DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got attacked by a swarm of bees today!

Zee_Bass

Reactions
I was playing around with RTH accuracy just a bit ago while my daughter swam and I realized the MA2 had a swarm of bees around it! Has anyone experienced this before?

I did not expect to see what I did once my drone landed.

Here are a few pics. After reviewing the SD card you can clearly see them swarming it. I didn't know what to do but land asap.

Attachments

• 20200524_171324.jpg
    20200524_171324.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,093
  • 20200524_170354.jpg
    20200524_170354.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,062
  • 20200524_172324.jpg
    20200524_172324.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 979
Last edited:
I was playing around with RTH accuracy just a bit ago while my daughter swam and I realized the MA2 had a swarm of bees around it! Has anyone experienced this before?

Here are a few pics. After reviewing the SD card you can clearly see them swarming it. I didn't no what to do but land asap.
There is a YT video of a guy using a Mavic Pro to destroy a wasp nest under the eaves of his two story house, by using it as a chainsaw, to cut into, and slowly chew up the hive! Works well!

They were probably yellow jackets. They swarm and attack if agitated for any reason.

Reactions: Earthman

Here are a few pics. After reviewing the SD card you can clearly see them swarming it. I didn't no what to do but land asap.
Tell them to buzz off! Can you post a photo of the swarm? Quite a tale for your Pilot’s Log! Lucky that it was not a bird strike.

Sad because honey bees are in danger of extinction, and their role in ecology is actually massive. However, they must have perceived your Air2 as a threat. Wasps on the other hand, start your motors!!!!

Maybe use the same exit plan as for raptors: zoom straight up for 50-100 feet. Then sport mode to haul arse out of there. I would also take the long way home, just in case the bees or wasps were chasing the drone. Honey bees are indeed wonderful but I wouldn't invite them to my house.

That is amazing! Looks like those props took some damage. Did you replace them? A new meaning to prop wash. LOL

I keep both bees and a Mavik 2. Pretty sure they are not honey bees because bees just don't behave like that. I'd love to inspect the debris on the hull. I strongly suspect another insect, an actual bee swarm won't attack anything, their minds are on other things and they become very docile. Also, a bit too high up and you would have seen them from where you were. Might conceivably have been a queen mating flight that you accidently flew into, it's the right time of year, but unlikely. If it was a mating flight, then, provided you didn't mince the queen herself up, all you killed were drones, real six legged type drones. Only boys; no ladies hurt in making this film and it all ended happily. In the hive they are still talking about it as a drone attack though. If you did kill the queen, the girls back home will raise another one in a couple of weeks but the boys went home home disappointed.

Reactions: Drgnfli
I keep both bees and a Mavik 2. Pretty sure they are not honey bees because bees just don't behave like that. I'd love to inspect the debris on the hull. I strongly suspect another insect, an actual bee swarm won't attack anything, their minds are on other things and they become very docile. Also, a bit too high up and you would have seen them from where you were. Might conceivably have been a queen mating flight that you accidently flew into, it's the right time of year, but unlikely. If it was a mating flight, then, provided you didn't mince the queen herself up, all you killed were drones, real six legged type drones. Only boys; no ladies hurt in making this film and it all ended happily. In the hive they are still talking about it as a drone attack though. If you did kill the queen, the girls back home will raise another one in a couple of weeks but the boys went home home disappointed.
After I landed I ended up seeing a bunch of bees all over my drive way. I swept them up in a pile. I read somewhere else about the possibility of mating.

Attachments

• 20200524_171301.jpg
    20200524_171301.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 201
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000