DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got a multi-charger, but not sure if it is earthed correctly

deevo101

Reactions
So I bought this charger a couple weeks ago and wanted to check that it is safe before use. Please see attached photos.

There is a black wire soldered to the earth pin inside the case, but the other end is soldered to a point on the PCB marked “G”. All my past chargers have had this end of the earth wire attached to the chassis.

Furthermore, i can’t seem to get any resistance reading with a multimeter between any point on the chassis and the earth pin (as in it is showing extremely high resistance).

Not sure whether I need to modify the wiring before using this thing to make sure it is safe?4DD4D207-0204-4CC4-B5AC-797DA7779275.jpeg4A519117-1A19-4210-A418-5B249272B36B.jpeg4CAB50AB-9C07-45C5-9678-DE4FA2CFA60F.jpeg

I think that I would add a redundant earth connection, just to be safe - if you have the means. You've gone this far, and are feeling uneasy. Best to set your mind at ease !

So I bought this charger a couple weeks ago and wanted to check that it is safe before use. Please see attached photos.

There is a black wire soldered to the earth pin inside the case, but the other end is soldered to a point on the PCB marked “G”. All my past chargers have had this end of the earth wire attached to the chassis.

Furthermore, i can’t seem to get any resistance reading with a multimeter between any point on the chassis and the earth pin (as in it is showing extremely high resistance).

Not sure whether I need to modify the wiring before using this thing to make sure it is safe?View attachment 63884View attachment 63885View attachment 63886
have you checked to see if there are three wires coming from the plug ie earth positive and negative a lot of modern electronics dont need an earth they are earthed internally

I think that I would add a redundant earth connection, just to be safe - if you have the means. You've gone this far, and are feeling uneasy. Best to set your mind at ease !

Thanks! Should I just add another wire from earth pin to the chassis and leave the existing “earth” wire where it is? Or should I unsolder the existing wire attached to the earth pin?

Thanks! Should I just add another wire from earth pin to the chassis and leave the existing “earth” wire where it is? Or should I unsolder the existing wire attached to the earth pin?
I would leave the original, and add one from the pin to the chassis.

I have an aftermarket charger for my bird too. Now you've got me concerned enough to open mine, and check the quality of the connections. I never really consider that there may be shoddy workmanship in devices like this. Thank you for your post. Rarely is there an issue, but occasionally we see shortcuts in manufacture like this.
I recently started enhancing my home with interactive smart devices. I have TV's, lights, security cameras, and outlets that are all controlled by the same ecosystem. I had a close call with one of the smart outlets. It was supposedly rated for 15 amps, but would trip at around 8 amps. The contacts welded themselves on. I replaced with UL listed, proven units. Lesson learned !

Quick summary, I've learned to be wary of "off-brand" electronics offered at incredible prices on Amazon. I would rather pay a little more for products that are tested by the UL and have traceable results. My Mavic (aftermarket) charger came with the bird. I purchased a refurbed unit for significant savings. Everything is in excellent condition. Normally, I would purchase new, but I couldn't pass up the deal after lengthy conversation with the seller.

@Hosewater - Glad my post provided some food for thought. I know what you mean, but as long as these chargers are earthed and provide a current that is accepted by the battery, they are great. Just make a point to only run them when and where you can consciously monitor them in case anything goes wrong (flaring capacitors etc). Having 3 flat batteries back to 90% within 40 minutes is pretty cool. The stock charger takes an hour to get one battery to the same level.

Reactions: Hosewater
We had the same problem with the first blue Yx multi charger for the original Mavic, basically metal case with 230 volts inside not connected to earth. The manufacturer picked this fault up and rectified it for future units.

Unfortunately they connected the earth to the case, but failed to remove the paint and use a star washer to ensure a low earth resistance.

Personally I would make sure the case is earthed, if not earth it. I would not want to grip one of these if the case had become "live". Check from the plug end to the case that there is earth continuity of very low resistance.

Live long, fly often !

Need to insure if you add a ground to not inadvertently make a ground loop back. This can cause a lot of noise on the DC voltage and delivered small spikes to the battery if not properly filtered.

I think mine is on an even slower boat from China heading west around India, through the Suez Canal, across the Atlantic and around South America!!!

I hope someone can post explicit directions on how to check for ground and how to probably and properly fix it since I'm no electrical engineer or even electrician! I understand the "star washer" to breach any paint/whatever between the metal casing and the proposed ground but that's about all.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR