DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Googles living up to DJI's reputation. I'm having flashbacks!

Capt Drone

Reactions
I've owned a Mavic Pro for just over a year. It has been a mixed bag of pleasure and frustration. Mostly frustration. After going through DJI repair purgatory a couple of times and later Drone Nerds (never did really did get my camera issue resolved) for repair I finally put it back in it's box and forgot about it 8 months ago. I purchased the Mavic for fun. Stress is not fun. The Mavic simply isn't reliable enough to be very enjoyable.

Fast forward to last week....I learn about the new Goggles RE and decide THATS FOR ME! The goggles get to me in a hurry via Amazon and Drone World. I bring my Mavic up to date with all firmware updates. Get the latest addition of DJI Assistant 2 and DJI Go. Did a few flights on the Mavic and everything is fine.

Okay, to pair the Goggles. Very criptic instructions in the box and all kinds of contradicting information online on how to do this. Actually NONE of it works. I was able to visit with Drone World briefly on the phone. They said there was evidently issues with binding the thing wirelessly and they were in hopes of another firmware update soon. They said to try wired, with DJI assistant. Well, that doesn't work either. DJI Assistant sees the goggles but calls it an unknown device. Others have reported this too. (I am running the latest edition)

One of the worst things about DJI is a fresh firmware every other day. You really don't know if you should do them or not? If things are working alright you hesitate to do the update. But then something happens and pilots say to update or else. The DJI experience is generally a nightmare.

So.. after two days of trying everything I'm having a flashback, my Amazon return label has been printed. Going back for a refund. NO MORE DJI EVER!!

I strongly recommend to anyone considering a Mavic to reconsider. When you have a problem (and you will) Repairs are very time consuming, frustrating and expensive. That is if you have something to repair. Mine spent 3 days in a tree one time before I could even find it. Turned out to be outside radio interference from a distant cell tower. (design flaw) but No warranty.

I don't need this aggravation in my life and I'll just bet you don't either? I'll find something enjoyable to do with my time and money. This isn't it.

I've owned a Mavic Pro for just over a year. It has been a mixed bag of pleasure and frustration. Mostly frustration. After going through DJI repair purgatory a couple of times and later Drone Nerds (never did really did get my camera issue resolved) for repair I finally put it back in it's box and forgot about it 8 months ago. I purchased the Mavic for fun. Stress is not fun. The Mavic simply isn't reliable enough to be very enjoyable.

Fast forward to last week....I learn about the new Goggles RE and decide THATS FOR ME! The goggles get to me in a hurry via Amazon and Drone World. I bring my Mavic up to date with all firmware updates. Get the latest addition of DJI Assistant 2 and DJI Go. Did a few flights on the Mavic and everything is fine.

Okay, to pair the Goggles. Very criptic instructions in the box and all kinds of contradicting information online on how to do this. Actually NONE of it works. I was able to visit with Drone World briefly on the phone. They said there was evidently issues with binding the thing wirelessly and they were in hopes of another firmware update soon. They said to try wired, with DJI assistant. Well, that doesn't work either. DJI Assistant sees the goggles but calls it an unknown device. Others have reported this too. (I am running the latest edition)

One of the worst things about DJI is a fresh firmware every other day. You really don't know if you should do them or not? If things are working alright you hesitate to do the update. But then something happens and pilots say to update or else. The DJI experience is generally a nightmare.

So.. after two days of trying everything I'm having a flashback, my Amazon return label has been printed. Going back for a refund. NO MORE DJI EVER!!

I strongly recommend to anyone considering a Mavic to reconsider. When you have a problem (and you will) Repairs are very time consuming, frustrating and expensive. That is if you have something to repair. Mine spent 3 days in a tree one time before I could even find it. Turned out to be outside radio interference from a distant cell tower. (design flaw) but No warranty.

I don't need this aggravation in my life and I'll just bet you don't either? I'll find something enjoyable to do with my time and money. This isn't it.

I hit on firmware that worked fine several months ago and will never update again.
My mavic world is peaceful.
I have flown standing less than 100 feet from many different cell tower many times and have never had a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clinton1

Why did it spend 3 days in a tree and it's the fault of a cell tower? Dji repair a couple of times?
So far not even a hiccup for me. perhaps the problem is with you and not the drone.

My Mavic spent 3 days in a tree because it took that long to find it. Some of the good people right here helped me locate it. It took an extra long time because it totally lost power and fell from 340 feet. The tree broke its' fall but it didn't land exactly where it was first thought. I uploaded lots of information to a very capable gentleman here that analysed the data with special equipment. (you can look back at my post and find all of this documented with his findings) Yes, it was my proximity to the cell tower that knocked it out that time. I was about 1/2 mile from the tower when the incident happened. Just to prove the findings, I recreated the exact flight but at just a slightly higher altitude. It happened again but at the very first sign of things going wrong I altered course and was able to pickup signal again.

If you have a good one, don't mess with the software for sure. Mine has been a lemon and I'm just sick of working with lousy support and shipping my Mavic back and forth only to have a problem again. I had forgotten how frustrating it was until I got the goggles. Yep, right out of the box they wouldn't work. No body really interested in helping me. Just not going down this road anymore.

Update: Just got a call from a nice man a Drone World. He tried to help me pair the goggles. Nope. "Well, looks like you got a bad pair? You will have to send in for exchange". Think I will stay with my plan to send it for refund. See what I mean? Maybe take up fishing?

Why did it spend 3 days in a tree and it's the fault of a cell tower? Dji repair a couple of times?
So far not even a hiccup for me. perhaps the problem is with you and not the drone.

No troubles here either????

You already bought the original dji googles in an earlier post and returned them because you said you liked the 3 dollar VR from walmart better. Why did you think the RE goggles would be different? If you were not happy with the original gogles, why would you be happy with the re?

Reactions: Mavic 57 and jotto
You already bought the original dji googles in an earlier post and returned them because you said you liked the 3 dollar VR from walmart better. Why did you think the RE goggles would be different? If you were not happy with the original gogles, why would you be happy with the re?
That's a good question

To me the mavic is just another model plane! Mine has worked perfectly for over a year! But I'm always expecting it not to work. If it works it's a bonus. fpv is a joy compared to my usual immersion RC stuff. I just don't get how people's mavics can end up in trees??

Been flying one form of drone or another over the last 4 years.

Many KM and long distance flights later, not once has my quad ended up in a tree.

Sounds like Pilot error to me.

As far as the lack of instructions on how to bind the goggles (but not the binding issue it self), not sure how you can get this wrong. I never read any instructions and had it linked in no time.

Not saying your pair is not defective, because it sounds like it is... But mine worked fine every step of the way...

The issue with the focus however, thats a whole other topic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada