DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got a warning I've never seen before

JD914

Reactions
"braking now return sticks to midpoint first"
Anyone know what that means it what is is about? Thanks in advance.

I get this regularly when I fly in the evening hours and the obstacle avoidance is affected by low light. Once it brakes you can't move anywhere until you let both sticks go back to the neutral midpoint. Once you do that you are back in control until it does it again. Usually when I am flying in that low light situation I just shut off all of the obstacle avoidance. You just have to be careful when you turn that off because you have no protection at that point.

I was flying in broad day light and over water with no obstacles in sight. I got the warning after I finished photographing this lighthouse on the way back which you see there are no obstacles.
71e072e3fd69f96ccb0d5187618d5c20.jpg

Reactions: Former Member
Were you flying toward the sun? That can sometimes trigger the front sensors.

Reactions: JD914
Water can cause it as well. Another one is if you are flying close to the ground or an obstacle that might move. A couple of weekends ago I had it happen while flying over sunflower fields. The wind was causing them to sway and all that movement triggered the obstacle avoidance just like it does when I am close to the water.

Actually I was flying away from the sun but the river was very reflective so that might be it.
That could do it too. If you continue to run into that issue while flying, you'll need to disable obstacle avoidance to work around it.

DJI-GO-Enable-Obstacle-Avoidance.jpg

Great photo, and awesome little lighthouse! I love it.

No input on the warning - sorry.

I was flying in broad day light and over water with no obstacles in sight. I got the warning after I finished photographing this lighthouse on the way back which you see there are no obstacles.
That light house looks very familiar

Reactions: Mac and Vilco
Super cool lighthouse!

I haven't seen the "braking now return sticks to midpoint first" but have seen a few obstacle avoidance warnings in flights that were nonsense.
I generally don't fly within 100ft of anything and was about 500 ft or more from anything when I received the obstacle avoidance warnings and the mavic braked to a stop.
Was able to continue without any more problems.
Sun was off 45 degrees or more.
Disabling the avoidance until DJI fixes this. Surely should not have to.
Is this tech too tech?
I certainly understand the babysitting and glad I still have a option to turn it off.
Hope that option continues.
Obviously DJI wants happy customers but I feel like a beta tester way too often.
That said it is the apex of the choices .And i'm still very impressed with with the tech.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada