to be up that way and would love to go around and get some footage but I'm still a bit skittish about what's safe and fair game and what one should stay away from. I'd love if you could make yourself available and we go round and about a bit and get some footage.
Hey man thanks for reply, wish I could get there, but I live outta state and just visit Hbg. to see family. If you have time, the RR bridge is definitely worth it, easy launch from the park and the trains move slowly on the bridge. You will have visual line-of-sight the whole way.
Wish i could've been there a few weeks ago w all that big ice on the river! Lemme know if you find some other scenic flying spots around Hbg.

I'm not local to this area either. (New Yorker). I work in Maryland but have spent quite a few years in Harrisburg working for Bell Atlantic(Verizon), the Commonwealth at (Commonwealth Technology Center) CTC, Keystone Bldg etc all technology related. I have a few good friends here and visit them on occasion. I'm reading the local rules, laws etc of the area and will likely go out on Sunday to get some footage. It's icy here and rain is expected so I'm just relaxing today. I'll share what I'm able to photograph here with you. When you say the park, which Park?? City Island or another that's close by?

This RR bridge is the Rockville bridge about 15min north of Harrisburg...park is on west side of river, just south of Marysville on S. Main St. (Google doesn't come up w an exact address)...sign says... 'H.C. Schrauder' park but its really just a parking lot on the northwest side of the train bridge. (Park is beside the Marysville sewer plant haha)
No restrictions that I know of, and the only people parked there are usually just checking out the bridge as well. A little circuitous drive to get there from I-81 but well worth it!
City Island seems like another great scenic spot for shots of city. Its 3 miles from Capital City airport (smaller GA airport) so you may have to call them just to give a heads up.

Attachments

• park.png
    park.png
    6.6 MB · Views: 26
  • hbg train.png
    hbg train.png
    7.9 MB · Views: 25
Thank you for this thread discussion. I am interested in hearing your thoughts on places to fly near Harrisburg now that the revised Regs have been passed. Does that change your thoughts on the Rockville Bridge? What other spots are good for flying in the area?

Hi Minengnr, sorry for delay. Visited Hbg over Thanksgiving and hit some of the same spots that are still clear of airspace. Enola train yard on the west shore is pretty interesting. Also the river area up by the town of Dauphin, as well as Hershey area with the old factory and the park. Unfortunately some of the more interesting areas of Harrisburg are within airspace if you are flying commercially, namely the Capitol and City Island.

Hi Minengnr, sorry for delay. Visited Hbg over Thanksgiving and hit some of the same spots that are still clear of airspace. Enola train yard on the west shore is pretty interesting. Also the river area up by the town of Dauphin, as well as Hershey area with the old factory and the park. Unfortunately some of the more interesting areas of Harrisburg are within airspace if you are flying commercially, namely the Capitol and City Island.
Thank you for the reply. I will look at those on the chart.
I am totally new to this, so I am often left with more questions than when I began. When you mention that the Capitol and City Island are within airspace for flying commercially, are you implying that they are restricted flying under 107 but not restricted under 101? Like I said, I am very new, however it seems to me that so much more local space is opened up flying under 107 than 101, or do I have the two confused?
Thanks.

Those areas seemed less restrictive under 101, but now the DJI software is catching up on its automatic Lockouts if you're too close.
The rules are definitely confusing, but the difference between 107 or 101 regs seem to be merging to common ground. Usually i will try to fly under 107 even if just for fun, it seemed like the 101 gave too much latitude, such as "don't fly near airports", but now the 101 rules specifically state restrictions of flying in B,C,D and E etc.
Have been using the AirMap app which quickly shows the restrictions where you are, and you can toggle between 101 and 107.
So when flying for fun i just try to pick spots outside of airspace so there's no stress. Problem lately is on occasion i'm a few miles from a tiny un-controlled airstrip and the DJI software locks me out. Then the Un-lock fails, so perhaps the software needs updating in the drone

Those areas seemed less restrictive under 101, but now the DJI software is catching up on its automatic Lockouts if you're too close.
The rules are definitely confusing, but the difference between 107 or 101 regs seem to be merging to common ground. Usually i will try to fly under 107 even if just for fun, it seemed like the 101 gave too much latitude, such as "don't fly near airports", but now the 101 rules specifically state restrictions of flying in B,C,D and E etc.
Have been using the AirMap app which quickly shows the restrictions where you are, and you can toggle between 101 and 107.
So when flying for fun i just try to pick spots outside of airspace so there's no stress. Problem lately is on occasion i'm a few miles from a tiny un-controlled airstrip and the DJI software locks me out. Then the Un-lock fails, so perhaps the software needs updating in the drone
Thank you again. You have been a real help.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent