DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got my New Mavic today :-)

hkdman

Reactions
Happy dance time! I received my new Mavic today! Did anyone find it took a long time to get it ready to fly initially? y What I mean by that is that I had to 1) charge all 3 batteries (although I could have just charged one), IMU Calibration, GPS Calibration, 2 Firmware updates, and VPS Calibration! I must admit, I feel like an idiot regarding the VPS Calibration. I downloaded that tool from DJI and for some reason my front sensors were not able to align to the image on the screen. After like 40 minutes of swearing...I realized that I forgot to take off the plastic covers protecting the front VPS during shipping! I know - STUPID! I wish I could claim that this was my first drone - but this is my fourth so you would think I would know better!

Flies really nice though...love it so far! I do find it funny though - I received my drone in 6 days (fly more package) directly from DJI. I looked at Drone World (and a few other sites) and they are trying to get people to pay for the drone even though they won't get their shipments until May (according to Drone World). Who the heck would go through them if they can get it directly through DJI in 6 days!

Uhhhhh. IMU calibration, GPS calibration, and VPS calibration? I must have missed that part of the instruction manual. All I remember is having to wait for the batteries to charge.

Reactions: Scapegoat
Congratulations on receiving your new Mavic Pro !
Sounds like you've done a lot more prep than I did.
I've never calibrated anything yet , not one single thing.
Personally I've charged all 4 smart batteries and the remote battery , updated/upgraded firmware .

Yea, I did battery and rc charge. Then I did firmware update. Then just before flight, did compass calibrate. Nothing since and all good.

Same here. Unless prompted by the app it is unnecessary to calibrate anything but the compass. That should be done if moving the Mavic Pro over 100 miles to a new location to fly. I dont even do that and it fly's rock solid!

Hah! I am a little OCD - so I calibrated everything! To each their own!

Actually not a good practice. Opens a window of opportunity for a bad calibration when the current is fine. Only calibrate or upgrade when the app tells you to. Only exception is flying in a different area (100+ miles away) where you should only calibrate the compass.

Reactions: Slayerstwin
Agreed - I usually don't calibrate anything. The only exception is when I first get the drone. Other than that, I won't calibrate anything except for the compass (and as you pointed only when I am quite a ways away from my current location).

Agreed - I usually don't calibrate anything. The only exception is when I first get the drone. Other than that, I won't calibrate anything except for the compass (and as you pointed only when I am quite a ways away from my current location).

So that means that one should calibrate the compass after getting a new Mavic but before its first flight? I didn't do that and it seems to fly just fine.

Assuming the compass is first calibrated in China, if you don't live near China then isn't it a good idea to calibrate it in your home country when you first receive it?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom