DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got Rid Of Mavic Pro 2, Purchased Mini 2

DSR

Reactions
I purchased the Mavic Pro 2 about 3 years ago after hearing about the Hasselblad camera thinking that I got a real steal. I even took and passed the commercial written test scoring 94. I thought the Pro 2 was the greatest until I discovered it wasn't, so I gave it to my nephew. Besides, the FAA was was in the process of requiring a flight plan just to fly my drone, and requiring an ID badge to fly it. The camera never seemed to be as good as it was supposed to be anyway.

I still had the urge to fly, so today I purchased a Mini 2. It's too small to tie a hydrogen bomb to, so the government isn't too worried about it. I don't even have to register it! Can't believe that I got it for $419 either.

Oh yea, does anybody know if I can fly waypoints with the Mini 2?

Last edited:
I purchased the Mavic Pro 2 about 3 years ago after hearing about the Hasselblad camera thinking that I got a real steal. I even took and passed the commercial written test scoring 94. I thought the Pro 2 was the greatest until I discovered it wasn't, so I gave it to my nephew. Besides, the FAA was was in the process of requiring a flight plan just to fly my drone, and requiring an ID badge to fly it. The camera never seemed to be as good as it was supposed to be anyway.

I still had the urge to fly, so today I purchased a Mini 2. It's too small to tie a hydrogen bomb to, so the government isn't too worried about it. I don't even have to register it! Can't believe that I got it for $419 either.

No waypoints on Mini 2, no active track, no APAS, no obstacle avoidance, but for the money a really good drone. Enjoy.

If you're happy I'm happy. But I have a Mavic 2 Pro and a Mini 2. Each has its place. But in spite of pretty good paper specs on the Mini 2 the M2P still produced better image, often much better. The Mini 2 is great for flying in tight places, especially because I'm gun-shy about turning the APAS off on the M2P and still allergic to crashes.

I like my Mini 2 for a lot of things, particularly because it deploys a bit faster than the M2 and am happy to have both. I think had the Air2S been out at the time last year I'd only have one drone and the Air2s would be my choice.

I added the Air 2s to my fleet and find myself using it the most. Small and has high performance.

I have done exactly the same as you. I have sold my M2Z and now just have the Mini 2 which is a great little drone even though it doesn't do waypoints. The day of the big drone is coming to an end with all the rules and regulations. Hubsan have just brought out their sub 250 g drone the Zino Mini Pro which has a better spec than the Mini 2. It does waypoints and has a lot more advanced features than the Mini 2. If it proves to be reliable I may get one for Christmas.

The day of the big drone is coming to an end
Depends on what you use the drone for. Commercial pilots need drones with larger sensors for better images. Larger sensors usually mean larger drones. The Air 2s is perfect for having a smaller drone but has a 1-inch sensor for 20 MP images.

I fly the 2 pro and take a lot of video with it. I have been in photography since 1965 learning with still cameras like Nikon. One thing to keep in mind is taking good to great pictures there is a long learning curve. I am just learning now with the Pro 2 and what filters to use and when. Its a fun and educational experience. I watch a lot of YouTube videos on photography these guys have a lot to offer. Most of my flying is in the country away from the... "Neutral Zones..."

Depends on what you use the drone for. Commercial pilots need drones with larger sensors for better images. Larger sensors usually mean larger drones. The Air 2s is perfect for having a smaller drone but has a 1-inch sensor for 20 MP images.
The Air 2 is still over 250 g therefore it is not a small drone. Where I live it is subject to restrictive rules and regulations which will get worse in 2022. The Mini 2 is not subject to these rules. It only has a 12 MP camera but the new Hubsan has a 48 MP camera. This will force DJI to respond with a Mini 3 version very soon. The day of the big drone is coming to an end.

The Air 2 is still over 250 g therefore it is not a small drone. Where I live it is subject to restrictive rules and regulations which will get worse in 2022. The Mini 2 is not subject to these rules. It only has a 12 MP camera but the new Hubsan has a 48 MP camera. This will force DJI to respond with a Mini 3 version very soon. The day of the big drone is coming to an end.
I wouldn't put money on big drones coming to an end. When I was a kid I thought the Beetles group would never make it because their hair was too long. Like anything new there is a period of learning and adjusting. When drones first came out for consumers there was a drone in every house but times have changed the market has adjusted to where the drones are now more sophisticated and the people buying them are smarter (with exceptions). The days of flying a drone in controlled airspace is coming to an end. The only issue I have are the un-educated Karen's' that attack you un-provoked for flying in a park.

I fly the 2 pro and take a lot of video with it. I have been in photography since 1965 learning with still cameras like Nikon. One thing to keep in mind is taking good to great pictures there is a long learning curve. I am just learning now with the Pro 2 and what filters to use and when. Its a fun and educational experience. I watch a lot of YouTube videos on photography these guys have a lot to offer. Most of my flying is in the country away from the... "Neutral Zones..."
Well, I had about $15,000 worth of photography equipment, and was expecting great things from my Pro 2, but was disappointed. The right kind of drone for real photography is the kind of drone that can carry a DSLR for photography, and they cost $30,0000 and up.

I have done exactly the same as you. I have sold my M2Z and now just have the Mini 2 which is a great little drone even though it doesn't do waypoints. The day of the big drone is coming to an end with all the rules and regulations. Hubsan have just brought out their sub 250 g drone the Zino Mini Pro which has a better spec than the Mini 2. It does waypoints and has a lot more advanced features than the Mini 2. If it proves to be reliable I may get one for Christmas.
I found two methods of doing waypoints, Dronelink ($24 for lifetime), and Litchie for about the same price. They will work on the Mini2.

I found two methods of doing waypoints, Dronelink ($24 for lifetime), and Litchie for about the same price. They will work on the Mini2.
I have both Dronelink and Litchi. Neither work with the Mini 2!

Reactions: Mavic 57
Thanks for the info. Guess I will have to do without. I see that according to the info at What are the system requirements?, it might be a couple of months.
I've had my Mini 2 since November '20 and they have been talking about Dronelink from that date but it has never happened and I don't think it ever will. Roll on the Mini 3 or the Hubsan Zino Mini Pro!

I've had my Mini 2 since November '20 and they have been talking about Dronelink from that date but it has never happened and I don't think it ever will. Roll on the Mini 3 or the Hubsan Zino Mini Pro!
I contacted Jim McAndrew at Dronelink to ask him the reason for the delay, and this is what he said: "We have no control over it. You have to ask DJI when they plan to release the version of their SDK that will support it."

There is nothing magic about the 250g limit; it could easily be lowered. (IIRC it's lower in Japan.)

There's also nothing magic about pixels. Dividing the same size sensor into more pixels means each one collects less light so is more subject to noise etc. All else being equal a bigger sensor will give better images (especially in non-ideal conditions).

I've got a Mavic 2 and a Mini. Each has its place, but I find I get better images from the Mavic 2. (Shooting stills not video.)

There is nothing magic about the 250g limit; it could easily be lowered. (IIRC it's lower in Japan.)

There's also nothing magic about pixels. Dividing the same size sensor into more pixels means each one collects less light so is more subject to noise etc. All else being equal a bigger sensor will give better images (especially in non-ideal conditions).

I've got a Mavic 2 and a Mini. Each has its place, but I find I get better images from the Mavic 2. (Shooting stills not video.)
Thanks for info guys.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+