DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Google Pixel 2 XL Not Bright Enough for Flying! Suggestions?

Reactions
Hi everyone, brand new pilot here, took my drone out for it's first flight yesterday.....a little nerve wracking, but fun!! Anyway, I learned my cell phone screen is simply not bright enough. Since I've wanted an iPad Mini for some time, would this be a good option for flying my Mavic Pro? Do I need to buy the LTE version since it has a GPS enabled chip?

Or, I've considered buy a new to me Samsung Galaxy Note ten Plus phone and using that...

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions, I appreciate the assistance!

PS, after about 15 minutes of flying, I took a picture of the neighborhood....

org_2e1df34715f7321c_1590351514000.jpg

Last edited:
Hi everyone, brand new pilot here, took my drone out for it's first flight yesterday.....a little nerve wracking, but fun!!
Anyway, I learned my cell phone screen is simply not bright enough. Since I've wanted an iPad Mini for some time, would this be a good option for flying my Mavic Pro?
Or, I've considered buy a new to me Samsung Galaxy Note ten Plus phone and using that...
Unless you pay for a high brightness screen, most phones and tablets are not bright enough if used in full sunlight.
Your phone's specs show a brightness of 483 nits.
You can compare that with other popular phones and tablets here:
An iPad Mini is not going to be an improvement in brightness.
It helps to find somewhere shady to fly from, like a tree or wall.
Do I need to buy the LTE version since it has a GPS enabled chip?
The drone has it's own GPS receiver which is what it uses for flight.
You don't need GPS in your tablet.

A black shade with the screen angled properly works wonders. You can buy them but I made mine out of lightweight black foamcore (available in art supply stores) I’ll try to find the plans that I posted, but it is basically a three sided 11 inch, rectangular tube (bottom open for access to your screen) The shade has a slight downward tilt, relative to the screen, so that the reflection you see is the black inside of the tube. This tilt is essential to the design.

Otherwise, I had great improvement using an Ipad and wearing a black tshirt. My rig is teathered and when operating, the angle of the screen reflects my black shirt, a great improvement in visibility, especially when standing in shade, as others have mentioned.

Otherwise, glad you are with us and enjoying the drone!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3