DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got myself a Mavic Air 2. :)

Ben_McPhee

Reactions
So a few days ago, I finally bit the bullet and bought a MA2 in a fly more combo. :)

I am about to undertake a road trip, and I have an Osmo action, as well as the MA2. And between them, I have a 64gb card, and a 128gb card - both Sandisk ExtremePro.

So with the Mavic Air 2, how long would it take to fill up a 64gb card (Assume 4K60 most of the time, and 48mp photos)?

Because I'm considering putting the smaller card in the drone, since there's a higher chance of losing it. And I doubt I'd film more than 1.5 hours a day. 3 hours max (but unlikely).

The plan is to download everything at the end of each day. But I definitely don't want to be filling cards mid flight.

And I have a feeling that with the Osmo Action on my dash doing timelapses, and some vlog style shooting, that it might actually generate the most data.

So which card would you use in which camera?

Firstly welcome aboard and good choice with the MA2.
64gb should see out your three batteries om the MA2. If not there is 8gb on the drone as a back up for the last battery if needed

Firstly welcome aboard and good choice with the MA2.
64gb should see out your three batteries om the MA2. If not there is 8gb on the drone as a back up for the last battery if needed

Thanks. :)

Is that like, if I am shooting takeoff to landing for about 30 minutes? Or are you assuming I'll be selective in what I shoot and maybe shoot half of the flight time?

Reactions: Hauptmann
So a few days ago, I finally bit the bullet and bought a MA2 in a fly more combo. :)

I am about to undertake a road trip, and I have an Osmo action, as well as the MA2. And between them, I have a 64gb card, and a 128gb card - both Sandisk ExtremePro.

So with the Mavic Air 2, how long would it take to fill up a 64gb card (Assume 4K60 most of the time, and 48mp photos)?

Because I'm considering putting the smaller card in the drone, since there's a higher chance of losing it. And I doubt I'd film more than 1.5 hours a day. 3 hours max (but unlikely).

The plan is to download everything at the end of each day. But I definitely don't want to be filling cards mid flight.

And I have a feeling that with the Osmo Action on my dash doing timelapses, and some vlog style shooting, that it might actually generate the most data.

So which card would you use in which camera?
I went out to test new firmware last night had 12 gb left on card 4k zoom 30fps filled the card before battery was 2 3rds done

Welcome to our forum, Ben, from Hauptmann in the friendly skies of Texas!

The MA2 is a terrific machine with a great camera. Hope you got the Fly More kit--you'll appreciate those extra batts. I'd get another 64gb card for your Osmo, since you plan to use it as a dash cam. A few more 8gb cards for your MA2 wouldn't hurt. You should download them, and change them out while you recharge your batts. You also might consider getting Variable Neutral Density filters. Two filters will fill all your needs (you'll probably use only 1, 90% of the time)--much cheaper, more compact, and just as good.

Read the manual (link below), and be conservative at first. Practice using "Find My Drone" (DJI doesn't make it easy). Don't wait until you lose your MA2 before you try to learn under stress in less than ideal conditions. We have over 100,000 members world wide to help you advance as a pilot and photographer. Ask for help when you need it. Share your work when you can.

Thanks for joining!
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Air_2/20200615/Mavic_Air_2_User_Manual_v1.2_en_.pdf

Just a *rough* rule of thumb for 4K60 is 1GB per 2 minutes of video. It can vary depending on a number of things.
Yeah the zoom makes a big difference in new firmware should seen me try to get it working yesterday everything restarted battery changed after 20 min I realised the app wasn't updated!!! Zooms not great if you try to zoom again on edit as its already zoomed same way on drones film but otherwise tried 4k 30fps 20 m away and 30m up trying to read my numberplate all on video , could just read it there 2x zoom wow crystal clear do took it back 30 more then 2x zoom still no problem dropped to 2.7k 30fps another 60 back with 4x zoom still no prob after that still another 2x zoom on 1080p 48fps back 30 and it was grainy but could make it out so new zoom impressed me but check and check again obstacle avoidance has a setting no left or right control mine was automatic on after update this could cause some accidents but gimbal and yaw control smoothess sticks are much smoother depending how u set the thing up but all in a bloody good update nearly on par with pro2zoom for much less££

Hello everyone. I did the same thing: Just got my MA2 this past Monday! I absolutely love it! I didn't get the fly more pack...yet... I plan to buy Select, then use a coupon for 20% off. But I have to wait 15 days. Grrrrrr.

Does anyone know if I need anything other than the basic FAA license? Or do I need a higher pilot license?

Hello everyone. I did the same thing: Just got my MA2 this past Monday! I absolutely love it! I didn't get the fly more pack...yet... I plan to buy Select, then use a coupon for 20% off. But I have to wait 15 days. Grrrrrr.

Does anyone know if I need anything other than the basic FAA license? Or do I need a higher pilot license?

You don''t need any license to fly recreationally. You just need to register your drone. If you intend to fly commercially, you need the FAA Part 107 license.

You don''t need any license to fly recreationally. You just need to register your drone. If you intend to fly commercially, you need the FAA Part 107 license.

Thanks for the fast response! I'm loving this M2Zoom! I hate having to wait 10 days for Select though....so I can get my "Fly More" pack cheaper.

64gb card will do me 6 to 8 battery cycles and I use 1080p most of time !
This! I also started with the same question as the OP about 64 vs 128, and I feel unless you’re looking to recharge batteries multiple times a day, 128gb may be overkill.

If you feel you won’t much time to dump your memory card to another source like your computer throughout the trip, then it doesn’t hurt to have the higher capacity card.

I like the auto caching feature so when I take trips Of 3-4 days with daily flights, I normally only grab the 1080p clips at the end of the day, and I don’t dump the original 4k videoclips until after my trip. And I use a 64gb extreme pro card.

Congratulation in your very well selected MA2. Is an amazing drone. And welcome to the forum.
Looking forward for your travel memories.

I was same no flymore pack 20% voucher no idea when flymore was available lol bought single for 660 or something like that now having to but batteries at 105 quid each lol patience is a virtue I haven't got !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929