DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got Shut Down Due to a Presidenial Visit

Greatsign1

Reactions
Today I was grounded due to a temporary flight restriction. I was not able to take off. Does anyone know what would happen if I had taken off before the restriction was in effect, would Return to Home have kicked in or would have just been forced to land?

Attachments

• IMG_1938.PNG
    IMG_1938.PNG
    5.3 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1940.PNG
    IMG_1940.PNG
    727.1 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: Droniac
Today I was grounded due to a temporary flight restriction. I was not able to take off. Does anyone know what would happen if I had taken off before the restriction was in effect, would Return to Home have kicked in or would have just been forced to land?
My experience has been that you will not be able to take off. I am within a 40 mile radius of Wilmington,DE

I was unaware there was a temporary flight restriction and I was flying before it took effect, I just happened to be taking a break between flights when it took effect. I was wondering what would have happened if I were in the air when it took effect, would it land immediately or RTH?

There have been a few documented instances where a TFR went HOT/LIVE while the UAS was in the air previously and the UAS auto-landed without RTH. I think the one we read about the most was somewhere around the Golden Gate Bridge IIRC.

I know many people don't like the idea of it not doing a RTH but continued flight inside of a TFR could be potentially disastrous depending on the reason for the TFR. IT's very wise to check for TFR's with something besides just the apps we use for "Right now" type of data.

The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta starts in a couple of weeks with almost 600 balloons flying at the same time. I live only about 7 miles from the field so I expect a TFR to be in effect, but don't yet know how far it will extend.

Yes, but what happens when your inflight and the restriction goes into effect?
Read post #6 (literally right before yours).

Here's the thread I was thinking about when I posted earlier this morning:

The aircraft did AUTOLAND when the TFR went LIVE. It was NOT in San Francisco but over the Delaware river in Philadelphia.

Here's the thread I was thinking about when I posted earlier this morning:

The aircraft did AUTOLAND when the TFR went LIVE. It was NOT in San Francisco but over the Delaware river in Philadelphia.
Thanks for posting that extremely useful information. I had wondered about that possibility myself but had not researched it. Take heed everyone!

Reactions: Droniac and BigAl07
Unless the behavior has changed, DJI, should offer a means of a controlled, landing.

Just dropping out of the sky because its TFR time is not a solution, but merely creates new problems and chances are, despite the hyperbole, whatever is taking place during the TFR event is NOT happening at the exact moment that it kicks in..

It should display a warning, and give you a 3-5 minutes to land safely.. not sure what it would take to get DJI to take some action? And to place the all the onus on the pilot to be aware of every TFR that comes along is a little much to me, specially if your in an area where they are far and few between.

When in forced landing you can still steer the aircraft and slow down/stop the descent by pushing the throttle stick up which should allow you to come back already.

When in forced landing you can still steer the aircraft and slow down/stop the descent by pushing the throttle stick up which should allow you to come back already.
As i understand it, you get some limited lateral movement, which depending on where you are, may not be enough to safely recover the AC. It may wind up landing in water, on buildings, people, traffic.

If someone really thinks that thwacking complete control, when it could be easily programmed for normal flight with warnings, for a few minutes to recover your AC within a few minutes of the implementation of a TFR zone, is a good idea, not sure what to make of that...

I just see no way if a 9AM TFR kicks in, that the reason for that TFR is going to occur within the first few minutes, if they do, is it going to happen right where you are flying? these exemption areas are in most cases huge..

Last edited:
I just see no way if a 9AM TFR kicks in, that the reason for that TFR is going to occur within the first few minutes, if they do, is it going to happen right where you are flying? these exemption areas are in most cases huge..
That doesn't matter the slightest, between time X and Y you have no right to being in flight in the area, end of story. Whoever set it up might have put some margin buffer, but said margin buffer is not meant to be eaten into.
If a full scale pilot is seen in a TFR 1 minute after it opened or 100m inside a 100 mile restricted zone they're going to get a call and investigation.

That doesn't matter the slightest, between time X and Y you have no right to being in flight in the area, end of story. Whoever set it up might have put some margin buffer, but said margin buffer is not meant to be eaten into.
If a full scale pilot is seen in a TFR 1 minute after it opened or 100m inside a 100 mile restricted zone they're going to get a call and investigation.
Absolutes apply in rare cases, this is not one of them. There is zero reason to force a drone down within moments when a TFR becomes active if you happen to be flying when one comes up. , and if you think it is, you're just wrong... should police pull you over for doing 51 in a 50 zone? they allow some leeway on that don't they.. Three are probably other examples of overkill as well..

should police pull you over for doing 51 in a 50 zone? they allow some leeway on that don't they.. Three are probably other examples of overkill as well..
That's not even a close example.

Better would be that you are driving in an area marked Military Property, No Trespassing. Even if you don't see a sign around Area 51 (as an example) if you cross into the property via the desert, they will be there within minutes to stop you and investigate you. There is NO leeway.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent