DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got my first drone, the Mavic Pro Plat!, have some questions

Rocky43

Reactions
Question though, it says I can have up to 7km of transmission using Ocusync. However, when I flew in my place, after like 2-300m away, I am losing signal from the drone.

Does antenna placement matter? I took off near a bridge and have structures blocking my clear line of sight with the drone, did not help much even when I gained altitude.

Does antenna placement matter? I took off near a bridge and have structures blocking my clear line of sight with the drone, did not help much even when I gained altitude.
Antenna orientation is important ..... but not as important as having a clear, unobstructed line of sight between the controller and the drone.

There is a lot of information that you will have to go through that will help keep your new fun in good form. Metal may be something to do some research on as it’s something that should be avoided if possible. Most bridges have a bit of that stuff in them.
Read, read, and read some more.
Then have a little fun!

Reactions: TR Ganey
Question though, it says I can have up to 7km of transmission using Ocusync. However, when I flew in my place, after like 2-300m away, I am losing signal from the drone.

As mentioned above, antenna orientation is important. More altitude normally helps as long as there isn't anything between you and the drone. The advertised distance at which they claim these drones will operate is usually only achieved when in a sparsely populated area away from a lot of interference (RFI). They behave a bit like walki-talkies. As long as both of you are on a high place with nothing in between they do great. Put just a small amount of trees or buildings in between and it's not so great. Oh, and be prepared to be bombarded with comments on letting your drone get out of VLOS.

BTW: Welcome and Congrats!

In the right situation with no obstacles, I assure you the MPP can do it. With a new drone, it’s exciting and very tempting to “see what this thing can do.” If we are honest, we’ve all done it. I’ve gone out 3.25 miles with no obstacles between me and my MPP (yes at the expense of VLOS). However, I’ve learned there is no gain in that kind of flight. IF you are into photos, and especially videos, you can’t accomplish any significant work. By the time you get out that far, your weak link is your battery, and you have to immediately start your return. I’ve done it and it doesn’t pay and I’ve learned my lesson.
I stay close, VLOS, and get great footage.

Example: see my Lake Michigan Ice post.

Last edited:
Reactions: strdr
This video explains how to position the remote controller antennas:

As @Meta4 pointed out above, the remote controller signal will be poor or completely blocked if any obstacles come between the Mavic and remote controller. That path must always be clear.

This video explains how to position the remote controller antennas:

As @Meta4 pointed out above, the remote controller signal will be poor or completely blocked if any obstacles come between the Mavic and remote controller. That path must always be clear.

Thanks! I always thought that the Mavic was like a powerful drone, where I could fly back to my home even in built up urban areas hah.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giku