DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPC cases PSA

rustykfd

Reactions
Just want to give a heads up for a problem I encountered this weekend.

So let’s say you purchase the very best protection you can for your drone or at least what I think should be good protection. You load your drone in the back of your jeep that doesn’t have a top for an eight hour trip in the mountains in the snow and the mud. You put the jeep back on the trailer, you stow the drone in your truck and you go home.

The next morning you start unloading things and you notice a little hole on the top of the GPC case that shouldn’t be there. You open the case to find your drone covered in moisture along with your smart controller. We’ll see how my drying out project goes.

The moral of the story is you should all check the vent assembly on your GPC case. My vent came apart due to the vibrations and left my case vented to the atmosphere, the snow, the mud and the grime. It’s only “IP67” rated, if it’s still in one piece. I’ll be installing mine with some silicone on the threads to keep it from vibrating loose again.

e16fb75d0da6181ded9d06bc7f874094.jpg
a0114b726b3ab268d15dd72b9a45d7b2.jpg
da51b0520900ede6f4b17d769ac4495f.jpg
7796d413402336b73bda12273c0e050c.jpg

619b705a2a61f8a8c181b9bd8df20681.jpg
0ffc3ad2074ad20cdfb6427868b9ce9c.jpg

Thanks for posting, in that I just received that same case for my M2P last week, I’m now going to check out the vent ports on that case since I also travel in adverse environments.
Blue skies from SoCal

Reactions: rustykfd
Are GPC cases better than Pelican cases? That’s all we used in the Marine Corps to store expensive optics and rifles, I’d imagine their drone cases would be superior albeit more expensive.

Just want to give a heads up for a problem I encountered this weekend.

So let’s say you purchase the very best protection you can for your drone or at least what I think should be good protection. You load your drone in the back of your jeep that doesn’t have a top for an eight hour trip in the mountains in the snow and the mud. You put the jeep back on the trailer, you stow the drone in your truck and you go home.

The next morning you start unloading things and you notice a little hole on the top of the GPC case that shouldn’t be there. You open the case to find your drone covered in moisture along with your smart controller. We’ll see how my drying out project goes.

The moral of the story is you should all check the vent assembly on your GPC case. My vent came apart due to the vibrations and left my case vented to the atmosphere, the snow, the mud and the grime. It’s only “IP67” rated, if it’s still in one piece. I’ll be installing mine with some silicone on the threads to keep it from vibrating loose again.

e16fb75d0da6181ded9d06bc7f874094.jpg
a0114b726b3ab268d15dd72b9a45d7b2.jpg
da51b0520900ede6f4b17d769ac4495f.jpg
7796d413402336b73bda12273c0e050c.jpg

619b705a2a61f8a8c181b9bd8df20681.jpg
0ffc3ad2074ad20cdfb6427868b9ce9c.jpg

Contact GPC and see if warranty will cover it and your drone. Sweet Jeep btw! Thumbswayup[emoji1303][emoji16]

Are GPC cases better than Pelican cases? That’s all we used in the Marine Corps to store expensive optics and rifles, I’d imagine their drone cases would be superior albeit more expensive.

Pelican is superior in my opinion. I’ve had and used many Pelican cases in military, public safety and personal life. I’ve had 1 Pelican fail from old age, no other failures.

Don’t get me wrong, I think GPC cases are good, but I don’t think they are a direct comparison to Pelican.

Reactions: WingsAA
Contact GPC and see if warranty will cover it and your drone. Sweet Jeep btw! Thumbswayup[emoji1303][emoji16]

They offered to send me replacement parts for my case. We didn’t correspond about the potential damage to my M2P.

The drone/controller spent last night in the plenum of my HVAC, after dehumidifier and HEPA filter. I pulled it out this afternoon and it looks dry. I hovered it for a battery to warm things up and circulate air through it. All seems ok. It’s back in the HVAC for another day or 2.

BTW Thanks, I like this Jeep a bunch.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear and hope all dries out well.
Good practice for all pressure relief screw cap cases.

I've got nearly a dozen GPC cases and guess what ALL of them are getting this weekend.... yes a once over and some silicone on the threads just to be safe.

I've never had a Pelican case fail (yet) and I've used them for decades for cameras, Personal Safety equip, and firearms. Some of them have seen some HORRIBLE abuse and are still going strong.

On the same note I have several (and have had for a good while) GPC cases with zero failures but I do admit I have not abused my GPC cases like I have my various Pelican cases.

I'm also adding GPC Case inspection to our department Maintenance List right now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143