DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Google Maps Comes and goes..

photo2be

Reactions
Hi, very strange problem with Google Maps. Sometimes the map is shown, sometimes not, but just the Mini and Homepoint, like the attached pic. I'm sure I haven't changed any settings.
I have tried different locations... What do I do wrong or is it the Mini and/or Huawei Pad? Sometimes the map is there, then the next time its not... Does the MINI has to be in the air? Doesn't work when its just idling with props on.
Help is really needed... Thanx from Sweden

Attachments

• google.jpg
    google.jpg
    871.4 KB · Views: 39
internet from the Mini itself? My Huawei Pad has no internet. Just WiFI
You would have to set up a hotspot from a cell phone to get an internet connection. This is what I do using an iPad.

Reactions: DJayI and RMS001
I use the Huawei pad not a phone and it works on and off. Thats my issue..
If you are at your house and the tablet is connected to wi-fi do the maps work then?

if you can connect to the internet, click on map, bottom left that will fill your screen then on the right side you have the option to click on google map, usually the bottom icon, that will then load the map onto your device but don't forget it will only last for 30 days then you have to load it again

The maps do come from the internet somehow to your tablet, so likely via WiFi when you are close enough. The drone & controller do not have WiFi so the maps on your tablet come thru WiFi when you're close enough or have loaded the local map. You can also, away from home, use your cell phone as a hotspot for the tablet so it can get the maps.

The map connection is controlled entirely by the tablet. The tablet summons the relevant map section from Google. It uses either it’t internal gps and an internet connection to Google, or a cached map downloaded from Google from the last time the tablet was connected to Google and the DJI control app was launched.

Reactions: DJayI
The map connection is controlled entirely by the tablet. The tablet summons the relevant map section from Google.
DJI hasn't used Google maps for several years.
The maps come from a different (presumably cheaper) supplier .
It uses either it’t internal gps and an internet connection
GPS cannot produce maps.
The maps can only come from an internet connection ... no internet = no maps.
The GPS just provides the location data to show on the map.

DJI hasn't used Google maps for several years.
The maps come from a different (presumably cheaper) supplier .
the map shown on my tablet using my mini 2 is a google map but I have to choose it by clicking on the map to bring it up full screen then on right side of screen click on the bottom icon, (satellite map) google map then appears

Last edited:
fellows now i,m confused

I saw that coming, ever since you said:

Reading all replies after that, I knew.... I just knew none were explaining to your understanding.

In a nutshell:

Your tablet does have internet - it connects to the internet through WiFi.
What you meant is that your tablet does not have internet via cellular/mobile.

The way it works is:

You start the the FLY app.
FLY gets your location from the GPS radio in the tablet.
If, and only if, you are connected to the internet (in your case, it has to be connected to a WiFi to get to the internet) FLY then downloads the map of your current location.
If your tablet is connected to your home WiFi, the map loads.
If your tablet is connected to any WiFi, be it a friends house/business or the local coffee shop etc , the map loads.
If you're 'out in the field' -away from any Wifi access points/hotspots- the map will not load!

Guys, it does not matter if the map comes from Google or Mapbox... obviously the OP needs to start from the beginning and learn his way forward.

Good Luck!

Reactions: DJayI and Gagey52
I saw that coming, ever since you said:

Reading all replies after that, I knew.... I just knew none were explaining to your understanding.

In a nutshell:

Your tablet does have internet - it connects to the internet through WiFi.
What you meant is that your tablet does not have internet via cellular/mobile.

The way it works is:

You start the the FLY app.
FLY gets your location from the GPS radio in the tablet.
If, and only if, you are connected to the internet (in your case, it has to be connected to a WiFi to get to the internet) FLY then downloads the map of your current location.
If your tablet is connected to your home WiFi, the map loads.
If your tablet is connected to any WiFi, be it a friends house/business or the local coffee shop etc , the map loads.
If you're 'out in the field' -away from any Wifi access points/hotspots- the map will not load!

Guys, it does not matter if the map comes from Google or Mapbox... obviously the OP needs to start from the beginning and learn his way forward.

Good Luck!
Hi! now I understand.... the issue now is how to get my "non internet" Huawei to display Google Map via my Iphone 8+ if I just keep the Iphone close to the Huawei.... if its possible...

Reactions: Tiger64
Hi! now I understand.... the issue now is how to get my "non internet" Huawei to display Google Map via my Iphone 8+ if I just keep the Iphone close to the Huawei.... if its possible...

Just to clarify, you don't have a "non-internet" Huawei... you have a "non-cellular" Huawei (and I do too).

In the field, you can use your iPhone 8+ to create a WiFi "hotspot" on the phone, connect your Huawei to that WiFi, and have internet access through the phone.

Edited: Sorry I can't tell you how to create a hotspot on an iPhone, I've hardly ever even touched one... been an Android nut ever since the Motorola Droid 1, and after the first time I ever rooted an Android phone, I was hooked!

Last edited:
Reactions: DJayI
Just to clarify, you don't have a "non-internet" Huawei... you have a "non-cellular" Huawei (and I do too).

In the field, you can use your iPhone 8+ to create a WiFi "hotspot" on the phone, connect your Huawei to that WiFi, and have internet access through the phone.

Edited: Sorry I can't tell you how to create a hotspot on an iPhone, I've hardly ever even touched one... been an Android nut ever since the Motorola Droid 1.
Thanx Umanbean! I'm closing in...maybe someone here can explain... if not I have to ask a teenager.... :)

Reactions: umanbean
You misunderstood my statement. GPS and a tablet internet connection is required for real time map updates. You can only have static maps without an internet connection

To get any map data, the tablet must at some point be connected to the internet to get a cached version of the google map of interest.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka