DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got hit by my Mavic blades

stratos

Reactions
Hello fellow pilots.

So this weekend I was doing some test flight in my underground parking. This parkinng is 8 lvls below street level, so yes I was flying in ATTI mode.

So I got cocky and was distracted my quad drifted towards me an caught me by surprise (full user stupidity on my part).

I reacted by instinct and put my hand to protect myself, I fully hit the forward left blade with my hand and with the combination of the sensors the quad back up and then I landed it.

Yes it was full contact with blades at hovering speed. Aftermath: paninfull burn sensation a bit of swelling and very small superficial cuts. I honestly dont think the blades can deeply cut skin nor chop someones finger off, else mine would have definitely been cut, it was full contact with the blades.

Now the blades didnt chip nor break so all in all it was a painful learning experience.

Dont try it yourselves I was an idiot.

f931bca1dce96da6c81d60c888df8104.jpg

Reactions: AresSK
Wow! I thought it would have been worse, never had the guts to try it to find out though LOL!

My little Husban 107c does more damage to skin than that!

Yup I know ! I was expecting some skin lacerations but nope. The small cuts didnt even bled.

As the blade spin too fast it was more a burning sensation due to the friction, couple of hours later swelling and pain completely gone.

Sorry your point is?

Just wanted to show anyone curious what would happen if you get your finger touching those blades at hovering speeds.

Try it yourself and post the pic, that would be manly !!!
Their point is, that's nothing and you got lucky. At that rpm you're really lucky for not getting a nice big bruise and a few cuts and bleeding.

Reactions: jointeffort
Their point is, that's nothing and you got lucky. At that rpm you're really lucky for not getting a nice big bruise and a few cuts and bleeding.

Got full contact mate. Not sure if the blades could do more damage TBH. I have some spare blades would be good to do some test wil things like celery or even some sausages :)

20170327_122815.jpg It all depends on where contact is made and angle of strike. The tips are more likely to cut than closer to the blade root.
This is the results of a mishap with a phantom 12 months ago. I'll be carrying this reminder about complacency for some time. It was a good learning experience for my students though

Reactions: Airweek and stratos
I've been hit twice and I bled both times. Once I flew into my chest when I first got it and once I flew it inside and it started to drift, controller inputs did nothing so I tried to stick my finger on the battery and guide it away from the wall and the motors tried to compensate by spinning faster and caught the tip of my finger. If you think you got full contact and that's the max damage that can happen, go ahead and hover it then stick your finger into the blade...... please post a pic afterwards I'm curious

My dog jumped up to bite my mavic and the prop nailed her lip. A full 5mm cut. It can happen to soft skin

Hello fellow pilots.

So this weekend I was doing some test flight in my underground parking. This parkinng is 8 lvls below street level, so yes I was flying in ATTI mode.

So I got cocky and was distracted my quad drifted towards me an caught me by surprise (full user stupidity on my part).

I reacted by instinct and put my hand to protect myself, I fully hit the forward left blade with my hand and with the combination of the sensors the quad back up and then I landed it.

Yes it was full contact with blades at hovering speed. Aftermath: paninfull burn sensation a bit of swelling and very small superficial cuts. I honestly dont think the blades can deeply cut skin nor chop someones finger off, else mine would have definitely been cut, it was full contact with the blades.

Now the blades didnt chip nor break so all in all it was a painful learning experience.

You're lucky. I, too, did a stupid with my Mavic within 2.5 hours ownership.

Lost a quarter of my left index finger nail, a kitchen knife-like cut on the middle finger. And a bruise like yours on my right hand.

Now imagine a panicked man trying to save the Mavic. Swiping the "Land Now" on the iPhone with blood on it doesn't work well. So you try to lick the blood away while the Mavic is bucking like a bull cuz you grabbed it on the bottom...blocking the sensors.

I survived to share the humbled story. [emoji23]

Lost a quarter of my left index finger nail, a kitchen knife-like cut on the middle finger. And a bruise like yours on my right hand.

Now imagine a panicked man trying to save the Mavic. Swiping the "Land Now" on the iPhone with blood on it doesn't work well. So you try to lick the blood away while the Mavic is bucking like a bull cuz you grabbed it on the bottom...blocking the sensors.

Lol similar story here maiden flight indoors. Small knife cut with a blood blister and bruise for 2 weeks. Gotta laugh.

Reactions: Cutaway
I've been hit twice and I bled both times. Once I flew into my chest when I first got it and once I flew it inside and it started to drift, controller inputs did nothing so I tried to stick my finger on the battery and guide it away from the wall and the motors tried to compensate by spinning faster and caught the tip of my finger. If you think you got full contact and that's the max damage that can happen, go ahead and hover it then stick your finger into the blade...... please post a pic afterwards I'm curious

Yeah probably the chest skins is thinner than the palm of the hand. Well I did stick my finger in the blade and that what it did buddy :D

oh mate that sound terrible!!!! yeah and I can imagine the hand bleeding and we still care more about our quad hahaha

Reactions: Cutaway
Honestly, I've been there. Pretty much the same story. Two fingers one worse than your one not as bad. It bruised and took a month to fade away. My did snap the blade right in the centre where you attach it to the motor.

Hello fellow pilots.

I don't think that will be covered under the new healthcare insurance.

Reactions: stratos
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143